The Student Room Group

Should 'Page 3' be banned?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by JacobB13
And another thing, it promotes unrealistic views of a woman's physique, most of the models on page 3 have probably had breast augmentation surgery.

Page 3 models are not allowed to have had boob jobs.
Original post by pane123
No, your statement was so ridiculous and void of reason that my comparison was sound.

Your view is totally one sided and other posters have highlighted the flaws, which seem to be present in most of the views of people who are anti page 3.

You totally just avoided all the valid points I made, if you can't have a real debate with real reason behind your logic then don't debate at all.
Original post by pane123
Page 3 models are not allowed to have had boob jobs.

And I am sure they are telling the truth....

care to elaborate on what you would think about a man being printed on page 3 with the description I gave previously?
You totally just avoided all the valid points I made, if you can't have a real debate with real reason behind your logic then don't debate at all.

I specifically didn't ignore them. I deliberately the mentioned the fact that other posters have highlighted the flaws in your opinion, which is much the same as many posters before you.
And I am sure they are telling the truth....

care to elaborate on what you would think about a man being printed on page 3 with the description I gave previously?

I wouldn't care. I have no problem with magazines like Heat printing "celeb torso of the week" or whatever they call it and while I might not like Heat magazine, it has nothing to do with me being offended by topless men.
Original post by pane123
I specifically didn't ignore them. I deliberately the mentioned the fact that other posters have highlighted the flaws in your opinion, which is much the same as many posters before you.

If YOU can't go through each of my points, and there weren't many, detailing why they are in fact not true, and if you have read others replies then I'm sure you can do it, then I'd consider changing my opinion.
Nope.
Original post by pane123
I wouldn't care. I have no problem with magazines like Heat printing "celeb torso of the week" or whatever they call it and while I might not like Heat magazine, it has nothing to do with me being offended by topless men.

Offended isn't the right word, and it would have to be naked men, a topless man and a topless woman clearly isn't equal. And if it was as popular a tabloid as The Sun you may think differently, and this isn't just a topless man, it's a naked guy who's clearly WAY above average in every sense of the word.
Offended isn't the right word, and it would have to be naked men, a topless man and a topless woman clearly isn't equal. And if it was as popular a tabloid as The Sun you may think differently, and this isn't just a topless man, it's a naked guy who's clearly WAY above average in every sense of the word.

What is the right word, then?

This is where I have a problem with feminism, because I don't know your views on other issues. For example, many feminists do not think boobs should be seen as taboo, whereas you do, apparently.

Why do genders have to be displayed together to avoid being sexist? The Sun is quite obviously targeted towards men, while magazines like Heat are marketed to women. In general, readers of The Sun like women, while readers of Heat like men. What's the big deal?
I'm anti-feminist and think it should be stopped it's not appropriate for a tabloid to have those kinds of pictures.

What the ****, why not? neither are exposing their genitalia.
I'm not British and I don't read newspapers, but if they're in newspapers that a kid could stumble upon after one of their parents read it, yeah. Our generation is perverted enough, don't want the next one to be worse. As much as I love Rosie Jones and all those ladies, they should just stay in lad mags (or w/e they're called) where you have more control over who can get their hands on it
Original post by cole-slaw
What the ****, why not? neither are exposing their genitalia.

Because a woman's chest is (unfortunately) far more sexualised and taboo than a man's chest.
Original post by Green_Pink
Because a woman's chest is (unfortunately) far more sexualised and taboo than a man's chest.

It is only sexualised because we make it sexualised.

Social norms change all the time. 100 years ago women's legs were sexualised and showing your thighs was the equivalent of going topless today.

Nowadays women freely walk around in shorts or skirts with their thighs out and no-one bats an eyelid. In more advanced civilisations, women can walk around topless without anyone commenting or thinking it unusual or indecent.

Its time we progressed. Desexualise women's chests.

De-sexualise breasts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wH0AILH519E

Seriously though, why is a secondary sexual characteristic a sign of being less progressive? We're not sexless dolls, obviously different societies find different things attractive, as you say thighs were taboo, but aren't now. Where as in areas of Africa it's thighs which are taboo/sexualised, breasts are not. I wouldn't say a society which has no sexualised features is somehow more progressive? Having no physical aspects of one gender being sexually arousing to the other seems to border on unnatural.
(edited 9 years ago)

At work, thus it is highly unlikely that I will click that link.
At work, thus it is highly unlikely that I will click that link.

lmao it ain't breasts, it's Ian Paisley.
Original post by joey11223
lmao it ain't breasts, it's Ian Paisley.

desexualise breasts? OVAR MAY DEAD BORDY.
It is only sexualised because we make it sexualised.

Social norms change all the time. 100 years ago women's legs were sexualised and showing your thighs was the equivalent of going topless today.

Nowadays women freely walk around in shorts or skirts with their thighs out and no-one bats an eyelid. In more advanced civilisations, women can walk around topless without anyone commenting or thinking it unusual or indecent.

I agree. The way to do that isn't to have them in a national newspaper with the intention of men glaring at them, however.
Original post by Green_Pink
I agree. The way to do that isn't to have them in a national newspaper with the intention of men glaring at them, however.

Glaring sounds so negative, like you're sitting scowling at them, how about admiring? :tongue:

To make things equal though, just have a page 3 girl and page 3 dude.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending