The Student Room Group

Excluded from university, HEEEELLLPPPPP

i got excluded from university this past year because i failed my exams after being allowed to attempt them twice. one of them wasnt even my fault because there was a technical error with the submission button being disabled before the due time n my phone worked really slowly when i moved on to there to upload it that the time was up. the rest was due to my mental health in general affecting me when i never realised, and feeling more comfortable and like i do better studying in-campus instead of online (yk covid restrictions and my course doesnt require you to do on-site). ive been seeking advice from my family, friends of the family and student advisors and applied for mitigating and circumstance twice which both got rejected as according to the registry i had not justified lateness of submitting the first one and provided sufficient evidence when i did say the former and clearly about my exam results (so i couldnt have been able to submit it before i got it not knowing i was gonna fail) and i attached all letters from mental health services n the registry bloody-hell delayed getting permission for the it desk to be able to access my account again and get record of my online activity for the technical error. why r people n institutions so damn evil n just look out for themselves just wanting me off their backs like that now repeating the year wouldnt have seemed so unpleasant:angry::angry::'( :'( :'( :'(. im now taking an online course by the accounting body acca but my parents are still onto me to find ways to be allowed to study back at the university again and i agree its the best n fastest process on getting a qualification for a job n eventually move out of home having the independency ive dreamed than just be stuck here like a layabout
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by frazzsnazz6699
i got excluded from university this past year because i failed my exams after being allowed to attempt them twice. one of them wasnt even my fault because there was a technical error with the submission button being disabled before the due time n my phone worked really slowly when i moved on to there to upload it that the time was up. the rest was due to my mental health in general affecting me when i never realised, and feeling more comfortable and like i do better studying in-campus instead of online (yk covid restrictions and my course doesnt require you to do on-site). ive been seeking advice from my family, friends of the family and student advisors and applied for mitigating and circumstance twice which both got rejected as according to the registry i had not justified lateness of submitting the first one and provided sufficient evidence when i did say the former and clearly about my exam results (so i couldnt have been able to submit it before i got it not knowing i was gonna fail) and i attached all letters from mental health services n the registry bloody-hell delayed getting permission for the it desk to be able to access my account again and get record of my online activity for the technical error. why r people n institutions so damn evil n just look out for themselves just wanting me off their backs like that now repeating the year wouldnt have seemed so unpleasant:angry::angry::'( :'( :'( :'(. im now taking an online course by the accounting body acca but my parents are still onto me to find ways to be allowed to study back at the university again and i agree its the best n fastest process on getting a qualification for a job n eventually move out of home having the independency ive dreamed than just be stuck here like a layabout

Hi there! Sorry to hear about all this as it sounds very stressful- what year is it that this has happened in? Whilst I believe it is every University's own policies and discretion that decide who can re-sit/ carry on their course, I have heard of people who have failed re-sits and then been allowed to re-sit the year entirely. If you can, I would try to schedule a meeting with a personal achievement supervisor (or course leader) and discuss all of your options at this stage- which may include re-sitting the year, or even re-starting your course at another University through clearing if you are able to do so?
It might seem like the University are against you right now but generally, Universities want to see you achieve just as much as you do as it looks better on their part. Failing this, you could stick it out with your accounting course (maybe you could study part-time and work part time if you want to give yourself some more independence?) If you can get all your options in front of you then you can move onto better things more quickly.
Hope this helps,
Lizzy, Student ambassador

If my understanding is correct: You failed to submit first attempt, then failed the resit and you didn't notify the university of EC until after the exam board.

To be honest the university seems like they have followed standard procedure. I suspect if you want to go to university you'll have to re-apply elsewhere and you also have to include your past failed degree on the university application.
Original post by mnot
If my understanding is correct: You failed to submit first attempt, then failed the resit and you didn't notify the university of EC until after the exam board.

To be honest the university seems like they have followed standard procedure. I suspect if you want to go to university you'll have to re-apply elsewhere and you also have to include your past failed degree on the university application.

I never knew submitting an mc had a rule about having to exactly during the exam period and only realised my mental condition may have had to with my failing obviously once the results got out and again the lecturer told me hed mark the late submission offline and understood about the technical error
So they gave me a second chance to submit an mc claim and they rejected it not acknowledging and taking it was about my exam results and the first claim got rejected cuz again i never realised that rule and about my situation before
Original post by Uni of Hull Students
Hi there! Sorry to hear about all this as it sounds very stressful- what year is it that this has happened in? Whilst I believe it is every University's own policies and discretion that decide who can re-sit/ carry on their course, I have heard of people who have failed re-sits and then been allowed to re-sit the year entirely. If you can, I would try to schedule a meeting with a personal achievement supervisor (or course leader) and discuss all of your options at this stage- which may include re-sitting the year, or even re-starting your course at another University through clearing if you are able to do so?
It might seem like the University are against you right now but generally, Universities want to see you achieve just as much as you do as it looks better on their part. Failing this, you could stick it out with your accounting course (maybe you could study part-time and work part time if you want to give yourself some more independence?) If you can get all your options in front of you then you can move onto better things more quickly.
Hope this helps,
Lizzy, Student ambassador

Like i said the course admin n registry have been basically trying to push me away and going around in circles repeating about submitting the first mc and an exam late no matter how many times i explain i never knew i was only allowed to submit during or before exam period and that my mental health may have hit me that time without me realising and the lecturers reassurance that he marked my paper by hand. I dont exactly get how it means to book an appointment with them i have already had this communication receiving such an uptight blunt response theres nothing much i can do now is there (tho i will still have a look and see and responded again convincing them to accept my objection n let me back) and ive contacted student advisors again mentioning it and applied for counselling (altho totally separate service from all of this as yk)
I never knew submitting an mc had a rule about having to exactly during the exam period and only realised my mental condition may have had to with my failing obviously once the results got out and again the lecturer told me hed mark the late submission offline and understood about the technical error

Unfortunately ignorance of the regulations doesn't mean those regs don't exist. Having the realisation that your mental health may have affected your performance only once you got your marks still constitutes a retrospective claim.

It sounds like you'd do best to reapply to another university if a degree is what you want to do.

Anyone can claim an EC after the exam if they don’t like how they did. It’s a common form of cheating and why you need to do it beforehand. And a mental health condition is like the easiest to fake so if you just turn up after you fail saying you were depressed or anxious or whatever but didn’t realise before it just sounds like a lie or some normal anxiety exaggerated, and why they like previous attempts to get help.

Hello,

Im sorry to hear about the situation you find yourself in, when you say you've been seeking advice from student advisors, are you referring to your student's union? I believe they will have an academic advice service free to use so i would definitely consult with them regarding your issue.

Andrew
UoP Student Rep
Well id like to update that i lately wrote an appeal that also got rejected but then it was because they said I had lack of evidence for my second mc about the technical issue with one of my exam submissions which the registry said they contacted my course leader on my behalf to investigate that. But again as the reg r being pretty much lousy delaying their responses n just keep wanting me to justify lateness of submitting the first mc n asking over n over about the technical issue when ive explained my mouth off thousands of times ive decided to email my course leader myself n even calling his switchboard so i can get a more direct immediate response but they keep answering that hes also not available n taking a while to reply my email. Term has obviously already started n im basically hanging by a thread it really isnt fair if they assume im lying about my mental issue n submitting fake mcs they never gave me two chances to apply for that for totally nothing after the exam period n again turns out the second one is still pending
(edited 2 years ago)
Original post by Googley_eyes
Anyone can claim an EC after the exam if they don’t like how they did. It’s a common form of cheating and why you need to do it beforehand. And a mental health condition is like the easiest to fake so if you just turn up after you fail saying you were depressed or anxious or whatever but didn’t realise before it just sounds like a lie or some normal anxiety exaggerated, and why they like previous attempts to get help.

Since i attached screenshots of physical genuine letters from nhs mental health services confirming they have to believe it dont they? The whole point of them asking me to provide evidence when applying for the claim

F*ck University, you don't need it to do will. You deserve better than sh*t University
*well

I mean a degree gives you a more holistic view but it isn't any faster than going down the professional route to begin with

So just stick with it for the time being
Original post by WazzWazz98
I mean a degree gives you a more holistic view but it isn't any faster than going down the professional route to begin with

So just stick with it for the time being

To say my dad especially always went on at me that unis a faster process to getting a job going thru 3 yrs like a flow n then going on to a masters if i want n would give me more advantage compared to apprenticeships/internships or part-time jobs where it takes more time moving from level-to-level/promotions having lots of competition n such n would be hectic balancing work n study (i do look for part-time cuz i wanna earn my own money n need more experience at all).

I suppose i am beginning to get somewhere cuz the course admin eventually came thru lately asking me to obtain history of my online activity as evidence of my failed exam submission and send it to him just waiting for next response to decide what to do next so theres a hint of hope:smile:🙏🏼
Since i attached screenshots of physical genuine letters from nhs mental health services confirming they have to believe it dont they? The whole point of them asking me to provide evidence when applying for the claim

No they don't have to accept reasons you submitted after the results were published, even if those reasons are genuine, you need to submit them at the right time or they don't "count".

You are not a victim - this is the same rule for everyone. You need to move on from this now and decide a next step which will likely be applying to another uni if that is still the path you want to take.
Well id like to update that i lately wrote an appeal that also got rejected but then it was because they said I had lack of evidence for my second mc about the technical issue with one of my exam submissions which the registry said they contacted my course leader on my behalf to investigate that. But again as the reg r being pretty much lousy delaying their responses n just keep wanting me to justify lateness of submitting the first mc n asking over n over about the technical issue when ive explained my mouth off thousands of times ive decided to email my course leader myself n even calling his switchboard so i can get a more direct immediate response but they keep answering that hes also not available n taking a while to reply my email. Term has obviously already started n im basically hanging by a thread it really isnt fair if they assume im lying about my mental issue n submitting fake mcs they never gave me two chances to apply for that for totally nothing after the exam period n again turns out the second one is still pending

The course leader can’t ignore the regulations.

If you failed to submit and then didn’t apply for mitigation within the deadline then unless you can prove that you never had access to the regulations for the exam and show timed screenshots of the technical problems then it’s not going to get you anywhere harassing your former course leader.

If you want to go to university then apply to a new university to start in 2022. You aren’t going to overturn the university regulations

Hi, how’s it going? How are you doing? Two years later.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending