The Student Room Group

A-level subjects

I'm not sure on what subjects to choose for AS and I have no clue what to do at university
but the subjects I'm think of are Maths, Physics, Economics and Spanish, or replace one for Further maths or Chemistry. What courses could I go into with these subjects
Original post by n_hundred
I'm not sure on what subjects to choose for AS and I have no clue what to do at university
but the subjects I'm think of are Maths, Physics, Economics and Spanish, or replace one for Further maths or Chemistry. What courses could I go into with these subjects

Unless you really like maths or want to go into a maths related career I wouldn't take further maths since it completely takes over your revision time for other subjects.

Apart from that your choices look perfect, the maths and physics show logical thinking, economics shows essay writing techniques which unis love and Spanish allows you options into international workplaces whilst showing acceptance of other cultures blah blah blah.

As for replacing something with chemistry I have heard that chemistry is much harder than physics, since I only take physics, so unless you want to get into medicine, physics is the best choice.
Reply 2
Original post by BinaryJava
Unless you really like maths or want to go into a maths related career I wouldn't take further maths since it completely takes over your revision time for other subjects.

Apart from that your choices look perfect, the maths and physics show logical thinking, economics shows essay writing techniques which unis love and Spanish allows you options into international workplaces whilst showing acceptance of other cultures blah blah blah.

As for replacing something with chemistry I have heard that chemistry is much harder than physics, since I only take physics, so unless you want to get into medicine, physics is the best choice.

Is further maths too much to cover, we do the full a level of normal maths first year which does seem a lot but is it manageable. Do you know anyone or if you do further maths, is it overloading if you do it with just another two AS?
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by n_hundred
Is further maths too much to cover, we do the full a level of normal maths first year which does seem a lot but is it manageable. Do you know anyone or if you do further maths, is it overloading if you do it with just another two AS?

I am currently taking it an I do 4 hours of extra work on further maths every night, although my maths is not that good.

Quick Reply

Latest