The Student Room Group

Is it worth doing a Pharmacy degree with the current job prospects?

I'm currently an A level student, predicted AAAAA at AS (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Literature and Citizenship) and am looking for a career in Pharmacy. I know that medicine isn't for me, since I prefer chemistry to biology and would not like such a tiring, demanding job (though I am aware that pharmacy requires great dedication and is also rather demanding).

However, since the current job prospects for pharmacy aren't so great, I'm wondering whether it's still worth studying it. I really hope not. I want to study something I love, but at the same time I've worked so hard for my grades (my parents don't even have any GCSEs!) and I don't want to waste my potential.

Any advice?

:smile:
Reply 1
The best advice I can give you is doing the thing that you love over anything, that's where you will find your true " potential". I am a recent pharmacy graduate, currently preparing for my board exams in Canada and job prospects there for pharmacists is great and the pay is great as well. I got into it originally for the money, but I am pretty miserable now because I didn't choose the thing that I love. Look, you only unlock your true potential in innovation and hard work when you do the thing that you love and with that, you will always find a way to live a rewarding life, both socially and financially. I am planning to only work in pharmacy for a few years to save up and start my own business in fitness, which is the thing I have always been passionate about and I am going to leave pharmacy for good. Maybe work as a relief for 8-16 hours a month at max. If I were to do it all over again, I would have probably done physio or sport science and I am telling you this now so that you don't find yourself in my situation in a few years time.
Reply 2
Original post by sherifd
The best advice I can give you is doing the thing that you love over anything, that's where you will find your true " potential". I am a recent pharmacy graduate, currently preparing for my board exams in Canada and job prospects there for pharmacists is great and the pay is great as well. I got into it originally for the money, but I am pretty miserable now because I didn't choose the thing that I love. Look, you only unlock your true potential in innovation and hard work when you do the thing that you love and with that, you will always find a way to live a rewarding life, both socially and financially. I am planning to only work in pharmacy for a few years to save up and start my own business in fitness, which is the thing I have always been passionate about and I am going to leave pharmacy for good. Maybe work as a relief for 8-16 hours a month at max. If I were to do it all over again, I would have probably done physio or sport science and I am telling you this now so that you don't find yourself in my situation in a few years time.

Did you complete your pharmacy degree in England?
Reply 3
No, I did it in Cairo, Egypt, but the University I did it at is affiliated with Greenwich University. I am currently doing the board exam to be licensed in Canada.
Reply 4
As a fifth year pharmacy student, I would recommend not to. With your predicted grades you can do better. When I first started my course there were job prospects but so much has changed within these five years its shocking. Do NOT do pharmacy!
Reply 5
Original post by MsTyrell
I'm currently an A level student, predicted AAAAA at AS (Biology, Chemistry, Maths, English Literature and Citizenship) and am looking for a career in Pharmacy. I know that medicine isn't for me, since I prefer chemistry to biology and would not like such a tiring, demanding job (though I am aware that pharmacy requires great dedication and is also rather demanding).

However, since the current job prospects for pharmacy aren't so great, I'm wondering whether it's still worth studying it. I really hope not. I want to study something I love, but at the same time I've worked so hard for my grades (my parents don't even have any GCSEs!) and I don't want to waste my potential.

Any advice?

:smile:

Pharmacy is a great job to go into, but i'll be honest the prospects of getting a job when you graduate aren't very good at the moment, if you want to work in community.
Considering that we are part of the EU so many european pharmacists are working here (and they are really good trust me!), Experienced older pharmacists are working longer - less are retiring and A new pharmacy school is opening up to add to the odd 27 that already exist- its going to be tough to get a job and get paid decently!
The degree will be changing to become a five year degree soon.

check out the course and the kinds of modules offered- maybe visit a few open days to see what it is like? Also check out websites like GPhC and pharmaceutical journal- they make help you to make a decision. Also, pharmacy has quite a bit of biology in it- you have to understand how a body organ works before you can apply the chemistry of the drug to it. (i'd say its fifty fifty for biology and chemistry) xx hope ive helped
Reply 6
I've written about this topic extensively on a different thread, here:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3818029&p=69611840&page=2&highlight=#post69611840

All I would add, as others here have said, don't go into pharmacy for the money - it's extremely poorly paid when you consider the relatively high entry requirements, responsibility and length of study. It's a vocation that you must be committed to...your dream job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending