The Student Room Group

2questions: Car reverse made a crunch noise + Wind cause the door slammed, worried of

1. I was at give way and my front was sticking out too much so when I selected reverse there was a crunch noise.

Will it damage the gearbox or transmission due to the crunch noise in reverse gear? The car is a Vauxhall Astra,5 speed, manual transmission.

2. It is windy here in Scotland and when I was grabbing bags from the trolley and suddenly the wind forced the passenger car door to be slammed hard closed which cause the whole car to shake? I'm worried if it can damage the car door electrics or mechanical parts or windows/speakers.
Reply 1
1. Have you used reverse gear since? Probably just didn't engage the clutch properly and so you meshed the gears a bit. Won't be a problem unless you do it regularly.

2. Car doors are designed to be opened and closed don't forget. Wouldn't worry about that in the slightest.
Reply 2
Select a forward gear (first or fifth, whichever is closest to reverse) before then engaging reverse - without lifting the clutch in between. Press clutch, select forward gear, select reverse gear, away you go. Cars have something called a synchromesh on all forward gears which is why they don't make the crunching sound - there's no synchro on reverse which is why it does.

The door will be fine. The wind catching it and slamming it the other was will cause damage, but not slamming it closed.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending