The Student Room Group

Aerospace @ Sheffield

I was considering Sheffield as my 6th choice on my UCAS form, but after looking into the course it seems really good.

I'm looking at the MEng Aerospace Engineering with PPI. The option of a year abroad really appeals, so I asked about doing both PPI and year abroad (which is the other course), and they said I can go through the 'Study Abroad' Scheme in my 3rd year. Does anyone know how competitive it is to get on the Study Abroad Scheme?

And while you're at it, what's Sheffield like as a place? I had my heart set on going to a London uni, but this course is just dragging me away.
Reply 1
It's a proper northern city! Ace! It has a reputation for a **** hole but its not bad at all and its as safe as houses.
Reply 2
Decent nightlife?

And where's the Engineers at?
Reply 3
where is it at?

Sheffields pretty pimping at night.
Reply 4
I mean where are the engineers..in here?

I assume you just live in Sheff?
Reply 5
no my sister is doing dentistry there and 4 of her mates that i know quite well are doing mechanical, aeronautical and civil there. Therefore, I know quite well what the place is like and the open day was quite helpful. I also have spent quite a few nights in sheffield so i know what going out is like.

Why don't you post in sheffield uni forum about life in sheffield/
Reply 6
I don't want to primarily about the life there - I just thought I'd ask it anyway aswell. I only live up the road, don't expect it to be too different.
I have only been to sheffield for a day, to look around the uni, and I absolutely loved it. It is really green, and being a northern city it's that little bit slower and friendlier. It seemed to have everything, huge shopping centre, decent nightlife, safe, nice transport, city with the countryside next door.

One thing, if you don't like hills it's the wrong place for you
Reply 8
dry ski slope just down the road i spotted last weekend too
lapsaJ
I was considering Sheffield as my 6th choice on my UCAS form, but after looking into the course it seems really good.

I'm looking at the MEng Aerospace Engineering with PPI. The option of a year abroad really appeals, so I asked about doing both PPI and year abroad (which is the other course), and they said I can go through the 'Study Abroad' Scheme in my 3rd year. Does anyone know how competitive it is to get on the Study Abroad Scheme?

And while you're at it, what's Sheffield like as a place? I had my heart set on going to a London uni, but this course is just dragging me away.

That course is REALLY tempting, isn't it?:p:
You like the uni, like the place, like the course....maybe it should be your first choice?
Where else you looking to apply?
Reply 10
melquíades el gitano
That course is REALLY tempting, isn't it?:p:
You like the uni, like the place, like the course....maybe it should be your first choice?
Where else you looking to apply?

AeroEng @ Imperial :wink:

So if I get in, I'll see you there! I wouldn't be able to turn down Imperial, it'll always be my first choice. :smile:
Haha will do. Although I was a click away from swapping round Imperial and Bath... i'll just have to find my own track to run on... and girls... lol.
If they had the pilot instruction bit at Imperial.............
Reply 12
melquíades el gitano
Haha will do. Although I was a click away from swapping round Imperial and Bath... i'll just have to find my own track to run on... and girls... lol.
If they had the pilot instruction bit at Imperial.............

...then it'd be SUPER hard to get into!

What was your interview like?
Reply 13
But you can do you your ppl out of uni for the same price? IIRC the ppl bit is an optional extra.

P.s Don't go to a uyni because its prestige go to the one that you like best - course, place e,.t.c.
Reply 14
So you actually have to fork out for the PPL when its part of the course? Usually, PPL's cost about £5-6k to get through.

With Sheffield, the only thing that appeals is the course. With Imperial, it's the place, the uni, the facilities etc.

Latest