The Student Room Group

Computer Science applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JonnyXDA
Sorry, that's not the way I meant it to sound :frown: I meant for switching over from bachelors course to masters, the uni assesses you to make sure they think that you'll be able to cope with it etc.

For me, initially C3 trig was like :eek: but now I've finished the entire module it makes more sense and I find a lot easier, not looking forward to C4 though, apparently that's meant to be a b****.

Haha I understood what you meant :P

And of course, C4. The dreaded module. Not so bad if you do FP1 or the final **** FP3 though, eh?

Also how did you finish C3 already, I really need to get moving if that came from out of lesson extra work.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by El-Presidente
Sugar when did you apply? I hope York gets back to me.

It got sent off by my school on Thursday 16th October but UCAS didn't process it and send it off to the uni's until Monday 20th October.

York sent me a letter through the post (dated 21st, I received it on the 23rd/24th) saying I had the standard AAB offer but could attend an optional interview on 1st November with the chance to get it lowered by one grade.

I'm not the most academic person (I decided to resit year 12 as originally my grades were CDDD) but I do a lot of additional work in areas of computer science, music and drama so I really had nothing to lose by going to the interview and now my final offer stands at ABB :smile:
Original post by El-Presidente
Haha I understood what you meant :P

And of course, C4. The dreaded module. Not so bad if you do FP1 or the final **** FP3 though, eh?

Also how did you finish C3 already, I really need to get moving if that came from out of lesson extra work.

Lol. Progress depends upon what exam board you're on. I'm on ed-excel and we don't have a trig integration chapter until C4 but a mate I know from work is on AQA and has that module in C3 so he hasn't finished C3 yet.
It got sent off by my school on Thursday 16th October but UCAS didn't process it and send it off to the uni's until Monday 20th October.

York sent me a letter through the post (dated 21st, I received it on the 23rd/24th) saying I had the standard AAB offer but could attend an optional interview on 1st November with the chance to get it lowered by one grade.

I'm not the most academic person (I decided to resit year 12 as originally my grades were CDDD) but I do a lot of additional work in areas of computer science, music and drama so I really had nothing to lose by going to the interview and now my final offer stands at ABB :smile:

Bugger.

Applied last Wednesday which was 6 days ago. Hopefully I will get something through soon.

I achieved ABCC last year so hopefully they will be lenient about my AS grades.

And good on you for being honest, if I might add!
My IGCSE: 2A, 5B, 1C
AS levels: CDD Physics, Chemistry, Biology
I picked up maths in my a2 and dropped biology
don't have predicted grades yet. I am most worried about the fact that the bad AS levels grades would not make good schools consider me. I am resitting my physics and chemistry as modules alongside a2 modules including all the math modules

Looking at: Aston, Bath, Birmingham, Kent, university college London, Southampton, Bristol.
I know because of my grades I cant be picky but I am looking for a university with a really lively atmosphere and good student life. Not a dull, boring, quiet place
Please help :0 :smile:
Original post by Ekemini
don't have predicted grades yet. I am most worried about the fact that the bad AS levels grades would not make good schools consider me. I am resitting my physics and chemistry as modules alongside a2 modules including all the math modules

Looking at: Aston, Bath, Birmingham, Kent, university college London, Southampton, Bristol.
I know because of my grades I cant be picky but I am looking for a university with a really lively atmosphere and good student life. Not a dull, boring, quiet place

Nope I think if your predictions are ABB or higher you can easily get those unis! At least the offers haha

Posted from TSR Mobile
My IGCSE: 2a,5b,1c
As levels: CDD (biology, physics and chemistry.)(not proud of this)
I am worried my As results will affect my predicted grades and would not make good universities consider me. I dropped biology and picked up maths. so I am resitting physics and chemistry as modules as well as math (P1,P3.M1,S1).
Looking at: university college london, Kings college London, aston, Birmingham, Southampton, kent. I am a really lively person and gets bored easily. I come from a big lively city so I am looking forward to going to a lively university as well.
Original post by Ekemini

UCL, Bath, Bristol, Southampton, Birmingham all have very high entry requirements I think simply going by the relative fame of the Universities. And to be honest if my, spontaneous, assessment is correct you don't stand a chance at those. (Neither would I with AAB predicted)

Kent is ABB, and Aston is ABB-BBB I think. Again, all depends on your predictions.

Try looking around the BBB range I guess, Huddersfield for example. As long as you get work experience you'll be fine post-degree.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by lollipopsftw
Nope I think if your predictions are ABB or higher you can easily get those unis! At least the offers haha

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thank you. You have no idea how much I am panicking that my whole future hangs in the balance and could be bleak because I made a few stupid mistakes in my AS Levels:frown:. Thank you
Original post by Ekemini
Thank you. You have no idea how much I am panicking that my whole future hangs in the balance and could be bleak because I made a few stupid mistakes in my AS Levels:frown:. Thank you

I got a BDDE in my AS levels and have offers from nottingham, York, Warwick and bath!

Posted from TSR Mobile
It's ok your teachers making you good predictions, but if they go over the moon vs AS performance the Universities will struggle to believe them unless there are some very exceptional circumstances.
I got a BDDE in my AS levels and have offers from nottingham, York, Warwick and bath!

Posted from TSR Mobile
That is so cool. Congratulations!. That helps ease the worry. But what did you get for your final a level grades. Because I am worried that once schools see the As results they will just skip over your application and wont even consider you

Posted from TSR Mobile

But will they be achievable offers? Standard offers for Bristol and UCL is A*AA for just the basic CS BSci course. Bath, Southhampton and Birmingham are all AAA.

Thing to remember is even if you can't apply to or get offers from the "top" uni's it doesn't necessarily hamper you if you're prepared to work hard.

For example, Chris Banes studied computer science at Aston University and now currently works for Google on the Android Developer Relations team (and recently gave a talk at DroidCon London)
But will they be achievable offers? Standard offers for Bristol and UCL is A*AA for just the basic CS BSci course. Bath, Southhampton and Birmingham are all AAA.

Thing to remember is even if you can't apply to or get offers from the "top" uni's it doesn't necessarily hamper you if you're prepared to work hard.

For example, Chris Banes studied computer science at Aston University and now currently works for Google on the Android Developer Relations team (and recently gave a talk at DroidCon London)

This. Experience is the key to success.

Employers don't give a toss. If two people approached them for a job, one from Newcastle and one from Cambridge. If the person from Newcastle has good work experience (i.e. a YINI) they will hire him instead, more people need to realise that.
Original post by Ekemini

See my post above about Chris Banes. Going to a top uni is not the be all and end all.

Also speaking from experience... I messed up AS-Levels first time round as well and I'm not going to lie to you, it sucks... but you just gotta pick yourself up from there, realize where you went wrong and make one hell of an effort to improve.

Me, I relied too much on my memory which got me the kind of grades at GCSE that most people had to work for... ultimately though this was my downfall as when it came to it, I just didn't know how to revise and thus spent a lot of time not revising. So in my resit year I basically had to change my entire attitude to the way I worked and revised.

You're already on the road as you've accepted you made mistakes - there are some people in my psychology class who got C's all the way down to E's and seem to have just buried their heads in the sand and keep acting in the same cocky way they did last year thinking they'll still be able to breeze through it and come out with A's or B's.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by niamhfw
i had an interview at imperial on 5th november after sending my application on 2nd october. haven't heard anything since. didn't apply to ucl

I did not heard anything from ucl...
Original post by Ekemini
That is so cool. Congratulations!. That helps ease the worry. But what did you get for your final a level grades. Because I am worried that once schools see the As results they will just skip over your application and wont even consider you

I'm doing A2 currently
Did anyone received an offer from KCL, UCL, Edinburgh or Leeds?
Hello fellow peepz.

Other Unis - Imperial, Warwick, Birmingham, Southampton. AAA from Warwick and A*AA from Bham.
Grades - 10A*s GCSE, 4As at AS (Physics, Maths(A2), Computing, Electronics).
A2 predicted - A*A*A*A (Maths, Computing, Electronics, Further Maths)

As you can tell life is fun

Computer Science ftw.
Not quite Computer Science but I applied for Software Engineering at University of Manchester, Manchester Met, Huddersfield and Salford.

My preferred choice is UoM for obvious reasons but I just put that hoping for the best since my AS grades weren't very good and I didn't expect to get into very good Unis.

GCSE: 5A's 3B's 1C
AS: A - Electronics, C - Computing, C- Physics, D - Maths, B - IT (Taken a year early at HS)
Predicted A2: A - Electronics, B - Computing, C - Maths.

I am resitting C2 of AS Maths, In C1 I was only 1 mark off an A but I just lost it with the rest of my exams.

I have already received an offer of BBC from ManMet and have an interview for UoM on the 18th November. I must be the luckiest guy alive to have still gotten that interview.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending