The Student Room Group

Rude flatmates don't respect me

I'm in second year Uni and I'm living with four flatmates in a private accommodation which I didn't know in first year. They are completely different to my flatmates last year in that they cause me so much stress and problems.
For a start they are partying until like 3-4 AM so I barely get any sleep most nights. I never clicked with them since I came in. I just don't share interests with them and they're not my type of people. I have focused on my work(in the library most of the time) as I am doing a demanding degree at Leeds Uni so I don't get much time to hang around with them. They are all in Leeds Beckett so they are having a nice time relaxing and blast music most of the day.
I occasionally speak to them when I see them outside our block but they seem quite rude when talking to me.
I feel quite lonely and ill since I haven't been sleeping as much as I did before. I've been going back home more often but it's so far away and I don't get much work done.
How can I solve these problems?
Original post by Anonymous
I'm in second year Uni and I'm living with four flatmates in a private accommodation which I didn't know in first year. They are completely different to my flatmates last year in that they cause me so much stress and problems.
For a start they are partying until like 3-4 AM so I barely get any sleep most nights. I never clicked with them since I came in. I just don't share interests with them and they're not my type of people. I have focused on my work(in the library most of the time) as I am doing a demanding degree at Leeds Uni so I don't get much time to hang around with them. They are all in Leeds Beckett so they are having a nice time relaxing and blast music most of the day.
I occasionally speak to them when I see them outside our block but they seem quite rude when talking to me.
I feel quite lonely and ill since I haven't been sleeping as much as I did before. I've been going back home more often but it's so far away and I don't get much work done.
How can I solve these problems?

Do they know the problems they're causing you? Is your landlord able to deal with it and pass it off as a neighbour complaining about the noise?
Reply 2
Bloody students.
Reply 3
Original post by RachaelBee
Do they know the problems they're causing you? Is your landlord able to deal with it and pass it off as a neighbour complaining about the noise?

I think they know that they are causing me problems, and I don't think they really care.

I don't think there is a landlord as I'm living in a private student accommodation and the security guards are quite useless too when making complaints.
I think they know that they are causing me problems, and I don't think they really care.

I don't think there is a landlord as I'm living in a private student accommodation and the security guards are quite useless too when making complaints.

Is it too late to be asked to be moved?
Reply 5
This is my biggest fear when moving out for university

Complain to the management company- they must have procedures for this sort of thing.
Reply 7
Original post by RachaelBee
Is it too late to be asked to be moved?

Moving isn't easy and I think it is a bit too late now.
Reply 8
They sound very annoying and inconsiderate. Unfortunately that means you can't solve this by talking to them. With that type of people, unless you have backup, confrontation will probably make it worse. So, get earplugs - really helps. And be friendly and interested when you see them around, but spend most of your time elsewhere / with friends / studying in the library. How long do you have left to stay?
Reply 9
Original post by llys
They sound very annoying and inconsiderate. Unfortunately that means you can't solve this by talking to them. With that type of people, unless you have backup, confrontation will probably make it worse. So, get earplugs - really helps. And be friendly and interested when you see them around, but spend most of your time elsewhere / with friends / studying in the library. How long do you have left to stay?

I wasn't expecting to be living with these type of people. My flatmates last year were a lot more considerate.
I've tried earplugs, they don't help me.
I am friendly to them when I see them and I do spend most of my time out of the flat.
And I have to stay until the end of this University year.
Why don't you address this to them and if they don't do anything about it, then I would suggest you to move out and just let them know you don't have any hard feeling towards them. I personally wouldn't be happy so I would move out and try to find somewhere else with the people you get along with. Your education is important to you so do what's best for you...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending