The Student Room Group

Can you only have 1 PS for all 5 UCAS choices?

So is this true you can only do 1 personal statement max 4000 characters to 5 of your uni choices so it has to be related like I was interested in several career paths that some are like and some that are completely different what does this mean like I was interested in pharmacy optometry cyber security and finance and want degree that will make me have the most money and great work life balance and flexibility and learning new things and actually can move careers instead of staying in one job whole life like think science careers are which having a think like I which job is better out of optometry and pharmacy and why then compare it to cyber security and finance and can I apply for these degrees or does it have to be super related because want both opportunities like what degrees would work lmk?
i also had the same question
Yes, you can only write one personal statement when applying to your five under UCAS choices.

Those are wildly different subjects and you wouldn’t be able to cover them all in one statement. You be better taking a year out to work out what your priorities are. For example high salary and good work/life balance are usually in opposition to each other.
Reply 3
Original post by unknown20001
i also had the same question

Btw what degree you gonna do?
Reply 4
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, you can only write one personal statement when applying to your five under UCAS choices.

Those are wildly different subjects and you wouldn’t be able to cover them all in one statement. You be better taking a year out to work out what your priorities are. For example high salary and good work/life balance are usually in opposition to each other.

So does this mean like I can’t like do healthcare and finance and btw can I apply for cyber security and finance degrees???
Original post by aryc_30
So does this mean like I can’t like do healthcare and finance and btw can I apply for cyber security and finance degrees???

You can apply to any courses that you like, but if any of them use the personal statement at all in their selection process then there’s no chance that you can cover them all.

You need to think about what to apply for beforehand. Let’s say you got offers for all those subjects, which would you accept?
Original post by aryc_30
Btw what degree you gonna do?

not sure but i wanted to do pharmacy or optometry or possible dentistry lol
Reply 7

If I did anything healthcare the only job would do is optometry because of the job itself and what you do day tod at and get paid but think tech is better but I think optometry is better imo then pharmacy which is boring and stressful you got know your stuff and dentistry is hard like medicine and you gonna have to clean peoples teeth is that something you would like because I personally wouldn’t but pharmacy is quite boring so if I were you go for optometry but end of day research and do what you have passion for really
Reply 8
You can apply to any courses that you like, but if any of them use the personal statement at all in their selection process then there’s no chance that you can cover them all.

You need to think about what to apply for beforehand. Let’s say you got offers for all those subjects, which would you accept?

Idk between finance and optometry forget the rest except cyber security which going to try go into after some years in either of these 2 fields then move because cyber security you don’t really need a degree just need some experience and certifications and should be good?
Original post by aryc_30
Idk between finance and optometry forget the rest except cyber security which going to try go into after some years in either of these 2 fields then move because cyber security you don’t really need a degree just need some experience and certifications and should be good?

Finance is a broad sector with hundreds of different roles within it. The majority will be markedly different from optometry.

Why not spend some time trying to arrange work experience and find out what aspects you enjoy or dislike.
Reply 10

do work experience in these roles before you apply to uni. I wanted to do dentistry until i did work experience and realised that it's personally not for me. work experience exploring different fields pre application is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself. not only does it, more or less, help you come to a decision about what you want to study but it also gives you specific insight which will help if you decide to apply for a course where offers are dependant on interviews
Original post by reima.04
do work experience in these roles before you apply to uni. I wanted to do dentistry until i did work experience and realised that it's personally not for me. work experience exploring different fields pre application is probably one of the best things you can do for yourself. not only does it, more or less, help you come to a decision about what you want to study but it also gives you specific insight which will help if you decide to apply for a course where offers are dependant on interviews

Yess i was planning on doing work experience in year 12- i’m in year 11 btw
Thread title changed for clarity and moved to personal statement advice.

Since you are in year 11 I really wouldn't worry about this for another 12 months.
Reply 13
Original post by reima.04

What are you interested in now
Reply 14

Yeah.

However, you can do another personal statement but you must check in with the uni and see if they are willing to consider your second personal statement. Some unis do accept a second personal statement.
(edited 3 months ago)
Reply 15

If your planning to do dentistry you would have to apply much earlier, somewhen around October I think. This means your going to have to get both personal statements done by then, but you need to make sure whether the other uni's are willing to consider your other personal statement.

You've got time to figure out which career path is for you. I would recommend doing more research into the different courses.
Original post by M8-Idek
Yeah.

However, you can do another personal statement but you must check in with the uni and see if they are willing to consider your second personal statement. Some unis do accept a second personal statement.

True, but entirely at the unis discretion. So a bit of a risk unless you approach them beforehand.
Original post by M8-Idek
If your planning to do dentistry you would have to apply much earlier, somewhen around October I think. This means your going to have to get both personal statements done by then, but you need to make sure whether the other uni's are willing to consider your other personal statement.

You've got time to figure out which career path is for you. I would recommend doing more research into the different courses.

hi! im actually in year 11 so im not applying yet :wink: , just thinking about courses that i want to do

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending