The Student Room Group

Picking my a level subjects

Hey, it's almost time for me to pick my a level subjects. I'm definitely doing maths for A level but i'm not sure what else to choose so please help. I'm thinking of doing accounting and finance at LSE but that is not 100% so I still want more options if I change my mind.

Subjects I was considering include:
-Accounting
-Biology
-Economics
-Psychology

Any other subject recs please let me know!
Reply 1
Your choices are good.

If you really want to have the most degree options available for you when you apply i would change accounting or psychology to maths or another science. But that's just me being extra. Your options are good
Original post by 3908
Your choices are good.

If you really want to have the most degree options available for you when you apply i would change accounting or psychology to maths or another science. But that's just me being extra. Your options are good

If I took maths, biology, psychology and accounting, do you think those are good? I could drop one at AS maybe?
Original post by theatrical-arche
Hey, it's almost time for me to pick my a level subjects. I'm definitely doing maths for A level but i'm not sure what else to choose so please help. I'm thinking of doing accounting and finance at LSE but that is not 100% so I still want more options if I change my mind.

Subjects I was considering include:
-Accounting
-Biology
-Economics
-Psychology

Any other subject recs please let me know!

Your subject choices are a bit random. Whilst you should only need maths + 2 other A Levels in any subject to do A&F at LSE, ideally you want a bit more focus.

Questions that pop in my mind are:

What other careers are you considering? - if they require a degree, then you would prioritise doing subjects that cater to the degree requirement

Why do you have a thing for biology and psychology? Do you want to keep your options open for healthcare or life sciences? If so, which subjects or careers?

What are your general interests? - might be able to pick out more subjects than those listed

Are the above subjects the subjects you are able to do well in, you think you have the most interest in, or you think are the most 'helpful' in your degree?

Why are do you want more options if you change your mind? LSE is very difficult to get into, so your personal statement needs to be absolutely stellar

Why do you want to do an accounting degree when you won't need it to get into accounting? Do you intend to go into academic research in accounting? Likewise with finance, you don't need a degree in it to get into finance unless you want to go into academic research

Considering it's LSE, why aren't you considering doing further maths?

From the sound of things, you like maths. In which case, why do you want to go into accounting, which doesn't require you to know a lot of maths?

Why do you specifically want to go into accounting or finance? If it's because you want to do something quantiative, you mgith be a bit disappointed (unless you're going into research of course)

General comments:
Accounting - generally doesn't offer much as an A Level; usually helps with the degree, but doesn't help with the professional qualifications
Economics - generally goes well with maths, but it's not needed for degrees
Biology - generally a required subject in pretty much all subjects in life sciences. Chemistry would be the best complement to this subject. However, Biology also isn't particularly mathematical and require you to memorise more than you understand.
Psychology - generally not a required subject for psychology degrees or anything related to psychology (some unis might be picky with some courses, but you can meet the same entry requirements with biology alone).

Maths is considered a science by a number of universities, so if there is a healthcare or life science related course where it doesn't specifically require chemistry (just 2 sciences), you're more than covered with biology. Also, biology and maths tend to be required for bioengineering degrees, but I think they tend to ask for maths more than biology (it's an engineering degree).

General subjects that tend to go well with maths include: chemistry, physics, computer science, economics, further maths. Of these, physics is probably the best subject to study right after further maths. Required subjects from this list would include chemistry, physics, and further maths.
Having said this, none of this is relevant if your desired alternative degrees required something else entirely.

If you can answer the questions above, I would be able to help out a lot more.
Original post by MindMax2000
Your subject choices are a bit random. Whilst you should only need maths + 2 other A Levels in any subject to do A&F at LSE, ideally you want a bit more focus.

Questions that pop in my mind are:

What other careers are you considering? - if they require a degree, then you would prioritise doing subjects that cater to the degree requirement

Why do you have a thing for biology and psychology? Do you want to keep your options open for healthcare or life sciences? If so, which subjects or careers?

What are your general interests? - might be able to pick out more subjects than those listed

Are the above subjects the subjects you are able to do well in, you think you have the most interest in, or you think are the most 'helpful' in your degree?

Why are do you want more options if you change your mind? LSE is very difficult to get into, so your personal statement needs to be absolutely stellar

Why do you want to do an accounting degree when you won't need it to get into accounting? Do you intend to go into academic research in accounting? Likewise with finance, you don't need a degree in it to get into finance unless you want to go into academic research

Considering it's LSE, why aren't you considering doing further maths?

From the sound of things, you like maths. In which case, why do you want to go into accounting, which doesn't require you to know a lot of maths?

Why do you specifically want to go into accounting or finance? If it's because you want to do something quantiative, you mgith be a bit disappointed (unless you're going into research of course)

General comments:
Accounting - generally doesn't offer much as an A Level; usually helps with the degree, but doesn't help with the professional qualifications
Economics - generally goes well with maths, but it's not needed for degrees
Biology - generally a required subject in pretty much all subjects in life sciences. Chemistry would be the best complement to this subject. However, Biology also isn't particularly mathematical and require you to memorise more than you understand.
Psychology - generally not a required subject for psychology degrees or anything related to psychology (some unis might be picky with some courses, but you can meet the same entry requirements with biology alone).

Maths is considered a science by a number of universities, so if there is a healthcare or life science related course where it doesn't specifically require chemistry (just 2 sciences), you're more than covered with biology. Also, biology and maths tend to be required for bioengineering degrees, but I think they tend to ask for maths more than biology (it's an engineering degree).

General subjects that tend to go well with maths include: chemistry, physics, computer science, economics, further maths. Of these, physics is probably the best subject to study right after further maths. Required subjects from this list would include chemistry, physics, and further maths.
Having said this, none of this is relevant if your desired alternative degrees required something else entirely.

If you can answer the questions above, I would be able to help out a lot more.

Thankyou, yeah this might seem really random but I was going to go into the accounting and finance / business marketing route. Something on the opposite scale though would be dentistry. I really just want to keep my options open and overall I do find maths and biology really interesting as well as the fact they can open up quite a lot of degree options.

If you have any more maths related degrees I would really appreciate them since accounting was really the only thing I had seen that looked interesting. I know I could also take an apprenticeship in this and eventually become a chartered accountant.

In terms of subjects that I enjoy, I would say maths or maths based subjects, biology, as well as creative subjects too. I take history and spanish at GCSE but I don't think I would take them further than that. When I researched different universities, most suggested subjects that would be preferred for any degree to show analytical and writing skills. I know psychology and economics are essay based and relate to biology and maths.
I was considering taking further maths as a 4th a level but I didn't know if it would be too much for me to handle for a levels.

I would just really like any help on suggested degrees if you have any please.
Thankyou, yeah this might seem really random but I was going to go into the accounting and finance / business marketing route. Something on the opposite scale though would be dentistry. I really just want to keep my options open and overall I do find maths and biology really interesting as well as the fact they can open up quite a lot of degree options.

If you have any more maths related degrees I would really appreciate them since accounting was really the only thing I had seen that looked interesting. I know I could also take an apprenticeship in this and eventually become a chartered accountant.

In terms of subjects that I enjoy, I would say maths or maths based subjects, biology, as well as creative subjects too. I take history and spanish at GCSE but I don't think I would take them further than that. When I researched different universities, most suggested subjects that would be preferred for any degree to show analytical and writing skills. I know psychology and economics are essay based and relate to biology and maths.
I was considering taking further maths as a 4th a level but I didn't know if it would be too much for me to handle for a levels.

I would just really like any help on suggested degrees if you have any please.

I was going to go into the accounting and finance / business marketing route.
Personally, I would go for the professional certifications right after uni, but you can still go into these roles with an undergrad in any subject.
If you want to go back into these subjects at postgrad (you would never need to unless you want to go into research and you don't have a relevant undergrad), then you generally can with an undergrad in any subject (with finance, business analytics, and actuarial science, you might want a quantiative undergrad, but generally otherwise you're fine).

Something on the opposite scale though would be dentistry. I really just want to keep my options open and overall I do find maths and biology really interesting as well as the fact they can open up quite a lot of degree options.
Yep, then tend to open a lot of doors. If you want to leave your options open to all aspects of life sciences and healthcare, then I would recommend Maths, Biology, and Chemistry. Chemistry is often asked alongside Biology for life science degrees, including dentistry (see: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-become-a-dentist).
Having said that, for a number of life science degrees, maths is considered a science so you're still able to do some life science degrees without chemistry. See: https://www.mathscareers.org.uk/degree-courses-a-level-mathematics/ under "Degree Choices where A-level Mathematics can make up one of an essential combination of subjects".

If you have any more maths related degrees I would really appreciate them since accounting was really the only thing I had seen that looked interesting.
If you like A Level Maths and looking for something that builds on that, then I think you would find accounting boring. Accounting generally doesn't use that much advanced maths (it's straightforward arithmetic; you'll be lucky to even use linear programming or hypothesis testing).
The more quantitative degrees include:

Finance, financial mathematics, financial engineering, and actuarial science

Economics (quantitative degrees)

Engineering

Maths and stats

Physics

Computer science and software engineering

Biological mathematics/bioinformatics (need to be careful with this as some degrees aren't really mathematical)

If you're set on maths based degrees, then it's difficult to go wrong with engineering, maths, and physics. Having said that, these are really going to challenge you.

In terms of using maths in practice, you rarely get the opportunity to use advanced maths at all since most calculations are done via computer. Should you wish to pursue this, you're likely going to be looking at theoretical subjects.
Having said that, a degree in engineering, maths, or physics would likely open you to all of the above subjects at postgrad level or in job roles (except possibly for academic research in economics but you can do conversion courses for that at postgrad level).

I know I could also take an apprenticeship in this and eventually become a chartered accountant.
You can also participate in grad schemes for accounting roles, but they generally accept anyone with a degree so long the A Level grades and degree grade are high enough. But yeah, you can usually go straight in with an apprenticeship or work your way up.

In terms of subjects that I enjoy, I would say maths or maths based subjects, biology, as well as creative subjects too
Creative subjects as in the arts? English Lit, music, art and design, drama? If so, literature and art and design tend to be semi-required subjects. Music is a required subject. These tend to take up a lot of time, but if you enjoy them, great.
I once came across a person who did Maths, FM, Physics, and Music, and decided to throw a curve ball and ended up doing a music degree.

When I researched different universities, most suggested subjects that would be preferred for any degree to show analytical and writing skills.
I think this depends more on the specific subject that you want to study. If they're looking for a well rounded candidate, then you want subjects of different nature e.g. maths, biology, English Lit.
For some subjects, they tend to be very specific about which subjects you have and choose in doing. For a lot of economics degrees at LSE for example, they would ask for Maths and Further Maths if offered, focusing on the more analytical subjects.

I know psychology and economics are essay based and relate to biology and maths
Yeah, if you mean respectively. (You would really struggle to find any perplexing maths in psychology, and whilst you can apply economics to some aspects of biology there's usually not a lot of it.)

I was considering taking further maths as a 4th a level but I didn't know if it would be too much for me to handle for a levels
It's a lot of maths (even I do FM myself), and you often don't need it. However, for competitive courses at high end unis, they tend to make it a required subject where it's available. Do note, on some courses where they are asking for a well rounded candidate, Maths and FM might be considered too similar of subjects (even though I can definitely say they're not) and they might end up counting them as one subject instead of 2.
People have done 4 A Levels before, but I can say it's a lot to take on. I would personally consider spending at least 10 hours a week on each A Level (including lesson time), so if you consider 40 hours a week too much then cut back.
The other thing to bear in mind is that you always have the option to drop the subject by the end of your first year/Year 12 should you wish. However, it can mean you are likely going to be rejected for some quantiative degrees at top end unis. It's up to you.

Personal recommendation would be: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, FM. If you don't like chemistry, then you might limit yourself to some life science degrees.
I was going to go into the accounting and finance / business marketing route.
Personally, I would go for the professional certifications right after uni, but you can still go into these roles with an undergrad in any subject.
If you want to go back into these subjects at postgrad (you would never need to unless you want to go into research and you don't have a relevant undergrad), then you generally can with an undergrad in any subject (with finance, business analytics, and actuarial science, you might want a quantiative undergrad, but generally otherwise you're fine).

Something on the opposite scale though would be dentistry. I really just want to keep my options open and overall I do find maths and biology really interesting as well as the fact they can open up quite a lot of degree options.
Yep, then tend to open a lot of doors. If you want to leave your options open to all aspects of life sciences and healthcare, then I would recommend Maths, Biology, and Chemistry. Chemistry is often asked alongside Biology for life science degrees, including dentistry (see: https://www.theuniguide.co.uk/advice/a-level-choices/what-a-levels-do-you-need-to-become-a-dentist).
Having said that, for a number of life science degrees, maths is considered a science so you're still able to do some life science degrees without chemistry. See: https://www.mathscareers.org.uk/degree-courses-a-level-mathematics/ under "Degree Choices where A-level Mathematics can make up one of an essential combination of subjects".

If you have any more maths related degrees I would really appreciate them since accounting was really the only thing I had seen that looked interesting.
If you like A Level Maths and looking for something that builds on that, then I think you would find accounting boring. Accounting generally doesn't use that much advanced maths (it's straightforward arithmetic; you'll be lucky to even use linear programming or hypothesis testing).
The more quantitative degrees include:

Finance, financial mathematics, financial engineering, and actuarial science

Economics (quantitative degrees)

Engineering

Maths and stats

Physics

Computer science and software engineering

Biological mathematics/bioinformatics (need to be careful with this as some degrees aren't really mathematical)

If you're set on maths based degrees, then it's difficult to go wrong with engineering, maths, and physics. Having said that, these are really going to challenge you.

In terms of using maths in practice, you rarely get the opportunity to use advanced maths at all since most calculations are done via computer. Should you wish to pursue this, you're likely going to be looking at theoretical subjects.
Having said that, a degree in engineering, maths, or physics would likely open you to all of the above subjects at postgrad level or in job roles (except possibly for academic research in economics but you can do conversion courses for that at postgrad level).

I know I could also take an apprenticeship in this and eventually become a chartered accountant.
You can also participate in grad schemes for accounting roles, but they generally accept anyone with a degree so long the A Level grades and degree grade are high enough. But yeah, you can usually go straight in with an apprenticeship or work your way up.

In terms of subjects that I enjoy, I would say maths or maths based subjects, biology, as well as creative subjects too
Creative subjects as in the arts? English Lit, music, art and design, drama? If so, literature and art and design tend to be semi-required subjects. Music is a required subject. These tend to take up a lot of time, but if you enjoy them, great.
I once came across a person who did Maths, FM, Physics, and Music, and decided to throw a curve ball and ended up doing a music degree.

When I researched different universities, most suggested subjects that would be preferred for any degree to show analytical and writing skills.
I think this depends more on the specific subject that you want to study. If they're looking for a well rounded candidate, then you want subjects of different nature e.g. maths, biology, English Lit.
For some subjects, they tend to be very specific about which subjects you have and choose in doing. For a lot of economics degrees at LSE for example, they would ask for Maths and Further Maths if offered, focusing on the more analytical subjects.

I know psychology and economics are essay based and relate to biology and maths
Yeah, if you mean respectively. (You would really struggle to find any perplexing maths in psychology, and whilst you can apply economics to some aspects of biology there's usually not a lot of it.)

I was considering taking further maths as a 4th a level but I didn't know if it would be too much for me to handle for a levels
It's a lot of maths (even I do FM myself), and you often don't need it. However, for competitive courses at high end unis, they tend to make it a required subject where it's available. Do note, on some courses where they are asking for a well rounded candidate, Maths and FM might be considered too similar of subjects (even though I can definitely say they're not) and they might end up counting them as one subject instead of 2.
People have done 4 A Levels before, but I can say it's a lot to take on. I would personally consider spending at least 10 hours a week on each A Level (including lesson time), so if you consider 40 hours a week too much then cut back.
The other thing to bear in mind is that you always have the option to drop the subject by the end of your first year/Year 12 should you wish. However, it can mean you are likely going to be rejected for some quantiative degrees at top end unis. It's up to you.

Personal recommendation would be: Maths, Biology, Chemistry, FM. If you don't like chemistry, then you might limit yourself to some life science degrees.

Thankyou so much! Yeah at GCSE I don't really enjoy chemistry but i'd say i'm relatively good at it. If I wasn't to choose chemistry, could I possibly still do accounting instead or would you still recommend chemistry?
Thankyou so much! Yeah at GCSE I don't really enjoy chemistry but i'd say i'm relatively good at it. If I wasn't to choose chemistry, could I possibly still do accounting instead or would you still recommend chemistry?

You can do accounting degrees generally with any 3 A Levels. This can be as random as French, Physics, and Philosophy. The important thing is generally the grades. The only time when you should be careful with your subject choices is when you want to do a quantitative joint finance degree (such as that from LSE, Warwick, Bath, Bristol), then you need A Level Maths. Any other subjects is up to you.

Should you want to do A Level Accounting, you are going to be limiting your options in life sciences. However, that's up to you.

Chemistry A Level isn't particularly easy, but it does open a number of doors in terms of degrees. Particularly in the first year, people who got high grades at GCSE can feel really deflated despite their grades. Unless you're particularly interested in Chemistry and really want to peservere, then it's difficult to get a high grade in it. If you're fine with this, feel free to give it a skip.
You can do accounting degrees generally with any 3 A Levels. This can be as random as French, Physics, and Philosophy. The important thing is generally the grades. The only time when you should be careful with your subject choices is when you want to do a quantitative joint finance degree (such as that from LSE, Warwick, Bath, Bristol), then you need A Level Maths. Any other subjects is up to you.

Should you want to do A Level Accounting, you are going to be limiting your options in life sciences. However, that's up to you.

Chemistry A Level isn't particularly easy, but it does open a number of doors in terms of degrees. Particularly in the first year, people who got high grades at GCSE can feel really deflated despite their grades. Unless you're particularly interested in Chemistry and really want to peservere, then it's difficult to get a high grade in it. If you're fine with this, feel free to give it a skip.

Thankyou so much for your help!!

Quick Reply

Latest