The Student Room Group

Do you like your motherland ?

Scroll to see replies

I like the land where I was born but the government is destroying everything that once was beautiful and sooner or later it will become a wilderness where no one will ever want to make their future. In addition to, due to the nature of many people, I can't imagine myself establishing my future there, it would be just another hell that I've already escaped from.

At least, I could be happy where I am now without a fear that stones could be thrown at me :h:
(edited 9 years ago)
No not really. Im not the patriotic type tbh
Original post by arinagrantaire
I do love the fascinating culture, the strong spirit of our nation, but our government - meh. They just don't do enough for the common people.. And other countries don't seem to like my motherland at the moment :biggrin:

I love Putin !!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by inachigeek21
The Japanese and Korean culture is my greatest interest, well after physics and chemistry.
Their culture is utterly fascinating and mesmerizing!
The Korean culture consists of beautiful traditional values, their art is incredible, and their history is captivating. The Korean war and KPop :rolleyes:
The Japanese culture.. May I have to talk about it?
Their culture is a growing fascination for me..
Their history, developments in the Japanese modern world society, art and ANIME & MANGA!!
I cannot even express my approval, it's far too great!
There's more I love about the Korean and Japanese culture.
I hope I clarified this a bit OP.

amazed by how many people say they love japang/korea because they only see what these two countries are trying to sell and not what they hide.
Original post by arinagrantaire
Russia's beautiful, come visit! :smile:

Omg I think it's terrific. I really want it to end as quickly as possible, because I always perceived Ukranians as our brotherly nation. My mom was brought up in Ukraine, I have friends there. Rulers of the big countries may benefit from the whole situation, but the majority of common people in Russia and Ukraine just can't put up with the fact that innocent people's lives is the price.

this is a set up by america. stupid americans trying to provoke war all over the world.
I have always disliked living in Scotland. I have never lived anywhere else. I really, really want to move away but I see no way out and wouldn't even know where to go.

The drinking, the football, the "weeey, ya fanny" types that are practically everywhere. I have always received abuse from my fellow Scots, both children and adults alike, it just seems to be how they communicate with each other and I hate it. It's a very closed culture. If you can't be like them they don't accept you. Even those that aren't thuggish, you know, ordinary ladies and gentlemen, seem very culturally influenced and treat you unfairly if you're not in tune with that or have different interests from what they perceive as normal. There is a massive rich and poor divide and a lot of snobbery going back and forth between the two sides of that divide. It's cold, it's dark, it's cloudy most of the year. The weather makes me sick all year round and I know it's the weather doing it because it gets a lot worse in winter. I hate how everything looks so grey and stony here, kind of just blends in with the sky and it's so depressing. I also find it depressing how all our wildlife has been nerfed. I always wanted to go somewhere to explore wilderness but apart from in the highlands wilderness does not exist in Scotland.

I should be grateful but I guess living here for 25 years takes it's toll after a while. I just have no idea how I'm going to afford to get out of here. I feel trapped.
Original post by Powpowpowpowpow
I have always disliked living in Scotland. I have never lived anywhere else. I really, really want to move away but I see no way out and wouldn't even know where to go.

The drinking, the football, the "weeey, ya fanny" types that are practically everywhere. I have always received abuse from my fellow Scots, both children and adults alike, it just seems to be how they communicate with each other and I hate it. It's a very closed culture. If you can't be like them they don't accept you. Even those that aren't thuggish, you know, ordinary ladies and gentlemen, seem very culturally influenced and treat you unfairly if you're not in tune with that or have different interests from what they perceive as normal. There is a massive rich and poor divide and a lot of snobbery going back and forth between the two sides of that divide. It's cold, it's dark, it's cloudy most of the year. The weather makes me sick all year round and I know it's the weather doing it because it gets a lot worse in winter. I hate how everything looks so grey and stony here, kind of just blends in with the sky and it's so depressing. I also find it depressing how all our wildlife has been nerfed. I always wanted to go somewhere to explore wilderness but apart from in the highlands wilderness does not exist in Scotland.

I should be grateful but I guess living here for 25 years takes it's toll after a while. I just have no idea how I'm going to afford to get out of here. I feel trapped.

me, as well, feel trapped here.
but i live in a sunny place, there's so many beach here, some people say it's beautiful to live here. i just don't get it. it's just really hot here. you can throw all of you jumper, once you arrived here, you don't it anymore.
and you know what? i really want to go to Scotland, just wondering how to be a Scottish.
Why should I have to like my motherland? Those animals should like their motherland?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Secretnerd123
Welsh accent is ah-mazing *_*
Btw why are u not proud of your trini and turkish roots. I'd be proud (esp the trini side) lol :biggrin:

haha I absolutely love the Welsh accent! :biggrin:

I've never really thought about why too much. I think it might be to do with being surrounded by my white family, as all my Turkish and Trinidadian relatives live in their home countries (apart from my father and my full Turkish grandfather).
Original post by teenhorrorstory
Russia seems like a cool country. Thoughts on the whole Ukraine conflict? :smile:

Is Lebanon quite western in comparison to the rest of the Middle East?

You more than clarified it lol! I have a friend who is really interested in Japanese culture too.

Great! Do you visit often?

Haven't been for 7 years.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Love the motherland! I was born and raised in London but returned to the motherland after I graduated.
Original post by skunkboy
Why should I have to like my motherland? Those animals should like their motherland?

Posted from TSR Mobile

You don't
Original post by Secretnerd123
Yupssa they're amazing. I used to be IN LOVE with van vicker :colondollar: :colondollar:

Nollywood movies are either really good or really bad tho. No in between :tongue:

Lol he's quite fine :wink:

So true
Original post by Foo.mp3
Kinda, although it's kinda sinking into a quagmire, and has been for a generation now.. :rolleyes:

To be fair, I'm sure people have been saying that since Victorian times, and even before.
Yes, I've grown up in Britain but am Spanish by blood and I absolutely love Spain and it's culture. That said, I also adore England and it's history. Can't really choose between them.
Reply 55
I don't really believe in patriotism. As Rou Reynolds once rather angrily put: 'Countries are just lines, drawn in the sand with a stick.'
Original post by Wattsy
I don't really believe in patriotism. As Rou Reynolds once rather angrily put: 'Countries are just lines, drawn in the sand with a stick.'

So you're not able to like one country more or less than another?
Reply 57
Original post by e aí rapaz
So you're not able to like one country more or less than another?

Not based on patriotism for my 'motherland' no. All countries are in a degree of flux. I like or dislike what is happening in a country rather than the country itself.
Reply 58
im albanian and i couldn't be more proud.
I'm fine with England :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest