The Student Room Group

Which Car To Get? - Ford Fiesta Zetec (2013) vs BMW 3 SERIES 318i (2005)

I'm currently conflicted on which car I should buy. It's either between a 2013 model Ford Fiesta Zetec (around 10k miles) or a BMW 3 Series 318i (2005, 50k miles).

Both fit in my price range - with money spare for repair and maintenance costs (I'm looking at you, BMW).

You can either give your opinion solely on aesthetics, overall performance, or both.

I also care too much about what other people think of me; so what car do you think would be most appealing to people? :laugh:

Some photos of both cars:

(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jjd213
I'm currently conflicted on which car I should buy. It's either between a 2013 model Ford Fiesta Zetec (around 10k miles) or a BMW 3 Series 318i (2005, 50k miles).

Both fit in my price range - with money spare for repair and maintenance costs (I'm looking at you, BMW).

You can either give your opinion solely on aesthetics, overall performance, or both.

I also care too much about what other people think of me; so what car do you think would be most appealing to people? :laugh:

Some photos of both cars:

Gosh, I mean you can't compare a downmarket brand like Ford to BMW. Anyway, the main thing is this: you're a guy, so get the BMW for goodness sake! Also, here's aanother reason why you should: even with 40k more miles than the Fiesta, the BMW will be EASILY more reliable and better to drive. A 3 series is a guy's car through and through.

On the other hand, if you want something more "modern", the Ford seems to fit the bill but IMO guys shouldn't drive cars like that because it doesn't look good. Plus, there's always the maintenance because of the fact that Ford tends to make weak cars.
(edited 9 years ago)
I'd personally go for the Ford, based on the fact that it looks better, would get a Civic TypeR though if it was my choice

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Fiesta.

I don't get where the BMW fascination comes from. They are literally everywhere and the 318 is the cheapest one you can get in E90 guise without venturing into the woeful 316i. What does that say about image? If you like the car then fine, but if you're going to buy it on image alone, then you'll look silly.

The Fiesta is a fun little car with enough poke. I think it's a smart car although if it were my way I'd go for the Zetec S at least for the bodykit, although in reality I'd get the ST with a Mountune upgrade.
You should be able to get that BMW for about £4000 and you'll want the SE model.
The 320D SE would probably be the better all round car. Don't worry too much about the millage, these cars are just sat on the motorway half the time.

Having said that, if you're just going to driving around town than the Ford is probably better.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 5
OBVIOUSLY THE BMW!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
BMW 318i = car for those who want a badge only, generally a all show no go personality type person who'd buy such a junk.
10 year old BMW = Car for those who make bad financial decisions particularly if they are buying it in view to impress.

I personally find nothing impressive about someone driving a 10 year old BMW. Certainly won't be admiring such a character but would be looking down on them too. 10 year old 318i, you should be able to deduce.

The fiesta isn't a bad car, quite a good car for the price but the design is not to my taste and I doubt I'd buy one with the 1.0l Ecoboost engine.
Silly to buy a 10 year old bmw just for the badge. You may as well get a new one.
Original post by Alfissti
BMW 318i = car for those who want a badge only, generally a all show no go personality type person who'd buy such a junk.
10 year old BMW = Car for those who make bad financial decisions particularly if they are buying it in view to impress.

I personally find nothing impressive about someone driving a 10 year old BMW. Certainly won't be admiring such a character but would be looking down on them too. 10 year old 318i, you should be able to deduce.

The fiesta isn't a bad car, quite a good car for the price but the design is not to my taste and I doubt I'd buy one with the 1.0l Ecoboost engine.

Some of this post hurt, Alfissti.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The two cars aren't really comparable.

Yeah the Bimmer might be better to drive when it's working fine... But the fiesta might be aore 'sensible option'.

If I had to have a BMW of that age is go for a 330 or 335.

If I had to choose a 2013 fiesta Id either go for the ST or the 1.6 TDCi.

Your shout... Which do you think will suit you better for your purposes - including age, miles you'll be doing, type of roads you'll be using etc.

The Bimmer will cost a hell of a lot more to look after than the Fiesta... But might well be alone comfy drive!
Don't buy the E90 318i.

The E90 is a heavier car than the E46 and the 2.0 engine, while not slow, isn't going to match the feeling of the car and will probably leave you wishing for more.

If you want a small engine BMW buy a 320D.

Ignore the people saying not to buy a 10 year old BMW for this or that reason. The truth is you can buy a 10 year old BMW with more features and the like for less than a newer car and if you choose the right engine models you know they'll be good for 250,000+ miles.
If you're **** at parking get the Fiesta.
Go for the 3 Series but not 318i. You're much better off with a well-looked after E46 330d or an E90 320d (E90 330d is probably a bit over budget).

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending