The Student Room Group

What ideal subjects should you choose to be a Charted Accountant?

My strongest point is Maths. I'm thinking Further Maths but I'm not sure what difference it is for A Level as i'm still doing my GCSEs. English is an ok subject for me but I don't want to do it for A Level. Chemistry is also a strong point for me in GCSE but not sure for A Level because apparently it is a big step. i'm thinking other subjects like ICT or something but I'm not sure if that's a good option as I'm not sure if it's a 'hard' subject. I looked for an Accounting degree at university and they want BCC. But will that degree make you a Charted Accountant?
Reply 1
Original post by Themathsgenious
My strongest point is Maths. I'm thinking Further Maths but I'm not sure what difference it is for A Level as i'm still doing my GCSEs. English is an ok subject for me but I don't want to do it for A Level. Chemistry is also a strong point for me in GCSE but not sure for A Level because apparently it is a big step. i'm thinking other subjects like ICT or something but I'm not sure if that's a good option as I'm not sure if it's a 'hard' subject. I looked for an Accounting degree at university and they want BCC. But will that degree make you a Charted Accountant?

An accounting degree by itself will not make you a Chartered Accountant but may assist your progress. There are different accountancy institutes within the UK that lead to chartered status for example, ICAEW, ICAS. You really want to look at their websites and see the pathways offered.
(edited 9 years ago)
Cant help you with subjects, but the degree will not make you a chartered accountant. You will need to complete a 3 year training contract (where you will study towards a professional qualification) afterwards in order to qualify as a chartered accountant. Alternatively, you could go into the profession straight from school and qualify that way. Your training contract will be 5 years (may be less with some firms but there's no real advantage in that as you need 7 years practical experience to become a statutory auditor, 5 if you have a degree which includes 2 years post qualified experience). One important thing to note is although the degree may only required BCC, you may struggle to get a training contract with those grades. The 'Big 4' require 300-340 UCAS points depending on service line and you really want to be qualifying with these firms as each one is bigger than every other accounting firm in the world (Deloitte and PwC are even bigger still) and therefore give your CV so much weight in comparison to small firms when applying for jobs post qualification.
If you're definitely wanting to go to university, it's a good idea to choose a university that gives exemptions from professional qualifications. This basically means you have to do fewer exams at the end of your degree to become a charted account. However, to get into unis that allow exemptions, there is a minimum grade of around AAB, though you may be able to find lower ones. In terms of subjects, maths is a given and further maths is a good idea as long as you're passionate about maths, because you'll be doing a lot of it! Chemistry is a hard a level, but if you want to do it, then it's a well thought-of ALevel and certainly isn't a bad subject to choose.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending