The Student Room Group

The Ultimate UCAS Extra Thread 2023

So, with five days left till UCAS Extra 2023 opens, I thought that I should make a helpful post for people to refer to during this time :smile:

What is UCAS Extra?
UCAS Extra is an opportunity to add another option to your application, in case you've been rejected from all your uni choices.

Who can use UCAS Extra?
If you've been rejected from all five uni choices, or have declined all your offers, you're eligible!

(NOTE: If you haven't used all five slots yet, you'll have to fill them in first before UCAS Extra.)

When does UCAS Extra run till?
UCAS Extra 2023 runs from 23rd February to 4th July.

However, do note that all unis and courses will not be in Extra. If a uni or course is competitive and/or oversubscribed, it is less likely to be in UCAS Extra.

For more information how to use UCAS Extra, please refer to this link! :smile:

Scroll to see replies

@Admit-One @PQ @DataVenia

Apologies for the mass tag, but I've been seeing a lot of 'what's UCAS Extra' posts on here recently, so I made this post so that everyone interested can get info quick (and without us having to type it out over and over :lol:). Feel free to link this post to anyone who has doubts about Extra and what it entails! :biggrin:
(edited 1 year ago)
I’m new to all this so I just wondered if people can generally look at the courses on offer for UCAS Extra, as well as the universities that are using it, or if you have to have no offers in order to view it?
Original post by Squiggles1238
I’m new to all this so I just wondered if people can generally look at the courses on offer for UCAS Extra, as well as the universities that are using it, or if you have to have no offers in order to view it?

I’m theory, courses that are still showing as having vacancies on UCAS should be open to Extra applicants too. However, unis don’t always update this information quickly, so in all cases it is better to call the uni up and confirm whether they are open to Extra applicants before you submit to them via UCAS.
I’m planning on applying to pharmacy at Wolverhampton through extra after being rejected from my universities but I have to send them a separate personal statement which they told me I could send through to their admissions team. Just wondering if anyone else has applied through extra for pharmacy, how was the process like? Was it stressful and were there many vacancies for pharmacy? Thanks x
Original post by ssana.khz
I’m planning on applying to pharmacy at Wolverhampton through extra after being rejected from my universities but I have to send them a separate personal statement which they told me I could send through to their admissions team. Just wondering if anyone else has applied through extra for pharmacy, how was the process like? Was it stressful and were there many vacancies for pharmacy? Thanks x

Hi there!

It's great to hear you are considering us, have you thought about attending our on-campus event tomorrow evening as you can find out more? Please visit this link to book!

In the meantime, I will try to find out information about your personal statement!

Good luck!
Som (University of Wolverhampton rep)
So, out of curiosity, I used the UCAS search filter for "Course vacancies in England" for Psychology and I see my search results. Am surprised to see that Cardiff has vacancies when it is top 10 in the UK for Psychology. Psychology and Psychology with Professional Placement. I know it cannot be certain that this isn't a mistake and that they really have vacancies. Anyone who's looking for Psych and is looking for additional choices, call Cardiff! (Both courses are BPS-accredited) GOOD LUCK!

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/0f8e1156-5671-8595-29a7-4213260428ee?academicYearId=2023
https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/courses/138e1853-c839-b317-cfc9-416203d318c6?academicYearId=2023

Screenshot 2023-02-23 at 7.38.51 AM.png
Day One of UCAS Extra. I used the search function on UCAS using key filters UCL + Courses with vacancies and these are the search results. Anyone who is keen on these courses, do contact UCL Admissions to (1) confirm the course is indeed offered for Extra (2) ask UCL if they will consider your application before you reject any of the offers that you are holding. To reject offers without getting confirmation is very risky!

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&attendanceTypes=Full-time&providers=UCL%20(University%20College%20London)&qualifications=Bachelor%20degrees%20(with%20or%20without%20Honours)&regions=England&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=16&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None
Original post by BubblesBB
Day One of UCAS Extra. I used the search function on UCAS using key filters UCL + Courses with vacancies and these are the search results. Anyone who is keen on these courses, do contact UCL Admissions to (1) confirm the course is indeed offered for Extra (2) ask UCL if they will consider your application before you reject any of the offers that you are holding. To reject offers without getting confirmation is very risky!

https://digital.ucas.com/coursedisplay/results/courses?studyYear=2023&destination=Undergraduate&attendanceTypes=Full-time&providers=UCL%20(University%20College%20London)&qualifications=Bachelor%20degrees%20(with%20or%20without%20Honours)&regions=England&vacancy=eng&postcodeDistanceSystem=imperial&pageNumber=16&sort=MostRelevant&clearingPreference=None

Just received my final rejection from UoB today. Total of 5 rejections :frown:
So I applied for Pharmacy at Wolverhampton, God willing I get an interview and an offer from them!!
Original post by WolvesRep1
Hi there!

It's great to hear you are considering us, have you thought about attending our on-campus event tomorrow evening as you can find out more? Please visit this link to book!

In the meantime, I will try to find out information about your personal statement!

Good luck!
Som (University of Wolverhampton rep)

I've Just sent my personal statement to the admissions team and I've added Pharmacy to UCAS Extra!
Praying I make it!!

Thanks,
Sana.
So I applied for Pharmacy at Wolverhampton, God willing I get an interview and an offer from them!!

I’m sorry to hear that you received 5 rejections :frown: But I’m rooting for you to get an offer from Wolverhampton! :smile: If you need any assistance, feel free to post it here and we’ll do our best to help :biggrin:
Original post by sleep_supremacy
I’m sorry to hear that you received 5 rejections :frown: But I’m rooting for you to get an offer from Wolverhampton! :smile: If you need any assistance, feel free to post it here and we’ll do our best to help :biggrin:

Thankyou!!

HUGS! I hope you get your offer from Wolverhampton! So the admissions dept told you to send your PS to them, and did they tell you what to expect after adding them on UCAS Extra?
HUGS! I hope you get your offer from Wolverhampton! So the admissions dept told you to send your PS to them, and did they tell you what to expect after adding them on UCAS Extra?

thanks🥹 yes I explained my situation to them and they said to me to send my PS to their admissions team. No Info given after adding wolves to extra though!
thanks🥹 yes I explained my situation to them and they said to me to send my PS to their admissions team. No Info given after adding wolves to extra though!

GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! Hope a decision would be swift!
GOOD LUCK! GOOD LUCK! Hope a decision would be swift!

THANYOU!! much love:smile:
Reply 16
I've Just sent my personal statement to the admissions team and I've added Pharmacy to UCAS Extra
Praying I make it!!

Thanks,
Sana.

Sending best of luck! If there is an interview, there is a very useful pharmacy thread on TSI. All the best.
(edited 1 year ago)
Reply 17
I'm thinking of applying to Bioprocessing for New Medicines at UCL - Do they require an interview for this process because UCL says they do interview for Management Science courses but is the bioprocessing same category as management science? I'm really scareddd I'm not getting into uniii. I wanna cryyyy
Original post by mytsz
I'm thinking of applying to Bioprocessing for New Medicines at UCL - Do they require an interview for this process because UCL says they do interview for Management Science courses but is the bioprocessing same category as management science? I'm really scareddd I'm not getting into uniii. I wanna cryyyy

Contact admissions and ask them this. Don’t apply until you know the requirements for the course fully. I know that uni applications are a pretty scary time, but there’s still plenty of opportunities to get into a uni of your choice this year! Have a hug :console:
Is it normal to see a course you've applied for/waiting for a response for advertised as having vacancies in UCAS Extras ?

Hoping it's just a case of the University not having updated the UCAS database

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending