The Student Room Group

What can I do about mice in my home?

I began renting a University property for my final year of University
and we have discovered a mouse problem from the first week we moved in.

On the first week of moving in, my house mate discovered a mouse in her bed. :confused: And several holes around her room. Pest control visited over a week later, and blocked the hole and put down posion.
However over the next 2 weeks prior to this, the kitchen began to fill up with mouse dropping and urine. Several times we spotted mice darting across the surfaces we prepare our food on.
We asked for traps to be placed down, which were promised - but they were never placed. The problem then escalated.

The mice began chewing through carpets of other rooms and entering them, by 2 weeks ago, (this problem has gone on for 7 weeks now.) I spotted a mouse in my room. It had got into my medication and began chewing it. I have found over the course of 2 weeks 6 mouse holes appear. I have blocked them with filler, so our landlord is threatening to charge me for doing so. :eek:
I bought an ultrasound pest control plug, but this hasn't stopped the formation of mouse holes over the past fortnight.
We have reported it to the landlord, and Enviromental health several times. E Health said we could pay £50 for our own private pest control. but as we've spent £50 already on filler and ultrasounds, we can't really afford to fork out anymore cash on this issue.

I couldn't sleep in my house anymore, so i now stay at my boyfriends, whenever I come home my room smells like a hamsters cage. :mad:
My house mate has found another mouse in her bed and several droppings in her bed. and we literally have had enough.
I've witheld the rent and asked to be relocated to another one of landlords properties, but they have refused, saying I need to replace my room first. (Who would move into a mice infested house? :angry:)

I don't realy know what to do, I'm in my final year of Uni and the stress of this is starting to affect my work. My Uni have granted me extensions but, how can I get out of this mouse infested house?

Please someone help. :frown:
Reply 1
Meow
Original post by keromedic

As much as I love cats, i am a full blown cat lady at heart. :rolleyes:
I have considered this, and we are contracted not to have pets in the property.

(could argue we already have pets as we have a load of mice! :biggrin: )
Have you spoken to your student union/guild? This is exactly the sort of situation they're there for.

It isn't clear in your OP who your landlord is - your first paragraph states you're in a UNIVERSITY house - usually that would mean your university is your landlord.

Edit: also speaking from experience - humane traps and ultrasound do not work. Something like http://www.diy.com/departments/rentokil-mouse-control/189547_BQ.prd plus some peanut butter will help. As will keeping all food in plastic sealed containers.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
Watch that old show called Tom and Jerry, it should tell you what to do.
Original post by Gax
Watch that old show called Tom and Jerry, it should tell you what to do.

The OP would die in the end though

OP
Call the exterminating team :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by mcgreevy1993
I began renting a University property for my final year of University
and we have discovered a mouse problem from the first week we moved in.

On the first week of moving in, my house mate discovered a mouse in her bed. :confused: And several holes around her room. Pest control visited over a week later, and blocked the hole and put down posion.
However over the next 2 weeks prior to this, the kitchen began to fill up with mouse dropping and urine. Several times we spotted mice darting across the surfaces we prepare our food on.
We asked for traps to be placed down, which were promised - but they were never placed. The problem then escalated.

The mice began chewing through carpets of other rooms and entering them, by 2 weeks ago, (this problem has gone on for 7 weeks now.) I spotted a mouse in my room. It had got into my medication and began chewing it. I have found over the course of 2 weeks 6 mouse holes appear. I have blocked them with filler, so our landlord is threatening to charge me for doing so. :eek:
I bought an ultrasound pest control plug, but this hasn't stopped the formation of mouse holes over the past fortnight.
We have reported it to the landlord, and Enviromental health several times. E Health said we could pay £50 for our own private pest control. but as we've spent £50 already on filler and ultrasounds, we can't really afford to fork out anymore cash on this issue.

I couldn't sleep in my house anymore, so i now stay at my boyfriends, whenever I come home my room smells like a hamsters cage. :mad:
My house mate has found another mouse in her bed and several droppings in her bed. and we literally have had enough.
I've witheld the rent and asked to be relocated to another one of landlords properties, but they have refused, saying I need to replace my room first. (Who would move into a mice infested house? :angry:)

I don't realy know what to do, I'm in my final year of Uni and the stress of this is starting to affect my work. My Uni have granted me extensions but, how can I get out of this mouse infested house?

Keep trying to get the landlord to sort it, but in the meantime try and deal with it yourself.

Mice come into houses in the Autumn when it gets colder outside. A mouse can get through a hole the diameter of a pencil so it is almost impossible to stop them getting in. The trick is to kill off the first mouse or 2 before the population explodes.

Ultrasound doesn't work at all. I have tried various humane ways of getting rid of mice but (if you can't get a cat) the old spring loaded traps seem most effective.

You can buy traps for 99p. Put them at the edge of rooms and bait them with chocolate. (They often like to live behind fridges where it is warm so put a trap near there if you can).

Try and keep any potential food (that includes bar soap) in sealed containers so your house is less attractive.
(edited 9 years ago)
First there must be no source of food anywhere. Pasta, rice, flour etc in sealed containers, bread in a steel bin.
Secondly, clean up food spillages and wash up after every prepared meal.
Third All waste immediately outside, that is peelings breadcrumbs, leftovers.
Fourth Wash all food packages that are being placed in internal bin. Better still, do not use internal bin for any food packaging or leftovers.

CLEANLINESS, CLEANLINESS, CLEANLINESS. Even soap is a food source.

Can you borrow a cat? If not, ask a cat owner to supply you with used cat litter and place around the house. The smell of urine and faeces is a deterrent.

The ultrasound must be place carefully as it will be stopped dead by anything in its path, creating sheltered areas. It does not bend around furniture due to the high frequency.

Mouse traps are £1. Place next to skirting boards and use a sweet bait, peanut butter, chocolate, not cheese.
Original post by PQ
Have you spoken to your student union/guild? This is exactly the sort of situation they're there for.

It isn't clear in your OP who your landlord is - your first paragraph states you're in a UNIVERSITY house - usually that would mean your university is your landlord.

Edit: also speaking from experience - humane traps and ultrasound do not work. Something like http://www.diy.com/departments/rentokil-mouse-control/189547_BQ.prd plus some peanut butter will help. As will keeping all food in plastic sealed containers.

Its Cleverstudentlets Plymouth, I've only asked for advice by the University but they have said theres nothing they can do except push it and report to council.

See, if cleverstudents had bothered 7 weeks ago to actualy deal with the problem than brush us of, I probably wouldn't be living with several mice chewing away at my house now.

For anyone looking to go for a house in Plymouth please stay away from this estate agent they're the worst
Its Cleverstudentlets Plymouth, I've only asked for advice by the University but they have said theres nothing they can do except push it and report to council.

See, if cleverstudents had bothered 7 weeks ago to actualy deal with the problem than brush us of, I probably wouldn't be living with several mice chewing away at my house now.

For anyone looking to go for a house in Plymouth please stay away from this estate agent they're the worst

Not the university - talk to your student union (eg http://www.upsu.com/advice/legal/ )....especially if your landlord is listed by http://www.psuaccommodation.com/accommodation - the student union will be able to threaten to stop advertising their vacancies to students if the landlord does not behave well.

(could argue we already have pets as we have a load of mice! :biggrin: )

Your landlord is supposed to deal with things like this within the terms of the contract. Its already been broken on his side. I would suggest perhaps borrow a cat from a friend or something for a couple of weeks if you can.

How have you contacted the landlord? If it has been in writing, good, if not, make sure all further communication is in writing. I would sugges you go and speak to the students union or the CAB and see if they can contact your landlord on your behalf... it might give the landlord the kick up the backside he needs to sort the problem out.
Original post by Kabloomybuzz
Your landlord is supposed to deal with things like this within the terms of the contract. Its already been broken on his side. I would suggest perhaps borrow a cat from a friend or something for a couple of weeks if you can.

How have you contacted the landlord? If it has been in writing, good, if not, make sure all further communication is in writing. I would sugges you go and speak to the students union or the CAB and see if they can contact your landlord on your behalf... it might give the landlord the kick up the backside he needs to sort the problem out.

My University was little help. :L I went to citizens advice who were very helpful! And said it is a breach of contract and what responsility the landlord actually has.

My parents are down tomorrow to discuss the situation with my letting agent, (which is lame but I'm out of options) as they have been promising to return phone calls and haven't and promised to meet the landlord to speak with them.

I'm hoping this will either get me out this horrible house or atleast get the problem resolved quickly!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending