The Student Room Group

Anybody doing the new Core Maths 'a level'

Is anybody doing the new core maths a level. What do you think about it? Do you find it hard? I haven't really noticed anyone else on TSR even mention this new a level.
Reply 1
Original post by amiaht
Is anybody doing the new core maths a level. What do you think about it? Do you find it hard? I haven't really noticed anyone else on TSR even mention this new a level.

Which exam board and which units?
My school is doing it.
I thought "core maths" was not a specific a level but a range of level 3 qualifications from different examiners for 16-19 year olds. I understood it was supposed to be introduced for first teaching in September 2015.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by gdunne42
I thought "core maths" was not a specific a level but a range of level 3 qualifications from different examiners for 16-19 year olds. I understood it was supposed to be introduced for first teaching in September 2015.

Half right. It isn't an A Level but a Level 3 Certificate. Core Maths is the name of the Performance Measure not the qualifications. "Early adopters" started teaching in September 2014.
Original post by Mr M
Half right. It isn't an A Level but a Level 3 Certificate. Core Maths is the name of the Performance Measure not the qualifications. "Early adopters" started teaching in September 2014.

Do you know any early adopter schools and how it is going?
None of my local schools are doing any of these certificates yet.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
I believe my school will be starting it for the 2015/16 Year 12s, but I haven't heard of anyone doing it yet.
Is this the one where you do a Lvl 3 Algebra and a Lvl 3 Stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by gdunne42
Do you know any early adopter schools and how it is going?
None of my local schools are doing any of these certificates yet.

I know a few.

Here's the map.

Ofqual have been tardy about approving specifications so the whole thing has been a bit of a leap of faith.

Here are some resources.
Original post by Obiejess
Is this the one where you do a Lvl 3 Algebra and a Lvl 3 Stats?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Nope.

Quick Reply

Latest