The Student Room Group

Writing, referencing others, any tips much appreciated.

EDIT -

I should add that I'm using the Harvard referencing standard.

How do, I've been writing again recently as I'm back in education but I'm a bit unsure about how I should be writing and some aspects of the referencing.

What I'm not too confident with is the "academic style"; how I should express and present points and arguments around this. As I understand I can't actually have an opinion, rather everything has to be validated by a reference. But in doing this I would end up with every sentence being referenced, and potentially large slabs of quotations. I'm not to bad at formulating an opinion and expressing myself, but I'm quite unfamiliar with the process of doing so in an academic sense.

With the referencing I understand that some sources are a no-no (wiki etc) but what about something that's been edited rather than written? I was looking at something earlier that was 'Editied by John Doe' rather than written by him. I think it was a collection of industry professionals approaches to the subject or something of the sort (it was on databases)

Any pointers very welcome, sorry if this is in the wrong section I was unsure where to post

Thanks!
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ithinkso
EDIT -

I should add that I'm using the Harvard referencing standard.

How do, I've been writing again recently as I'm back in education but I'm a bit unsure about how I should be writing and some aspects of the referencing.

What I'm not too confident with is the "academic style"; how I should express and present points and arguments around this. As I understand I can't actually have an opinion, rather everything has to be validated by a reference. But in doing this I would end up with every sentence being referenced, and potentially large slabs of quotations. I'm not to bad at formulating an opinion and expressing myself, but I'm quite unfamiliar with the process of doing so in an academic sense.

With the referencing I understand that some sources are a no-no (wiki etc) but what about something that's been edited rather than written? I was looking at something earlier that was 'Editied by John Doe' rather than written by him. I think it was a collection of industry professionals approaches to the subject or something of the sort (it was on databases)

Any pointers very welcome, sorry if this is in the wrong section I was unsure where to post

Thanks!

You can have an opinion, but it must be backed up with a reference. You read around a subject and decide which people you agree with and use the evidence to say why. It's true that most work in a paragraph will be referenced apart from the first sentence and the last one or two. Edited books are fine but you need to name the person who actually wrote the bit you are referring in text and not the guy who edited it. Then in the bibliography you name both people.
Reply 2
Original post by RKXY
I do know for Law, you have a particular set of rules called OSCOLA (you should be able to download a quick reference guide somewhere). That tells you the basic way of citing a source. What I'm saying now is what I learnt in Law school, remember that.

Cheers RKXY, sos for the latent reply. We're using the Harvard referencing, I should have included that in the OP (though I'm sure there are many similarities)

Original post by RKXY

most teachers tell you to be humble when discussing something. You're not deemed to be knowledgeable enough to talk authoritatively on a subject. That being said, you don't (and shouldn't) have to reference each and every line.

Absolutely, I would never put something forward as a fact really, but sometimes when you've attended a class and (supposedly!) learnt it there's an inclination to just write it. I often find that I'm writing something then having to find something to back it up, even though it's just saying the same thing that I wrote. I guess this is just part of it though :smile:

Original post by RKXY

Quotations aren't generally the best thing. They're not outright wrong to use, but keep their use very limited. You shouldn't be relying on them a lot/entirely.

No, they feel a bit ugly to be honest.

But one thing I get confused about sometimes is the paraphrasing of something, at what point the information becomes abstracted enough for me to express it with any reference etc.

Thanks!

Original post by jelly1000
You can have an opinion, but it must be backed up with a reference. You read around a subject and decide which people you agree with and use the evidence to say why. It's true that most work in a paragraph will be referenced apart from the first sentence and the last one or two. Edited books are fine but you need to name the person who actually wrote the bit you are referring in text and not the guy who edited it. Then in the bibliography you name both people.

Cheers Jelly - I might use an example here to see If I'm understanding

Here's a source -

Here's an excerpt of what I have written that refers to this writing :

So in this example it was something that I already knew, but as my sentence was going to be something along the lines of

I thought that this sentence might be me presenting something as a fact, and that as a result I should provide a reference for it.

Would be great to get an opinion on this example.

Thanks!

Reply 3
Ah balls - just realised that the example I gave was from a self published book!! Grrr.

What the consensus on a self published text like this? I guess it's worth no more than a blog post is it :frown:
Cheers RKXY, sos for the latent reply. We're using the Harvard referencing, I should have included that in the OP (though I'm sure there are many similarities)

Absolutely, I would never put something forward as a fact really, but sometimes when you've attended a class and (supposedly!) learnt it there's an inclination to just write it. I often find that I'm writing something then having to find something to back it up, even though it's just saying the same thing that I wrote. I guess this is just part of it though :smile:

No, they feel a bit ugly to be honest.

But one thing I get confused about sometimes is the paraphrasing of something, at what point the information becomes abstracted enough for me to express it with any reference etc.

Thanks!

Cheers Jelly - I might use an example here to see If I'm understanding

Here's a source -

Here's an excerpt of what I have written that refers to this writing :

So in this example it was something that I already knew, but as my sentence was going to be something along the lines of

I thought that this sentence might be me presenting something as a fact, and that as a result I should provide a reference for it.

Would be great to get an opinion on this example.

Thanks!

Both are fine, with the second especially you would need evidence to support why you believed the point you've made and you put the reference at the end of the sentence.
Reply 5
Thanks Jelly, If I may ask something else (not sure if these should be separate posts; they seem fairly trivial)

What's the verdict on citing the same source multiple times? I'm not sure how this is looked at, as if there is a decent text on the subject it may contain lots of information relevant to the essay. I've heard that it's frowned on though, so perhaps there's a rule of thumb here.

cheers
Well, what I've done is read multiple books and online sources on the subject, put it into my own words (whilst still writing academically), and then added the reference at the end of a paragraph usually. If I'm taking a quote/using a combination of references, then I obviously add the references somewhere in the middle of the paragraph also. I've cited the same source multiple times... but my last three (2500-2750ish word) assignments had about 10-15 different references at the end.
Reply 7
Original post by kathykathykathy
Well, what I've done is read multiple books and online sources on the subject, put it into my own words (whilst still writing academically), and then added the reference at the end of a paragraph usually. If I'm taking a quote/using a combination of references, then I obviously add the references somewhere in the middle of the paragraph also. I've cited the same source multiple times... but my last three (2500-2750ish word) assignments had about 10-15 different references at the end.

Cheers Kathy - I don't think that approach would be acceptable for our work, we're expected to give in text citations , which I guess yours is, but as far as I can see they are expected to be placed immediately after the related material (at the end of the sentence)

What referencing standard are you working to?

Thanks
Thanks Jelly, If I may ask something else (not sure if these should be separate posts; they seem fairly trivial)

What's the verdict on citing the same source multiple times? I'm not sure how this is looked at, as if there is a decent text on the subject it may contain lots of information relevant to the essay. I've heard that it's frowned on though, so perhaps there's a rule of thumb here.

cheers

sorry only just seen this, its better if you quote me using the quotations button! and yes its definitley allowed to cite the same source several times, just make sure you do use others, and it does look better if a paragraph has mulitiple different sources. What isn't good is to have one paragraph where you just refer to one person.
Cheers Kathy - I don't think that approach would be acceptable for our work, we're expected to give in text citations , which I guess yours is, but as far as I can see they are expected to be placed immediately after the related material (at the end of the sentence)

What referencing standard are you working to?

Thanks

All Access courses use Harvard referencing afaik. I'm not sure if you misinterpreted what I said...? I obviously place the reference immediately after a quote.

Unless I'm stating something specific (e.g. King (2005) believed that...) then I generally just add the reference(s) I used for a paragraph at the end of it. I add them immediately after each relevant sentence throughout a paragraph if I have used a boatload of references for a particular part of my assignment.

I used uni websites to learn how to reference and have received distinctions in everything so far. :confused:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 10
All Access courses use Harvard referencing afaik. I'm not sure if you misinterpreted what I said...? I obviously place the reference immediately after a quote.

Most likely me doing any misinterpretation!

Unless I'm stating something specific (e.g. King (2005) believed that...) then I generally just add the reference(s) I used for a paragraph at the end of it. I add them immediately after each relevant sentence throughout a paragraph if I have used a boatload of references for a particular part of my assignment.

Right ok, sounds like this was something that I was getting confused with then.

So when you add the references at the end of the paragraph are they ordered ? Or is it just a list of references backing up what you wrote.

One of the things that I'm getting slightly blurred with as well is paraphrasing, and how abstracted something needs to be before it's no longer paraphrasing but my interpretation of that information.

Using the front page of BBC news as an example (I'm just going to refer to it as 'BBC 2014'):

Quote :

"A dozen US cities see new protests over the decision not to charge a white policeman who shot a black teenager in Missouri, with rioting in California (BBC 2014)"

Paraphrase ( ? ) :

There are many US cities protesting due to the court hearing of the policeman who shot a Missourian teenager (BBC 2014)

So If I was to use the above paraphrase in a paragraph, would I put the reference immediately after the sentence as

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. There are many US cities protesting due to the court hearing of the policeman who shot a Missourian teenager (BBC 2014) Ut enim ad minima veniam, quis nostrum exercitationem ullam corporis suscipit laboriosam, nisi ut aliquid ex ea commodi consequatur?

I'm trying to work this into an example where the reference would be at the end of the paragraph with others like

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit, sed do eiusmod tempor incididunt ut labore et dolore magna aliqua. Ut enim ad minim veniam, quis nostrud exercitation ullamco laboris nisi ut aliquip ex ea commodo consequat. Duis aute irure dolor in reprehenderit in voluptate velit esse cillum dolore eu fugiat nulla pariatur (Author 2012, Author 2002, Author 2013)

Hopefully this isn't all too vague, thanks!
Reply 11
Definitely your first example in most situations. The in-text reference should immediately follow whatever it is you're attributing to that source, even if it comes in the middle of a paragraph or even a sentence.

e.g. "One commentator theorises thatt the sky is green (Smith 2011) whilst another asserts that it is grey (Jones 2012)."

They shouldn't be bunched togather at the end of the paragraph, unless all of the sources are saying the same thing and your paraphrasing covers all of them at once. It is possible. In that case, the references should be in date order.

e.g. "It has been established that the sky is actually blue (Singh 2001; Martin 2008; Bloggs 2014)."
(edited 9 years ago)
Exactly what Klix88 said. I would definitely use your first example for the BBC referencing. I think part of the confusion comes from the fact that I was very limited in my access to books and relevant online sources for one of the last three units I studied and that meant that all of my information in certain paragraphs came entirely from one source.

I have bundled a few references together with semicolons once or twice like Klix showed you. Sorry for not explaining myself very well!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending