The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE English Language Paper 2 (8700/2) - 9th November 2023 [Exam Chat]

AQA GCSE English Language
Paper 2 (8700/2) - 9th November 2023 [Exam Chat]

Welcome to the exam discussion thread for this exam. Introduce yourself! Let others know what you're aiming for in your exams, what you are struggling with in your revision or anything else.

Wishing you all the best of luck.

General Information
Date/Time: 9th Nov 2023/ AM
Length: 1h 45m

Good luck!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I am aiming for an 9 in this exam, last mocks I achieved (more like scraped) a grade 8, but I was only just on the grade boundary.

Q1: 4/4
Q2: 5/8
Q3: 12/12
Q4: 12/16
Q5: 27/40

I mainly don't understand question two and four. I've watched some videos from Mr Salles, and he says to use PEE sentences instead of PEEL paragraphs as it shortens down the length while still achieving the same marks. This would greatly help me, but I don't know how to do it in practice.
Reply 2
Original post by Dazza07h
I am aiming for an 9 in this exam, last mocks I achieved (more like scraped) a grade 8, but I was only just on the grade boundary.

Q1: 4/4
Q2: 5/8
Q3: 12/12
Q4: 12/16
Q5: 27/40

I mainly don't understand question two and four. I've watched some videos from Mr Salles, and he says to use PEE sentences instead of PEEL paragraphs as it shortens down the length while still achieving the same marks. This would greatly help me, but I don't know how to do it in practice.

can you tell me what was question Q5?
(edited 6 months ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Elleeeeee

'Cars are noisy, dirty, smelly and downright dangerous. They should be banned from all town and city centres, allowing people to walk and cycle in peace.' Write a letter to the Minister for Transport arguing your point of view on this statement.
(24 marks for content and organisation
16 marks for technical accuracy)
[40 marks]
You are advised to plan your answer to Question 5 before you start to write.
Reply 4
'Cars are noisy, dirty, smelly and downright dangerous. They should be banned from all town and city centres, allowing people to walk and cycle in peace.' Write a letter to the Minister for Transport arguing your point of view on this statement.
(24 marks for content and organisation
16 marks for technical accuracy)
[40 marks]
You are advised to plan your answer to Question 5 before you start to write.

do you have the two sources for the mock?
Reply 5
Original post by JianGuan
do you have the two sources for the mock?

Yep, source A will be a contemporary piece of writing, and Source B will most likely be Victorian, but always older.
Reply 6
Hey all, how was the exam?
Reply 7
Original post by DM1211

Really good. I smashed this one and question 5 I was able to do it and done 3 pages on it with all things required for it done.
Reply 8
Original post by Foundy
Really good. I smashed this one and question 5 I was able to do it and done 3 pages on it with all things required for it done.

Same, I wrote like 4 pages for Q5. Do you remember what were the 4 options you got for the first question?

I know it's only 4 marks but was just curious.
Reply 9
Original post by DM1211
Same, I wrote like 4 pages for Q5. Do you remember what were the 4 options you got for the first question?

I know it's only 4 marks but was just curious.

It was about nature and the writer. I circled the one with being exhausted. I don't think I remember the rest.
Reply 10
Original post by DM1211

I wanted to die in every second but i think it went alright.. it was a 2023 paper
Reply 11
I also wrote loads for Q5. Can anyone remember what Q2 was?
Reply 12
I wanted to die in every second but i think it went alright.. it was a 2023 paper

I also struggled with Q2 and Q4.

Q2 is AO1:

identify and interpret explicit and implicit information and ideas

select and synthesise evidence from different texts

Q4 is AO3:

Compare writers’ ideas and perspectives, as well as how these are conveyed, across two or more texts

So based off that Q2 and Q4 is less about identifying language devices and structure - I think?
For Q4 I don't think PEEL is an efficient method (or good use of time) to answer that 16 mark question. Open for discussion.
Reply 13
Original post by darudey
I also struggled with Q2 and Q4.

Q2 is AO1:

identify and interpret explicit and implicit information and ideas

select and synthesise evidence from different texts

Q4 is AO3:

Compare writers’ ideas and perspectives, as well as how these are conveyed, across two or more texts

So based off that Q2 and Q4 is less about identifying language devices and structure - I think?
For Q4 I don't think PEEL is an efficient method (or good use of time) to answer that 16 mark question. Open for discussion.

What was the source for question 3? Because I swear it was Source B
(edited 5 months ago)
Reply 14
what was the Q5 for english language paper 2 november 2023
Reply 15
Can anyone tell me the questions of paper 2 2023 November one , because I have my mock tomorrow
Original post by SEIF115789
Can anyone tell me the questions of paper 2 2023 November one , because I have my mock tomorrow

hey how did it go? i have mine friday morning
Original post by SEIF115789

pls can you send the questionns of resit nov
Reply 18
Original post by Elleeeeee
That’s what I’m looking for too
Reply 19
Hello, anyone knows what Question 5 was, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending