The Student Room Group

Reapplying for uni even though im in university already.. wait it gets more complex!

Ok I took my A levels in May/June this year and got A in chemistry, B in biology and B in physics. I applied for a biology remark and in the meantime i sorted out going to do Biomedical Science at King's College London. The remark came back on friday 29th September and it turns out i got an A and not a B in biology leaving me with the grades AAB, which i require for medicine. My old brother who already is in medicine says that i should reapply this year for medicine.
This is where it gets complicated, I have been frantically running about for the past few hours online seeing what medicine requires now as it changed since i applied last year.Now here is a list of my problems

I've missed the deadline to apply for UKCAT, i would have to apply for late entry into the BMAT, sort out a UCAS form for next sunday including personal statement, referee, reference etc. I have little/no work experience in hospitals.

Its too late to drop out of King's without having to pay the £3,000 tuition fees as I've missed the 2 Week drop out period so would have to do a year of biomed or nothing for a year and pay them for biomed (the government would pay and I would owe them)

If I do get into medicine as far as I know I wouldn't get any financial backing from the government as they would have effectly already paid for a course for me.

Or my alternative is to stay in King's and fulfil the biomedical science course and apply for postgraduate 4year medicine afterwards like my brother did.

If you were in my situation what would you do? baring in mind you have everyone not in your situation saying 'If you don't at least try then your a *CENSORED*'

I would also like to know if there are anyways that I could get around the UKCAT deadline as i blame AQA for me missing it :mad: *mumbles stuff about them* or any other information that may help!!!!
Reply 1
if i was in your situation i would complete the course your doing at uni now, then apply for medicine as a postgraduate. it means taking longer to finish the medicine course and a lot of extra debt but if its what you want to do...

also if you apply as a postgraduate you will have enough time to sort out and do work experience, write your personal statement/reference and do UKCAT.

hope this helps
Reply 2
Do you want to do medicine? If so, how much? Would it be worth the hassle and £3000?

If you do go for it, have you got the required work experience etc?
Reply 3
is there no way u can internally transfer onto the medicine course at kings at the end of the yr considering you now have the required grades?

ask them kindly bring chocolate lol.
Reply 4
I was going to try and speak to the head of medicine tomorrow and see what he says about it. I think it would be better to do post graduate medicine as Guy's and St Thomas' hospital is on the Guys Campus (where I do biomedicine) so I could get loads of Work experience within 2yrs and financially I'm not to worried as I've worked for 2 years and stockpiled some cash and I still have my job while doing Biomed.
The problem is my brother who is determined that I should apply now and we ended up arguing over the phone and then he said 'he would sort it all out and do the UCAS, speak to UKCAT and see about their deadlines, etc.

oh btw I know what the head of medicine looks like and I dont think he is a chocolate man... human meat looks more his thing....
Reply 5
Necro
I was going to try and speak to the head of medicine tomorrow and see what he says about it. I think it would be better to do post graduate medicine as Guy's and St Thomas' hospital is on the Guys Campus (where I do biomedicine) so I could get loads of Work experience within 2yrs and financially I'm not to worried as I've worked for 2 years and stockpiled some cash and I still have my job while doing Biomed.
The problem is my brother who is determined that I should apply now and we ended up arguing over the phone and then he said 'he would sort it all out and do the UCAS, speak to UKCAT and see about their deadlines, etc.

oh btw I know what the head of medicine looks like and I dont think he is a chocolate man... human meat looks more his thing....

sorry but as if ure brother can really comment as he is doing what you are planning to do in three years time. i think hes jsut trying to somehow make up for what he did/didnt do by pushing you to do it now.
Reply 6
Well hopefully by the end of tomorrow he will realise I'm right about it and forget it after talking to UKCAT, etc.

Btw King's make it very clear at the start of the year that its impossible to switch from a biomedical science course to Medicine or a course like that. They have a 'common year one' for some of the courses where the first year is the same (as the name suggests lol) and you can change between those easily. But they like to make it difficult to switch to the 'professional courses' eg Medicine, Dentistry, etc. Yet I would still like to speak to the Head of medicine.

Latest

Trending

Trending