The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Manchester Life Sciences Interviews

I have applied for Molecular Biology at Manchester. I was wondering when they give out invitations to interview, as I have looked on the website and searched the forum and not found anything useful. I sent my application on the 1st Oct.

Also I have heard that the interviews take place on a visit day and are informal - so no suits which is my usual interview wear. If anybody has advice about what people tend to wear that would be very helpful.

Scroll to see replies

I think some people already have interviews for manchester (but i think it was different departments). Just wear something that you feel comfortable in :smile:
What were your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? :smile: I'm also applying to manchester btw :smile:
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
I can't speak for Life Sciences specifically but yes, interviews are usually informal so there's no need to wear a suit. You usually get a chance to look around and talk to current students as well.
I sent my application on 3rd October for biochemistry and received an invitation to interview 2 days ago. My interview is on 5th November but yours might not necessarily be. Manchester also sent me this link which has everything you need to know about interviews, it says on there what you should wear (basically just comfortable clothes).
http://www.ls.manchester.ac.uk/interviewday/
Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by hadukilami
I think some people already have interviews for manchester (but i think it was different departments). Just wear something that you feel comfortable in :smile:
What were your predicted grades if you don't mind me asking? :smile: I'm also applying to manchester btw :smile:

I am applying during my gap year. I have A*A*ABb in A Level Bio, Chem, Phys, Maths and AS F Maths.

Original post by lucymellor
I sent my application on 3rd October for biochemistry and received an invitation to interview 2 days ago. My interview is on 5th November but yours might not necessarily be. Manchester also sent me this link which has everything you need to know about interviews, it says on there what you should wear (basically just comfortable clothes).
http://www.ls.manchester.ac.uk/interviewday/
Good luck!

Ok, so I'll expect to hear something relatively soon. Thanks for the info :smile:
I applied to Manchester last year but for an unrelated course (speech and language therapy) - our interview was very structured with a written interview informal talks about the course a tour and chat with current students. I know other people who applied for more "normal" degree choices (such as geography) and they had a brief face to face informal chat type interview. No need to really dress up but I would suggest smart casual rather then scruffy jeans. I didn't get an invite to interview till November time (with interview date of 4 December). Then had to wait till end of March for an offer but others I know heard a few days after the interview for other courses. Each dept has its own rules/time frames - depends on the course.

Good luck
Original post by nerdcake
Ok, so I'll expect to hear something relatively soon. Thanks for the info :smile:

You're welcome:smile: by the way, did you ever receive an acknowledgement from Manchester? I never did, so after 2 weeks I emailed them just to check they had my application because I was panicking, then they emailed back saying they did have it and they were sorry they never emailed me. Then I got my interview on the same day... curious as to whether this was a coincidence or not. So it might be worth emailing them if you haven't heard anything.
You're welcome:smile: by the way, did you ever receive an acknowledgement from Manchester? I never did, so after 2 weeks I emailed them just to check they had my application because I was panicking, then they emailed back saying they did have it and they were sorry they never emailed me. Then I got my interview on the same day... curious as to whether this was a coincidence or not. So it might be worth emailing them if you haven't heard anything.

Hey what grades are you predicted if you don't mind me asking? :smile:
Reply 8

It could be worth trying, although I have heard that admissions officers don't take kindly to people who email just to check up on their application instead of waiting for Track to update. But clearly it worked out ok for you :smile:

I know that not all unis acknowledge applications as I recieved offers from Liverpool and Sheffield without them acknowledging me. Did most people get email acknowledgements from Manchester then?

I have to say that last year Manchester didn't seem to update Track - from application to offer my track just said the university was considering my application - the invite to interview etc was all done through personal emails.
Hey what grades are you predicted if you don't mind me asking? :smile:

A*A*AA in biology, chemistry, maths and psychology:smile: what are yours and what course are you applying for?
A*A*AA in biology, chemistry, maths and psychology:smile: what are yours and what course are you applying for?

I'm going to apply for biology, but I'm worried i wont get in :/ My teachers haven't decided on my predicted grades yet but it'll be anything from A*ABB to ABBB in french, biology, chemistry and maths :smile:
Reply 12
Original post by AmyPilot
I have to say that last year Manchester didn't seem to update Track - from application to offer my track just said the university was considering my application - the invite to interview etc was all done through personal emails.

The Faculty of Life Sciences website says that interviews are given through Track and you have to confirm attendance through Track as well, so I'm guessing that's something else that varies between departments.

I've just thought of something - I use gmail, and I know they're known for sometimes blocking random stuff as spam. Can someone with a gmail address confirm that UoM emails come through into their inbox OK?
I'm going to apply for biology, but I'm worried i wont get in :/ My teachers haven't decided on my predicted grades yet but it'll be anything from A*ABB to ABBB in french, biology, chemistry and maths :smile:

You could still get a conditional offer with those grades, have you talked to your teachers and asked them to predict you at the higher end of that scale? At my sixth form if you could prove to your teacher you would work hard enough to get the next grade up, they would up your predicted grade:smile:

That seems odd, my interview was offered to me through Track
The Faculty of Life Sciences website says that interviews are given through Track and you have to confirm attendance through Track as well, so I'm guessing that's something else that varies between departments.

I've just thought of something - I use gmail, and I know they're known for sometimes blocking random stuff as spam. Can someone with a gmail address confirm that UoM emails come through into their inbox OK?

It may well have changed in a year - if I remember correctly it was all a bit rushed - think it was the first year they had used this process to pick out applicants for this course.

I have a Hotmail account and didn't have any problems with Manchester though some emails from other unis went to my junk mail so I would check just in case.

Good luck to you all - hope the interviews go well. I am not at Manchester as it was my insurance choice only but I did spend a lot of time there during year 12 as I participated in a local scheme they run and I always got a good feeling about the place!

That seems odd, my interview was offered to me through Track
Reply 15
I have a Hotmail account and didn't have any problems with Manchester though some emails from other unis went to my junk mail so I would check just in case.

I checked my spam folder, and it says that spam emails are only deleted after 30 days, so at least I know anything that arrived since I sent in my application is still in there. Nothing from Manchester though.
I checked my spam folder, and it says that spam emails are only deleted after 30 days, so at least I know anything that arrived since I sent in my application is still in there. Nothing from Manchester though.

Sure you will hear something soon - with your grades it should definitely be an invitation to interview surely!? You will get the invite then it will become a manic rush with only days to go before the big event then the wait for the offer - oh so glad I am now off that rollercoaster ride!!! Fingers crossed for you.
Reply 17
hadukilami

HandmadeTurnip

AmyPilot

Did you all get email acknowledgements from Manchester when you applied? I'm trying to work out if they usually send one (and I should email to ask about not having had one) or not.
Did you all get email acknowledgements from Manchester when you applied? I'm trying to work out if they usually send one (and I should email to ask about not having had one) or not.

I can't really remember but I don't think so. I think the first thing I heard from them was when they sent me a letter inviting me to an interview.

Just trawled back through my emails - I did get an acknowledgement email from Manchester last year

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending