The Student Room Group

flatmate being loud

My flatmate has decided to take up the hobby of opera singing, especially late at night. He isn’t very good, IS very loud (could hear him singing outside and I know someone who lives next to us and she said she could hear him when I mentioned it) and doesn’t actually sing the words (just la la la and making noises). We live in quiet accommodation so when he was singing at gone 10:30 the other night I asked him to be quiet and he refused and was quite rude about it (I sent a message on the gc asking for the music to be turned down, not naming him). He has since been regularly singing VERY loudly past 10:30 and 11 at night. Does anyone know what I can do? I feel like I might go insane if he doesn’t pack it in. There must be places on campus he can go to sing. Am I right in thinking it is inconsiderate to sing in such a loud manner in quiet accommodation?
Reply 1
Welcome to university accommodation.
You could always try bringing it up with him in a calm approachable way, I wouldn’t recommend reporting the noise yet as it will bring tension to your flat.

Surely you don’t have long left anyway given its nearly summer for universities.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
My flatmate has decided to take up the hobby of opera singing, especially late at night. He isn’t very good, IS very loud (could hear him singing outside and I know someone who lives next to us and she said she could hear him when I mentioned it) and doesn’t actually sing the words (just la la la and making noises). We live in quiet accommodation so when he was singing at gone 10:30 the other night I asked him to be quiet and he refused and was quite rude about it (I sent a message on the gc asking for the music to be turned down, not naming him). He has since been regularly singing VERY loudly past 10:30 and 11 at night. Does anyone know what I can do? I feel like I might go insane if he doesn’t pack it in. There must be places on campus he can go to sing. Am I right in thinking it is inconsiderate to sing in such a loud manner in quiet accommodation?

Either report him to the authorities. Or get an enormously muscular friend to threaten him. Or get up early at six o’clock and play loud music outside his door and bang on it. Every time he does it. Or see if you can buy arsenic.
Anon#1

Is he a music student? Even so, there must be music rooms where he can practise.

You could always try again or you could see if another flatmate will talk to him about it. If not, you definitely have to raise the matter with your student accommodation.

It is exam season for everyone! Everyone needs to be reasonable.

All the best,

Oluwatosin 2nd year student University of Huddersfield
Original post by Anonymous

Hi there!
Unfortunately, technically throughout the day he can do what he wants as he is paying the rent to live there. However, I will say most student accommodations have quiet hours where you have to lower the volume by a certain time. My advice is a polite, calm conversation at first. Let's be honest, he's probably going to be embarrassed because it's an awkward conversation to have but I can't imagine he'd continue it on so late if he knew you could hear his every word. It's not like he's just playing music. Definitely talk to him about it first and if he doesn't respect you coming to him in a polite way then you're well within your right to take it further such as contacting the accommodation with a noise complaint.

It completely depends on how much you value this flatmate as a friend. If you feel like you can have a calm conversation with him about it first and he'll respect you coming to him then that's definitely worth doing. He may know that a noise complaint has come from you after you have the conversation with him so it just depends if you're bothered about that. If more than yourself have noticed it then it's for sure something worth bringing up.

Hope this helped!
Lucy - Digital Student Ambassador SHU

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending