The Student Room Group

Work Experience

I want to go into the animation industry when I am older and my school has given me an oppertunity to do work experience. I'm not sure where to go for work experience, the few animation studios that are near me mostly don't so work experience and I'm not sure what other things would be beneficial for me.
So if anyone knows what I should do it would be helpful :smile:
Try a studio
i'm quite similar to you, i wanted to do either medical, design or criminal justice but there's nothing by me. so i just found an opticians and i'm gonna do it there. the reason why i didn't do more of something that i love (like design or baking) is that the place you do your work experience goes on your CV. so if the employer sees that person A did their work experience in a doctor's suite, optician or any job like that and person B did their work experience in a bakery or something then they're most likely to choose person A (if that makes sense)

however i suggest doing work experience that you like (in the sense that you could choose your hobby - so say if you like riding horses you can work in a horse stable or a riding school) but only do something like that if you're in year 10 or younger because year 11 and above is where you want to work for proper jobs (like what you want to be in the future). so basically if you're young then choose something fun first and then knuckle down afterwards if that makes sense
Original post by Animee2109
I want to go into the animation industry when I am older and my school has given me an oppertunity to do work experience. I'm not sure where to go for work experience, the few animation studios that are near me mostly don't so work experience and I'm not sure what other things would be beneficial for me.

Here are some things to think about:

- Create your own project
- Start on a portfolio
- Try virtual work experience (working remotely with a different studio)
- Try check out gaming companies also (animations for games)
- Experiment with different animation software (Blender, Pivot - these are both free btw :smile: )
- 'Prospects UK' is good for careers advice and they do have a job profile for animation and lots of info on it so definitely check that
- try doing something art related like maybe working/volunteering in an art gallery or even submitting art for a public gallery
- Art Competitions? Freelance work?
- Studying a short course would also be useful

These are some random ideas, but I hope you find them useful :smile: Good Luck!!
Hi,

I would definitely go for some work experience if you can so that you could possibly gain some insight and knowledge of the industry before putting all your eggs in one basket.

This could then allow you to build a portfolio towards a creative degree/job in the future if that’s what you decide to do.

Best of luck!
Ellie
Original post by Animee2109

Hello! I currently have the same issue - may I ask as to where you ended up going? Thank you
Original post by student9099
Hello! I currently have the same issue - may I ask as to where you ended up going? Thank you

Hi @student9099,

I hope you're doing well!

I think it is great that you are thinking about participating in work experience.

First off, work experience is like taking what you learn in class and using it in the real world. It's about practising things like talking with people, solving problems, and working with a team. It can allow you to meet professionals in your field. They can be like your guides, helping you out and maybe even opening doors for future jobs or inspiring you to take a specific route, you never know!

Work experience also gives you a sneak peek into what your dream job is really like. It helps you figure out if it's the right fit for you. Plus, having work experience on your CV tells future employers that you've been proactive and have a real passion.

I think it would be great to do if you have the opportunity!

I can see that you have mentioned that you are struggling to find somewhere, I would suggest that you ask your teachers or friends/family members if they have any suggestions. Also, remember it might not have to link directly to the area you are interested in especially if you are struggling to find somewhere. I think as long as it has some relevance it will help you gain the skills! But, make sure to verify this with your teachers.

Best wishes,
Paige- UoC Digital Marketing MSc student
Reply 7
Original post by student9099

I ended up going to the marketing department of a company that my friend’s dad worked at. They had one guy there who made small animations for their adverts. It wasn’t really that much but I couldn’t find anywhere else to go🥲

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending