The Student Room Group

EPQ Ideas?

So I've decided to do an EPQ on a topic related to the perception of beauty, but I don't know how to refine this topic, how to go about researching it or even whether or not to do an essay as the end product or something more creative.

Any advice?
It depends entirely from what subject perspective you want to approach it.

If you're taking art for example it could be on the changing perception of beauty in portraits through time.

If you're taking psychology for example it could be on people's perception of beauty at different ages, for example showing a range of people of different ages different pictures of women and asking them to rate their beauty on a scale of 1-10.

Just two random ideas but as you can see it will be very different depending on what your subject interests are. Perhaps ask the teacher for the subject in question (art, psychology, etc) if they could help narrow your ideas down?
Reply 2
Original post by moutonfou
It depends entirely from what subject perspective you want to approach it.

If you're taking art for example it could be on the changing perception of beauty in portraits through time.

If you're taking psychology for example it could be on people's perception of beauty at different ages, for example showing a range of people of different ages different pictures of women and asking them to rate their beauty on a scale of 1-10.

Just two random ideas but as you can see it will be very different depending on what your subject interests are. Perhaps ask the teacher for the subject in question (art, psychology, etc) if they could help narrow your ideas down?

Well I'm applying to do anthropology and sociology at university, so I was thinking of doing it with those subjects in mind. I really love the idea of asking children though! Do you know how I could relate that to sociology somehow? And the teacher doing the EPQ at our school is an English teacher, so said she wasn't sure and gave me ideas to do with fashion and anorexia.
Original post by FunsoFH
Well I'm applying to do anthropology and sociology at university, so I was thinking of doing it with those subjects in mind. I really love the idea of asking children though! Do you know how I could relate that to sociology somehow? And the teacher doing the EPQ at our school is an English teacher, so said she wasn't sure and gave me ideas to do with fashion and anorexia.

Sounds interesting! Something quite current is female role models for young girls and the idea they are picking poor ones (e.g. hyper-sexualised pop stars, models, etc.) over more 'worthy' ones (athletes, politicians, etc.) Maybe it could be something simple like showing young girls a range of pictures of different female role models and asking them how much they would like to be like them on a scale of 1-10, and to pick three words to describe them from a range of words such as "pretty" "well-dressed" "strong" "powerful" "independent" "talented". You could see patterns such as that girls want to be more like the people they think are "pretty" than the people they think are "strong" or "powerful".

Just one idea but I'm sure there are lots of things you could do! Just keep it simple and always have in mind at the start what you want your result to be. If you are going to be involving people in your study you'll also need to talk to your sociology teacher about consent forms etc/how best to go about it.
Reply 4
Original post by moutonfou
Sounds interesting! Something quite current is female role models for young girls and the idea they are picking poor ones (e.g. hyper-sexualised pop stars, models, etc.) over more 'worthy' ones (athletes, politicians, etc.) Maybe it could be something simple like showing young girls a range of pictures of different female role models and asking them how much they would like to be like them on a scale of 1-10, and to pick three words to describe them from a range of words such as "pretty" "well-dressed" "strong" "powerful" "independent" "talented". You could see patterns such as that girls want to be more like the people they think are "pretty" than the people they think are "strong" or "powerful".

Just one idea but I'm sure there are lots of things you could do! Just keep it simple and always have in mind at the start what you want your result to be. If you are going to be involving people in your study you'll also need to talk to your sociology teacher about consent forms etc/how best to go about it.

Wow you're ideas are awesome haha! I think I'm going to look into the one about female role models too, maybe whether society is becoming more, I suppose, 'sexist' in a way? Because of the names females are referred to and how they are portrayed in modern culture. Also, I don't study sociology for A-level (unfortunately), so do you recommend I talk to a sociology teacher? Or would it be fine to discuss the consent forms and admin with my EPQ teacher?
Original post by FunsoFH
Wow you're ideas are awesome haha! I think I'm going to look into the one about female role models too, maybe whether society is becoming more, I suppose, 'sexist' in a way? Because of the names females are referred to and how they are portrayed in modern culture. Also, I don't study sociology for A-level (unfortunately), so do you recommend I talk to a sociology teacher? Or would it be fine to discuss the consent forms and admin with my EPQ teacher?

Sounds good! Yes I'm sure your EPQ teacher will have had people do questionnaires/studies before so will be able to advise on what you need to do consent-wise.

Quick Reply

Latest