The Student Room Group

PLEASE HELP! - help me choose a name

Hi there
I'v got a really simply question and would really appreciate some feedback. I'm an 18 yr old guy.

I'll be having a paternity dna test soon to prove whether or not my 'dad' is my biological father.

I'm half german and half nigerian. all my life i'v used my mother's maiden name as my surname (my mum is german). However i'v recenetly been under a lot of pressure to change my surname to my dad's surname "for traditional reasons". I'v been under so much stress, i'v literally been having nose bleeds for the past week due to the stress. Grandparents are essentially threatening with disowning me since they dont think its right that i dont use their family name. I love my family but It's not easy for me to change my surname, i love my name and it's all i'v known. i know changing the name legally is very easy here in the UK but its the psychological and social stress that its causing. Plus i depend on my gradnparents for financial support.

Anyway, the deal is, if the dna test shows he's not my biological dad, then i'll keep my surname as it is and they'll continue supporting me.
but if it shows that he is then i'll have to change it to his surname.
He's got a double barelled name Aburime-Okoro.
If i do change it then i'm definitely not using a double-barelled name so my grandparents have said that I can use either Aburime or Okoro.

SO my question is, which of those two names should I pick?
I dont particulalr value one over the other so i want to hear other opinions. Despite anyone denying it, surnames are important and carry some social weight/impressions of a person.

Which of those sounds better?
I'm studying medicine and will become a doctor, so which sounds better
Dr Okoro
Dr Aburime

(Aburime is pronounced ah-boo-ree-mee)

Which would you prefer?

I know this may seem like a silly post, but i cant stress just how important this is to me and just how stressful the entire situation is.
I'v had my surname all my life and I have to make this rather big change, its a change to my entire identity and i'm very anxious.
I'm hoping the paternity test
Dr Okoro because it's easier to pronounce.
Reply 2
thanks for your feedback, i'v been thinking that also
i'm also considering changing it to okoro for the time being and then changing it back to my original name before i graduate in a couple of years, to appease my family. by that time i'll have a job and wont financially rely on them anymore.
I like Okoro. Easier to pronounce and I just like the sound of it more. Both are good though
Reply 4
Original post by beckaroo7
I like Okoro. Easier to pronounce and I just like the sound of it more. Both are good though

Aw, I hope it all works out for you dude. Okoro sounds good.
Okoro sounds swagalicious

Posted from TSR Mobile
Okoro sounds nice. I changed my last name too because I wanted to celebrate my Heritage and in honour of my Arabic Grandma
Reply 8
thanks guys :smile:
I'm nigerian myself and Dr Okoro does sound nice what is your current surname if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 10
Original post by Anonymous
thanks for your feedback, i'v been thinking that also
i'm also considering changing it to okoro for the time being and then changing it back to my original name before i graduate in a couple of years, to appease my family. by that time i'll have a job and wont financially rely on them anymore.

Okoro sounds easier to pronounce, that might be the better option.
Your idea of changing your name back to your original one sounds good honestly. Before you make any concrete plans, though, I suggest you try to get your grandparents to see reason- tell them why your original name means so much to you and just be honest. Don't stress too much, they're not worth it. I'm sure you'll do whatever is right. Good luck! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending