The Student Room Group

Hate my degree but feel stuck

Hi guys,I really could do with some advice on this!So basically, I did my A levels in sciences, secured BBB in biology, chemistry and geography (not the best I know). And I then applied to study pharmacy at quite a good university, and actually managed to secure an offer.

I’m almost at the end of my first year, and I just don’t feel motivated enough to pursue this degree. I also find the community pharmacy environment rather depressing, and I know there’s options to go into industry, or hospital pharmacy, but what would be the point if my soul just isn’t meant for this degree?

But my problem is that I can’t move back home, and that I have no idea what degree would be worth doing that actually grants me a stable career with good job prospects.

Not to mention the fact that my A levels would be too low to consider something like law, or any other degree that I would actually enjoy, or that would grant me good job prospects.

I can’t survive without my student loan either, and considering that I can’t move back home, I’m basically chained to a degree I hate. I don’t know what to do. I’m not sure anyone else will know either, but if you guys have any recommendations for degrees or just any advice, I really really would appreciate it!
(edited 1 month ago)
Reply 1
Just having a degree is gateway in to many different types of graduate job. You can choose from technical and business roles, R&D, manufacturing and retail management etc. One of my friends joined a graduate accountancy scheme and is now a high flying business consultant. There are also graduate law conversion routes. Talk with your tutor or admissions about viable course swaps too.
Hey there,

I would start by writing down a list of all your options. From your post alone, it sounds like you have at least the following options available:

Continue your degree

Discontinue your degree and obtain a full-time job to support yourself financially

Explore other education options

For each option, start by writing down all the pro’s and con’s to help you make an accurate assessment of your current position.

When deciding whether to continue your degree, ask yourself the following questions:

Did you choose your degree specifically because you wanted to work in pharmacy?

Do you value having a degree from a reputable university regardless of the subject?

If you no longer want to work in pharmacy, there are still plenty of career options available to you by obtaining a degree. You will gain transferable skills through your studies that employers will value. Yougov research has shown that only 23% of workers with a degree work in a field directly related to their subject.

Alternatively, if you decide to discontinue your studies, you have the option of gaining skills and experience by entering full-time work, which would hopefully also remove the dependence on your student loan through the money you earn.

Other education options to consider include alternative degrees, vocational training, apprenticeships, or postgraduate conversion courses if you do continue your pharmacy degree.

My main advice would be that no matter which path you choose, you are not chained to a specific career choice! You have the option to try things and change your career. Try to learn as much as you can about yourself to understand what you enjoy, what your values are, what your strengths are, and what type of work environment you think you’ll be well-suited to.

Hope this helps.

@thecareerpages
(edited 1 month ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending