The Student Room Group

Suggestions for improving my grade.

Hello, I have not taken any exams yet, but I think I can get 5 and 6 grades in the courses I have chosen. What are your recommendations to get these grades to 7 and 8 before the exam and how many hours a day should I study to get these grades? Thanks for all your answers.
Reply 1
Hi what courses are these ? That’s important to know because it varies subject to subject. Obviously doing past papers/ppqs is very important but it’s also important to make sure you have a solid foundation of the content beforehand. I would say save my exams and physics and math tutor are your best friends (save my exams you do have to pay for but its so worth it - the questions are arranged by topic and difficulty and has such good notes on so many subjects - especially the sciences though). What exam board is your English? I think how many hours you should study is very personal - think about how many you currently do and increase that by maybe 25%? You definitely dont want to burn yourself out as most of your revision will be in/after easter holidays. You also shouldn’t make the mistake of spending the same amount of time on each subject ie i knew i was better at maths than my other subjects so didnt have to practice as much for it BUT i also knew it was very important to me to get a good grade in maths and doing practice questions can be more time consuming than revising for RS - which i felt i could cram for and get good results - even though, im naturally better at maths.

Watch videos on things you struggle at and, as your watching, write down important notes and turn the information into questions for you to answer later, make at as simple as possible, yet specific.

Study approximately 4 hours a week for each subject, making sure they are spent well. Quality > Quantity

Create electronic flashcards. You can use Remnote, Ankiapp, or Quizlet, anything that works well for you. Make sure the flashcards are simple and not so complex, the more complex, the less likely you are to remember the information. You can use physical flashcards if you like but I think they are harder to manage, harder to make, and more expensive as you have to waste paper making them.

Do lots of past paper questions, especially complex questions like 5, 8, or 10 markers, depending on what subject your doing, and record the results you got, so you can see if your improving, or getting worst, and for you to challenge yourself a bit. You will reattempt these questions until you absolutely destroy them, if your result is not near 100%. Record these results electronically for better management.

In class, when your learning a new topic, take notes using tip #1 at the top, its very useful even in class. Make sure your super focused, don't chat to your mates too much, but also don't destroy yourself, just try your best, always.

If your really motivated to reach your fullest potential, don't rest too much, especially during the holidays. Obviously do take a break from time to time, depending on how your doing mentally, but even when you finish that one test, don't take a long break, maybe take 2-3 days break or something like that until your happy to get studying again, even if it takes a week. But don't waste time, you will regret it. The best rest smartly.

Don't study for hours in a row, study for 20, then 30, then 40, to try to find the longest time you can study for without getting tired and bored. For the breaks in between the study sessions, make sure they are 5-15 minutes depending on how long you studied for. Doing something fun during this time.

Be patient, even if your doing really badly, getting poor grades, even though your putting so much effort, don't give up, its only a matter of time before your grades really start to shine, that time might be 2 - 10 weeks, so don't expect fast results.

Complete everything your teacher sets you to do. Sounds simple and obvious, but you might decide not to do that one homework because its hard or you don't feel like it, but like that your only hindering the chances of you getting that top grade. Trust me, you will regret it later.

Aim for 100%. Sounds like way above your target, but the higher you aim, the harder you will find yourself studying. Even if your predicted an F, always aim high.

Don't overuse your devices, even if your gaming, watching videos, or studying. Give yourself time away from these electronics. You will hurt your eyes and regret doing whatever you were doing, and your mood will feel worst.

Be physically active, even if you can just walk for like 30 minutes a day, that is fine. Healthy body = healthy brain. Simple.

I know its a lot, but, almost, all of them are the essentials to being a top tier student. If you do all of these tips, you might find yourself loving the hours of studying and improving your grades. There are a lot more tips that could further help you. Just ask for them if you want them. Also keep in mind that you have to have the motivation to actually study & excel to be successful. Take care.
Reply 3
Maths, English Lit, English Language, Bio, Physics, Chemistry, Computer Science, Business (maybe I can drop). AQA conducts the English exam. Normally, I did a maximum of 2 hours because I got bored during the lesson or sometimes I didn't even want to do it at all. I found a solution to this problem as follows. Normally, I did 1 hour for each lesson, but since I was bored, I decided to make this hour 45 minutes and in this way, I would study 1 lesson more. I'm thinking of doing it for 2.5 or 3 hours every day next week. I will do it for a maximum of 4 or 5 hours on the weekend. Thank you very much indeed for your answer.
Oh, I didn't realise you were doing so many subjects, in this case try 1.5 hours, if you can. If you can't, it is not a big issue, as long as your studying effectively.
Reply 5
Original post by Mr.SmartGalal

Watch videos on things you struggle at and, as your watching, write down important notes and turn the information into questions for you to answer later, make at as simple as possible, yet specific.

Study approximately 4 hours a week for each subject, making sure they are spent well. Quality > Quantity

Create electronic flashcards. You can use Remnote, Ankiapp, or Quizlet, anything that works well for you. Make sure the flashcards are simple and not so complex, the more complex, the less likely you are to remember the information. You can use physical flashcards if you like but I think they are harder to manage, harder to make, and more expensive as you have to waste paper making them.

Do lots of past paper questions, especially complex questions like 5, 8, or 10 markers, depending on what subject your doing, and record the results you got, so you can see if your improving, or getting worst, and for you to challenge yourself a bit. You will reattempt these questions until you absolutely destroy them, if your result is not near 100%. Record these results electronically for better management.

In class, when your learning a new topic, take notes using tip #1 at the top, its very useful even in class. Make sure your super focused, don't chat to your mates too much, but also don't destroy yourself, just try your best, always.

If your really motivated to reach your fullest potential, don't rest too much, especially during the holidays. Obviously do take a break from time to time, depending on how your doing mentally, but even when you finish that one test, don't take a long break, maybe take 2-3 days break or something like that until your happy to get studying again, even if it takes a week. But don't waste time, you will regret it. The best rest smartly.

Don't study for hours in a row, study for 20, then 30, then 40, to try to find the longest time you can study for without getting tired and bored. For the breaks in between the study sessions, make sure they are 5-15 minutes depending on how long you studied for. Doing something fun during this time.

Be patient, even if your doing really badly, getting poor grades, even though your putting so much effort, don't give up, its only a matter of time before your grades really start to shine, that time might be 2 - 10 weeks, so don't expect fast results.

Complete everything your teacher sets you to do. Sounds simple and obvious, but you might decide not to do that one homework because its hard or you don't feel like it, but like that your only hindering the chances of you getting that top grade. Trust me, you will regret it later.

Aim for 100%. Sounds like way above your target, but the higher you aim, the harder you will find yourself studying. Even if your predicted an F, always aim high.

Don't overuse your devices, even if your gaming, watching videos, or studying. Give yourself time away from these electronics. You will hurt your eyes and regret doing whatever you were doing, and your mood will feel worst.

Be physically active, even if you can just walk for like 30 minutes a day, that is fine. Healthy body = healthy brain. Simple.

I know its a lot, but, almost, all of them are the essentials to being a top tier student. If you do all of these tips, you might find yourself loving the hours of studying and improving your grades. There are a lot more tips that could further help you. Just ask for them if you want them. Also keep in mind that you have to have the motivation to actually study & excel to be successful. Take care.

Dude, thank you very much, you really worked hard to write this. I get emotional when I see people trying hard for me 😪
Reply 6
Original post by Mr.SmartGalal
Oh, I didn't realise you were doing so many subjects, in this case try 1.5 hours, if you can. If you can't, it is not a big issue, as long as your studying effectively.

I leave school at 3 o'clock. If I catch the bus, I can start class at 4:30 or 5 o'clock. If I can't make it, I can start class around 5:30 or 6. So, I have time to study 3 hours per hour, but I don't know if I have the desire to study that much. I start to get bored after studying for 2 hours.
Original post by şirin
Dude, thank you very much, you really worked hard to write this. I get emotional when I see people trying hard for me 😪

Haha, no problem! 😇
Original post by şirin
I leave school at 3 o'clock. If I catch the bus, I can start class at 4:30 or 5 o'clock. If I can't make it, I can start class around 5:30 or 6. So, I have time to study 3 hours per hour, but I don't know if I have the desire to study that much. I start to get bored after studying for 2 hours.

Hmm. Watching videos might be good for you, so try doing that for a couple of study sessions, then see if your answering the questions on it really good. If it works then great! If not then try starting small, study like 20-30 mins a day, then every day, try increasing that by 1 minute or something like that, or every week, increase the time by 10 mins or something like that. Start small, then build up. You can't start studying 3 hours every day straight away.

Quick Reply

Latest