The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Accommodation to avoid in Manchester

Hi I’m currently deciding on which accom to pick and I keep seeing strikes on the poor living conditions at uom. Please give advice on which halls to avoid because wasps, silverfish, rats, mould etc in my room horrifies me. Should I look at private accom? Or will this restrict me from making friends?
Any advice will be helpful (writing this at 2am so sorry about any errors).
Reply 1
I'm also looking to join this year. So far I've learned that Oak house and Whitworth is to be avoided.
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
I would disagree with that to be honest. I’ve just finished my first year living in Oak and i genuinely can’t recommend it enough. I was nervous moving in due to its reputation as a ‘party halls’ but noise never really kept me up and I met all my close friends through living in Oak house. Especially since my degree has a lot of people on it I found it really hard to make friends on my course sitting in a lecture hall with hundreds of other students so I am beyond happy I lived in Oak. I would definitely say to live in a Fallowfield accommodation as in general they are more social and it is a really lovely area to be in. My hall was surrounded by grassy space so after exams we spent so much time just sitting outside in the sun listening to music and it was brilliant. Plus I really liked the separation of uni and living so I could come home from uni and feel like I was in a separate space.
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I would disagree with that to be honest. I’ve just finished my first year living in Oak and i genuinely can’t recommend it enough. I was nervous moving in due to its reputation as a ‘party halls’ but noise never really kept me up and I met all my close friends through living in Oak house. Especially since my degree has a lot of people on it I found it really hard to make friends on my course sitting in a lecture hall with hundreds of other students so I am beyond happy I lived in Oak. I would definitely say to live in a Fallowfield accommodation as in general they are more social and it is a really lovely area to be in. My hall was surrounded by grassy space so after exams we spent so much time just sitting outside in the sun listening to music and it was brilliant. Plus I really liked the separation of uni and living so I could come home from uni and feel like I was in a separate space.

To add - we did have an issue with mice in the kitchen but basically so did every accommodation so I wouldn’t avoid Oak for that. We got mice because we let it get too messy and Ute as our own fault. There’s also a cleaner twice a week that cleans communal areas (kitchen and bathrooms) and if you report pests to maintenance they will put traps out etc.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous

Thank you for the information mate. That is really helpful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending