The Student Room Group

The Uni Study Thread Mark IV

Scroll to see replies

So, thought I'd finished the research part of my research project, hand it all to my supervisor who essentially says that if I do about another weeks worth of further work and write it up well...it's publishable. I have actual new, proper and useful scientific results. And I never actually expected it all to even work :erm:

So now I have 'a weeks worth' of work, which is more like minimum 12 hours a day of work to get this all done, and then to write up.

Also cambridge PhD interview.

Everythings going oddly well and I just keep expecting something to turn around and smack me in the face :erm:

Edit: why do I have badges from this post? What are these badges? Where did they come from? it's madness :woo:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Serentonin
So, thought I'd finished the research part of my research project, hand it all to my supervisor who essentially says that if I do about another weeks worth of further work and write it up well...it's publishable. I have actual new, proper and useful scientific results. And I never actually expected it all to even work :erm:

So now I have 'a weeks worth' of work, which is more like minimum 12 hours a day of work to get this all done, and then to write up.

Everythings going oddly well and I just keep expecting something to turn around and smack me in the face :erm:

Oh wow! Well done!!
Get it done and published, publishing a paper would secure yourself a good PhD position! That must be well exciting xD knock'em flying :wink:

:woo:

Edit: why do I have badges from this post? What are these badges? Where did they come from? it's madness :woo:

What is your research project on?
Well done btw, seems like you are doing really well :smile:

:woo: Well done on all accounts :biggrin:

How's things with the boy? :h:

Congratulations that's brilliant news :woo:

That's amazing! Congratulations :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Oh, awesome! (: Congratulations. That must be pretty exciting. What's the research on?
This assessment is not going very well. Or maybe I am just too tired to properly function. :colonhash:
Why is it so coooold? When will spring come already?! I can't feel my fingers or my nose.... Gaaah haha xD

....... This cold is driving me crazy..

And I just realised, I haven't been posting on this thread as much as I did last year.. I should really kick it up a notch. Hmm.

Hmm, and all this lazing around to wrap up and keep warm isn't favouring me at all -_-'
My weight isn't seeing sunlight on the bathroom scales either.. Not cool :emo:
Original post by MyName??!
Why is it so coooold? When will spring come already?! I can't feel my fingers or my nose.... Gaaah haha xD

....... This cold is driving me crazy..

And I just realised, I haven't been posting on this thread as much as I did last year.. I should really kick it up a notch. Hmm.

Hmm, and all this lazing around to wrap up and keep warm isn't favouring me at all -_-'
My weight isn't seeing sunlight on the bathroom scales either.. Not cool :emo:

I'm glad I don't have scales, otherwise I will probably be shocked too haha. I think i've gained 2kg or so when I look at my butt.. :emo:
Original post by BeyondandAbove
I'm glad I don't have scales, otherwise I will probably be shocked too haha. I think i've gained 2kg or so when I look at my butt.. :emo:

Haha, I sometimes wish I hadn't either.. But truthfully I wouldn't be able to live without!
And lucky you, I gained 4!! And it's so hard to get back to what I used to be cos of my constant hunger :facepalm:
I feel a little overwhelmed at the minute. I've got 4 deadlines close to each other, including my dissertation. What's annoying is that lecturers say "but I don't expect you to start on this yet" so they're not bothering to provide the relevant material for the coursework. I'm going to start work on my last due-in essay soon as that's the only one I'm able to work on independently. Also I was flipping through my online timetable the other day when I noticed a surprise dissertation meeting pop up in about 4 weeks time. I haven't done anything beyond my presentation work before Christmas! I've decided to take a much more active and serious approach to it now, and I hope I'll have the draft, or at least half, of my first chapter by this time next week. If I just get stuff down I can get some good feedback and go over it all again and aim for better quality when I'm not so overwhelmed.
I've applied for 2 internships already. One I had to send in the post so I don't know if it arrived on time (ignorance is bliss) and the other said if I don't hear back from them by today then I've not been successful. My emails have been pretty quiet :frown: nevermind... there are 2 more to apply for with their deadlines this Friday but I'm a little bit discouraged now, and with this new effort for my dissertation I'm a bit tempted not to bother. Poo.
Original post by MyName??!
Haha, I sometimes wish I hadn't either.. But truthfully I wouldn't be able to live without!
And lucky you, I gained 4!! And it's so hard to get back to what I used to be cos of my constant hunger :facepalm:

This is true. In my first year of uni I gained a whooping 7kg or so - solely due to drinking alcohol. Erm.. yeah... :erm: :unsure: Once I stopped drinking alcohol for a whole year, I lost the 7kg again (:
When you're constantly feeling hungry, maybe you're a bit dehydrated? I'd drink a glass of water, and if you're still hungry then go for some light snacks like apples, pears, oranges, blueberries, etc. A banana can saturate me for about an hour when I feel hungry! haha. I'm one of those people who simply can't finish a plate 90% of the time and I don't stress eat (because stress actually decreases my appetite/hunger), so I consider myself lucky in that aspect.

Original post by sliceofcake
I feel a little overwhelmed at the minute. I've got 4 deadlines close to each other, including my dissertation. What's annoying is that lecturers say "but I don't expect you to start on this yet" so they're not bothering to provide the relevant material for the coursework. I'm going to start work on my last due-in essay soon as that's the only one I'm able to work on independently. Also I was flipping through my online timetable the other day when I noticed a surprise dissertation meeting pop up in about 4 weeks time. I haven't done anything beyond my presentation work before Christmas! I've decided to take a much more active and serious approach to it now, and I hope I'll have the draft, or at least half, of my first chapter by this time next week. If I just get stuff down I can get some good feedback and go over it all again and aim for better quality when I'm not so overwhelmed.
I've applied for 2 internships already. One I had to send in the post so I don't know if it arrived on time (ignorance is bliss) and the other said if I don't hear back from them by today then I've not been successful. My emails have been pretty quiet :frown: nevermind... there are 2 more to apply for with their deadlines this Friday but I'm a little bit discouraged now, and with this new effort for my dissertation I'm a bit tempted not to bother. Poo.

Don't get discouraged! It's all manageable, just use your time effectively. (:

Speaking of which, I have exactly 2 days until I have to hand in an assessment and I'm nowhere near done... So I'm gonna go to a coffee place now (with free wifi and great coffee) and continue my work there.
I am fuming at my Landlord right now. Despite me reminding him that we are legally allowed 24 hours notice of him coming round he's just informed us he's tried to arrange a viewing for 5pm today and its someone else supposed to take them round and he just expects us to be in. All of us are supposed to be in uni so I hope the one housemate he texted tells him to piss off (in nicer terms of course). On a side note I cannot avoid doing some substantial essay reading this week for my Gender essay.
This is true. In my first year of uni I gained a whooping 7kg or so - solely due to drinking alcohol. Erm.. yeah... :erm: :unsure: Once I stopped drinking alcohol for a whole year, I lost the 7kg again (:
When you're constantly feeling hungry, maybe you're a bit dehydrated? I'd drink a glass of water, and if you're still hungry then go for some light snacks like apples, pears, oranges, blueberries, etc. A banana can saturate me for about an hour when I feel hungry! haha. I'm one of those people who simply can't finish a plate 90% of the time and I don't stress eat (because stress actually decreases my appetite/hunger), so I consider myself lucky in that aspect.

Lucky you! Drinking water will definitely take me somewhere :tongue: Ill do that :hugs:
Exam results, 71 and 59 haaa oops.

Never mind, you're publishable! :woo: :woo: :woo:

Keep head up.

This the one you thought you failed? :tongue:

Well done though :biggrin: (my transcript I have two modules with 55 each :tongue: )
x
how did your cancelling of seeing someone go?
Original post by WhamBamJam.
how did your cancelling of seeing someone go?

Not too bad, I think! All good (: But apparently my "excuses" were hilarious :-P oh well, to me they were serious. But no hate, no trash talk, so in my book it went good enough.

How are you doing?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending