The Student Room Group

A devastated father takes to Facebook with a blunt message after his son dies of OD

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Balloon Baboon
Other countries aren't the UK.

End.

And why would the UK never legalise drugs? If more states in the US adopt the legalisation of certain illegal drugs and other countries around the world, and it continues to prove useful then it's almost inevitable that the UK will follow suit.
Original post by Zander01
And why would the UK never legalise drugs? If more states in the US adopt the legalisation of certain illegal drugs and other countries around the world, and it continues to prove useful then it's almost inevitable that the UK will follow suit.

The UK has its own laws and those laws are not controlled by the US, nor does the House or Commons or the House of Lords amend or create laws in reply to what the U.S has or is wanting to do.
The UK has its own laws and those laws are not controlled by the US, nor does the House or Commons or the House of Lords amend or create laws in reply to what the U.S has or is wanting to do.

Are you serious? At what point did I even hint at the notion the US controls UK laws... And yes states quite often amend laws when looking at how positively or adversely they affect their respective societies. Or do you think every country just coincidentally managed to come up with similar laws?
Original post by Zander01
Are you serious? At what point did I even hint at the notion the US controls UK laws... And yes states quite often amend laws when looking at how positively or adversely they affect their respective societies. Or do you think every country just coincidentally managed to come up with similar laws?

Why even bring the U.S. and its states up? What was your point? :biggrin:

Like I said before; drug laws have already been amended. The general public have already voted and the law has been made.

[edit] This thread has been ongoing for a while now. Let's see what happens and re-visit this thread in 5 years time. Nothing will have changed.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by bertstare
"Our cases suggest supra-therapeutic dextromethorphan doses with a therapeutic amount of a SSRI are required for serotonin syndrome"

Yes, when combined with an SSRI. Read your own links.

The ability of dextromethorphan to potentiate serotonin levels and lead to serotonin syndrome is well known but few case reports are published.

More work is needed to answer this question more completely.

And alone
Why even bring the U.S. and its states up? What was your point? :biggrin:

Like I said before; drug laws have already been amended. The general public have already voted and the law has been made.

[edit] This thread has been ongoing for a while now. Let's see what happens and re-visit this thread in 5 years time. Nothing will have changed.

Sorry when did the public vote on drug laws? When are the general public ever consulted on public policy? Im asking a genuine question here in case I sound provocative XD
Original post by phaedron
Sorry when did the public vote on drug laws? When are the general public ever consulted on public policy? Im asking a genuine question here in case I sound provocative XD

Once a bill (a possible new law) is called for, this includes changes to current laws, said bill is scrutinised by both the House of Lords and House of Commons. Within these are professionals of the subject, knowledge peers and of course the general public are invited to express their thoughts and opinions on the new bill.

In addition, public groups, both against and for can express their views. For example; Green Peace may get involved with specific subjects. Etc.
Once a bill (a possible new law) is called for, this includes changes to current laws, said bill is scrutinised by both the House of Lords and House of Commons. Within these are professionals of the subject, knowledge peers and of course the general public are invited to express their thoughts and opinions on the new bill.

In addition, public groups, both against and for can express their views. For example; Green Peace may get involved with specific subjects. Etc.

Your phrasing implied that there was a global vote on drug policy. I believe that if there were such a vote our drug laws wold be very different.
Reply 168
Feel for the parents, not so much for the 'victim'.
Original post by phaedron
Your phrasing implied that there was a global vote on drug policy. I believe that if there were such a vote our drug laws wold be very different.

No, not at all. You can't expect there to be a universal vote on each law that is created or amended. It would simply take too long.
No, not at all. You can't expect there to be a universal vote on each law that is created or amended. It would simply take too long.

It never happens which is the dispute and which is one of the reasons why Britain is at best a parody of Athenian democracy. In defense of keeping the masses out of lawmaking however, I doubt that having public participation in the legal process would improve anything at all.

Quick Reply

Latest