The Student Room Group

Are my gcses good enough to get into medicine?

Hey guys,
I'm really interested in medicine but i don't think my gcse grades are good enough to get on the course. They are as follows:

Eng lit: A*
Eng lang: A
Maths: A
Further Maths: A*
Core science: A
Additional science: A
Further additional science: A*
French: A*
Religious studies: A*
History: A*
Economics: A*
Child development: C
Geography: D

I understand that my gcses are decent overall. But medicine is really competitive and I feel that my C and D have let me down. Do I still have a chance?

No.

Just kidding. Depends what uni... any ideas?
The C and the D aren't in subjects places look at, unis tend to focus on sciences maths and your English so you'll have no problems as long as you get good AS grades
UCL, Imperial college perhaps? I'm hoping that my A levels will redeem my gcses :colondollar:
Pimp up your UCAS, do well in your AS levels, get good A2 predictions and prepare for any interview you may get once you apply next year. Simples.
Go for it, just choose your universities wisely and build up your UCAS.
Reply 6
Original post by AmiraMoniz
Hey guys,
I'm really interested in medicine but i don't think my gcse grades are good enough to get on the course. They are as follows:

Eng lit: A*
Eng lang: A
Maths: A
Further Maths: A*
Core science: A
Additional science: A
Further additional science: A*
French: A*
Religious studies: A*
History: A*
Economics: A*
Child development: C
Geography: D

I understand that my gcses are decent overall. But medicine is really competitive and I feel that my C and D have let me down. Do I still have a chance?

Yes they should be fine because universities mostly look at your science and maths and english which look great. also for humanities you have history so don't worry about the geography so much. Also on top of that you have an A* in FRENCH WOOOW how did you manage that am teribble at it :smile: and Well done but you should get good grades in A-Levels aswell as they tend to look at your a-levels more then your gcse's :smile:
Those are very good GCSEs. The blips in Child Development and Geography shouldn't harm you at all.

Just get three As at A-level, get a bunch of work experience and write a great personal statement... you know the drill.

Good luck.
There are quite a few unis that only look at your top 8 grades so if you apply tactically those lower grades won't even be considered. They are really good GCSEs apart from those two blips so you should be really proud of those grades :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest