The Student Room Group

Career/ what to study at uni

I was just wondering if anyone could give me insight on which jobs/degree have high paying salaries and good job prospects. What I have an idea to study at uni is: Pharmacy, Biotech, Medicine.
And what I've taken for AS is chemistry, bio and psychology.
Could people please recommend high paying jobs + degrees to study based on what I said thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by Benzoic Acid
I was just wondering if anyone could give me insight on which jobs/degree have high paying salaries and good job prospects. What I have an idea to study at uni is: Pharmacy, Biotech, Medicine.
Could people please recommend high paying jobs + degrees to study based on what I said thanks.

With respect, I think you are looking at this all wrong. What you do enjoy? What will you enjoy doing? Do you like working with people or alone? Do you like helping people or do you prefer to keep your head down? Do you think about the bigger picture or the small detail? When you have figured that out, it will help you focus on potential career paths and that will help you focus on what degree (if any) you need. High paying salaries are all well and good, but what is the point in earning lots of money if you are stressed and miserable as sin for 8 hours a day?
Reply 2
Original post by hotpud
With respect, I think you are looking at this all wrong. What you do enjoy? What will you enjoy doing? Do you like working with people or alone? Do you like helping people or do you prefer to keep your head down? Do you think about the bigger picture or the small detail? When you have figured that out, it will help you focus on potential career paths and that will help you focus on what degree (if any) you need. High paying salaries are all well and good, but what is the point in earning lots of money if you are stressed and miserable as sin for 8 hours a day?

I don't mind helping people which is why I've thought of medicine and pharmacy+ research and discovery is what also interess me. But I don't think I could ever do an office job. I prefer a job where's there's always progression and it just has to be interesting.
Reply 3

But foremost all I want is job security and a job where I can live comfortably
Reply 4
I don't mind helping people which is why I've thought of medicine and pharmacy+ research and discovery is what also interess me. But I don't think I could ever do an office job. I prefer a job where's there's always progression and it just has to be interesting.

Well that's a start I suppose. But there is a big difference between doing something you don't mind and whole heartedly enjoying something. I didn't mind software development but it drove me insane before I career changed. Medicine is exceedingly intense and not very well paid to start with. Is being a pharmacist much different to working in an office?
Reply 5
Original post by hotpud
Well that's a start I suppose. But there is a big difference between doing something you don't mind and whole heartedly enjoying something. I didn't mind software development but it drove me insane before I career changed. Medicine is exceedingly intense and not very well paid to start with. Is being a pharmacist much different to working in an office?

There different specialties in pharmacy e.g hospital pharmacy have you on a rota, running around a hospital etc and ig industrial pharmacy is more office based. It's hard to say what I would enjoy as a career as I don't have any experience in it.
Reply 6
It's hard to say what I would enjoy as a career as I don't have any experience in it.

Hmmmm - there is a solution in there somewhere but I just can't quite put my finger one it!

Spoiler

Reply 7
Original post by hotpud
Hmmmm - there is a solution in there somewhere but I just can't quite put my finger one it!

Spoiler

💔💔

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending