The Student Room Group

Are you good at planning and organisation

Do you find you can attend all your lectures, tutorials, lab classes on top of going through your lecture notes week by week, keeping on top of all your assignments and courseworks and take part in extra curricular activities?
i missed 1 lecture this week, my notes for 2/4 subjects are up to date and my coursework is half done. im not doing too bad but ive started a strict study regimen to get back on track :smile:
Original post by Ybsy75
Do you find you can attend all your lectures, tutorials, lab classes on top of going through your lecture notes week by week, keeping on top of all your assignments and courseworks and take part in extra curricular activities?

Yes I am really quite organised. I've attended all my lectures... I don't really have to go through my lecture notes unless I'm covering that topic for my assessments so it depends. I start my essays weeks in advance (one I started two months ahead because I had so many) so that is never really an issue. My ECs are student support based so whenever I am needed so its flexible.
Reply 3
Original post by EloiseStar
Yes I am really quite organised. I've attended all my lectures... I don't really have to go through my lecture notes unless I'm covering that topic for my assessments so it depends. I start my essays weeks in advance (one I started two months ahead because I had so many) so that is never really an issue. My ECs are student support based so whenever I am needed so its flexible.

What course?
Original post by Ybsy75
What course?

History joint honours social sciences.
I wish I had more assignments because I always start those as soon as I get home but instead the majority of my modules are assessed by exams in the summer. I'm not very good at going to lectures though, I've skipped around two this week and all of them the week before but I still keep up it's just that I commute so having to leave for 9am lectures which are posted online and I have good resources for is difficult. I've been slacking a bit this week because I had no laptop for a whole week and trying to use an iPad was just a waste of time lol. But today I've gone over two of my modules so far (three to go).
Mathematics:
I attend all of my lectures.
I attend all problem classes (except for one module because I didn't find the ones for that module useful, and the solutions were all posted online)

I don't attend all drop-ins (because they are meant for you to go if you have questions)
I don't attend all computer classes (for one of my modules they are 5-6 and I didn't think they were useful enough to justify spending the extra hour in uni when I have already had 5 hours of lectures and started at 9!)

I don't have the time to go through my lecture notes each week.
I keep on top of my assignments though - they are normally finished 3 days or so before the deadline.

I don't really do much extra activities. I sometimes write for the newspaper, but that's not a set thing I have to do every week. I do have a part time job though for 11 hours on a Saturday!
Reply 7
So do many people bother with extra curricular in their final year? And at what point do you say it starts interfering with your academic stuff, possibly compromising your grades.
Original post by LeaX
I wish I had more assignments because I always start those as soon as I get home but instead the majority of my modules are assessed by exams in the summer. I'm not very good at going to lectures though, I've skipped around two this week and all of them the week before but I still keep up it's just that I commute so having to leave for 9am lectures which are posted online and I have good resources for is difficult. I've been slacking a bit this week because I had no laptop for a whole week and trying to use an iPad was just a waste of time lol. But today I've gone over two of my modules so far (three to go).

Im in the same boat as you, i think i missed every lecture last week because i commute and i don't really learn anything in lectures, i can sit down and read a book and learn more from it than i ever would in a lecture plus all the lectures are posted online.
What year are you in and what are you studying?
Do you prefer working consistently every day (kind of like a marathon runner) or do you work in short intense bursts, not doing much work for many weeks and then spending like a week doing everything?
Original post by Anonymous263
Im in the same boat as you, i think i missed every lecture last week because i commute and i don't really learn anything in lectures, i can sit down and read a book and learn more from it than i ever would in a lecture plus all the lectures are posted online.
What year are you in and what are you studying?
Do you prefer working consistently every day (kind of like a marathon runner) or do you work in short intense bursts, not doing much work for many weeks and then spending like a week doing everything?

Glad I'm not the only one lol, sometimes I feel guilty for it but oh well. I'm a first year Psychology student but also taking some Biology modules, what about you?

I make sure that I do a bit of work each day so in that way I'm consistent, but sometimes I'm just not feeling it so I'll do the bare minimum. Other times I get really stuck in and work for the whole day.
Original post by LeaX
Glad I'm not the only one lol, sometimes I feel guilty for it but oh well. I'm a first year Psychology student but also taking some Biology modules, what about you?

I make sure that I do a bit of work each day so in that way I'm consistent, but sometimes I'm just not feeling it so I'll do the bare minimum. Other times I get really stuck in and work for the whole day.

Im first year doing biological sciences.
Im mostly doing an assignment and playing catch up, but yeah thats a great idea, ill probably do that after the christmas holidays once i've finished all of my assignments and caught up. Fun :/
Second Year Graphics & Multimedia.

Last year I organised the 4 weeks before deadlines. This year I'm getting the majority of stuff out the way and leaving the final products to Christmas.

My deadlines are during January & April. :P
Original post by Anonymous263
Im first year doing biological sciences.
Im mostly doing an assignment and playing catch up, but yeah thats a great idea, ill probably do that after the christmas holidays once i've finished all of my assignments and caught up. Fun :/

Ah I'm jealous, I wish I had picked Biology. I'm hoping to switch to it next year. Yeah I'm going to spend Christmas going through everything too. :smile:
Original post by LeaX
Ah I'm jealous, I wish I had picked Biology. I'm hoping to switch to it next year. Yeah I'm going to spend Christmas going through everything too. :smile:

How many lectures have you actually missed? I went to every lecture the first week and since then it has been downhill for me :P
Reply 14
Do you bother taking a break for lunch?
I've been missing a few lectures lately.. But that's because I'm commuting from home and waking up at ridiculous times

As for the work and lecture notes.. I don't really take many lecture notes but this year I'm just treating as a little bit of a breather.. It doesn't count towards my final grade so I'll only be aiming for 2:2/2:1.. In the final 2 years I will be taking notes and getting more serious

I have a few essays due in soon.. But I'll be getting on with those next week!

Does anyone find the first year uninteresting.. Or is it just me? :hmmmm:
I am a third year student and I think you can approach it from two ways - either just get through the first year with a pass (and I know it doesn't count towards the last year in terms of grades but its the knowledge you are gaining really). Secondly you can get to grips with your study skills in the first year so that when the pressure mounts up, and it will, you can get yourself organised and get the work done to meet deadlines.

If you are struggling to get to lectures due to a commute why not ask for things to be scheduled later - you are probably not alone with this as some people in my class arrive late due to traffic - or ask to have a tutorial with the unit leader and go from there.

Its hard to know what to do for the best but it's your degree and you can make it happen how you want it to. I think its important to plan for time out as well as time with the books - then you get a good balance.

Tricky stuff. Mish :smile:
Economics.

My course is end of year exam intensive. Basically all I do is turn up to lectures and tutorials, take a few notes, play about on my phone, chat to mates. I rarely do the assignments that are set. The problem is: if I do the assignment, then turning up to the tutorial where they go over answers is pointless. Or I can't do the assignment at all, which is just annoying - and I'll get the answers in tutorials anyway. Fortunately for economics you barely have to do any reading or lab work, so you can spend most of the year not working too hard.

The main thing I do is revise very hard at the end of the year.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending