The Student Room Group

Do you like your motherland ?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Foo.mp3
Kinda, although it's kinda sinking into a quagmire, and has been for a generation now.. :rolleyes:

Which country?
And why?
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Russia seems like a cool country. Thoughts on the whole Ukraine conflict? :smile:

Russia's beautiful, come visit! :smile:

Omg I think it's terrific. I really want it to end as quickly as possible, because I always perceived Ukranians as our brotherly nation. My mom was brought up in Ukraine, I have friends there. Rulers of the big countries may benefit from the whole situation, but the majority of common people in Russia and Ukraine just can't put up with the fact that innocent people's lives is the price.
Russia seems like a cool country. Thoughts on the whole Ukraine conflict? :smile:

Is Lebanon quite western in comparison to the rest of the Middle East?

Hmm more liberal yes
Motherland? Well I now live in Norway. I came here by choice and choose to remain here by choice. Born in Singapore.

Heritage? On my father's side there is an English grandfather who originated from Winchester and a grandmother who was born in India but isn't Indian, she is off Jewish origin, presumably from Baghdad area. Father was born and raised in Singapore.

On my mother's side there is a Chinese man who originated from Shanghai. Not much is known about the woman that is my grandmother, it is believed she is not 100% Han Chinese as she is originally from Harbin in Northern China and she did look Russian or European mixed but it wasn't something we were allowed to ask for some reason, presumably there was something in her background she wanted to hide.

Singapore is a nice place but I don't really enjoy it that much due to the climate.
England? I don't care for the politics there these days and I somehow feel life there is too easy for me that it lacks a challenge. In addition too many people know who I am there and immediately people tend to write me off that everything I achieve comes due to a privileged background.
China? It is essentially has about as much culture as a desert has life. Also can't stand the people there though I'd be in good company since like many of them money = power is something I very much believe in.
India? No connection, have more connection to Israel than to India. I quite like it in Israel as there is a certain similarity in outlook I tend to share with them and I do find that I like the people there but not the politics.
I love my motherland of the United States of america, however I am not proud to be American as I have not achieved anything to become it

Posted from TSR Mobile
I was wondering,how many people actually like their motherland(the place they were born/where they can trace their ancestry to)

I'm Nigerian,despite the numerous problems in the country, I still love it. Heartbreaking to see what's becoming of the country with Boko haram and all.

I'm 100% somali and LOVE my culture, the beautiful people and food etc but im not too sure about the country. Its not safe (well the parts my fam live) and I can't wait until the day there's finally peace :smile:
Original post by Alfissti
Motherland? Well I now live in Norway. I came here by choice and choose to remain here by choice. Born in Singapore.

Heritage? On my father's side there is an English grandfather who originated from Winchester and a grandmother who was born in India but isn't Indian, she is off Jewish origin, presumably from Baghdad area. Father was born and raised in Singapore.

On my mother's side there is a Chinese man who originated from Shanghai. Not much is known about the woman that is my grandmother, it is believed she is not 100% Han Chinese as she is originally from Harbin in Northern China and she did look Russian or European mixed but it wasn't something we were allowed to ask for some reason, presumably there was something in her background she wanted to hide.

Singapore is a nice place but I don't really enjoy it that much due to the climate.
England? I don't care for the politics there these days and I somehow feel life there is too easy for me that it lacks a challenge. In addition too many people know who I am there and immediately people tend to write me off that everything I achieve comes due to a privileged background.
China? It is essentially has about as much culture as a desert has life. Also can't stand the people there though I'd be in good company since like many of them money = power is something I very much believe in.
India? No connection, have more connection to Israel than to India. I quite like it in Israel as there is a certain similarity in outlook I tend to share with them and I do find that I like the people there but not the politics.

Very detailed lol :biggrin:

Opinion on Zionism?
Original post by Secretnerd123
I'm 100% somali and LOVE my culture, the beautiful people and food etc but im not too sure about the country. Its not safe (well the parts my fam live) and I can't wait until the day there's finally peace :smile:

I know so many Somali people aha. They're the best

Hopefully Somalia will know peace soon!
I know so many Somali people aha. They're the best

Hopefully Somalia will know peace soon!

Aha really? We're everywhere :biggrin:

I love nigerian people alot! They're the best (from the west african region). I actually am a big fan of nollywood movies. I have an aunt who loves them and when shes around we can watch up to 5 in an evening :tongue:

Yeah hopefully!!! (InshaAllah - God willing)
Do I love Iran? How could I love a country which would execute me if they knew who I was?
Ahh,have you visited those other countries much?
What's your favourite thing about Wales?

I've visited Trinidad and Turkey a few times. They're fine holiday destinations, but I don't really see them as much else.

I love the language and the effort made to prevent it dying out. The landscapes are so beautiful and I spent most of my childhood there. The accent is pretty cool too! :biggrin:
Very detailed lol :biggrin:

Opinion on Zionism?

Which type of Zionism? They exist in many forms these days.
Aha really? We're everywhere :biggrin:

I love nigerian people alot! They're the best (from the west african region). I actually am a big fan of nollywood movies. I have an aunt who loves them and when shes around we can watch up to 5 in an evening :tongue:

Yeah hopefully!!! (InshaAllah - God willing)

Yh! My school is probably 50% Somali or something :tongue:

Haha really? I used to watch them all the time with my mum
Absolutely, I'm a British Pakistani and despite everything that's been going on in that country, i feel a real sense of belonging to it

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by SarahLund
I've visited Trinidad and Turkey a few times. They're fine holiday destinations, but I don't really see them as much else.

I love the language and the effort made to prevent it dying out. The landscapes are so beautiful and I spent most of my childhood there. The accent is pretty cool too! :biggrin:

Visited Wales once on a week long trip to Dolymoch. Was really nice. Didn't get to explore around much though
Not really
Yh! My school is probably 50% Somali or something :tongue:

Haha really? I used to watch them all the time with my mum

Yupssa they're amazing. I used to be IN LOVE with van vicker :colondollar: :colondollar:

Nollywood movies are either really good or really bad tho. No in between :tongue:
Original post by SarahLund

Welsh accent is ah-mazing *_*
Btw why are u not proud of your trini and turkish roots. I'd be proud (esp the trini side) lol :biggrin:
Reply 38

And somali Hair :love:
I love Turkey and Cyprus!

But I love England too- the people, weather, food :smile: living here is great

Quick Reply

Latest