The Student Room Group

How can I *ACTUALLY* get good grades at uni?

How to get the best grades at uni revision and productivity hacks

Student life can be a whirlwind of an experience from studying to social life, there can be a lot going on. But in the midst of it all, here are a few tips and tricks to help you become even more efficient and make the most of your study sessions so that you retain information and get the grades you really want.

Tip 1: Get organised

You’ll most likely be taking multiple modules at once so it’s always a good idea to have an overview of everything that will need your time so you’re able to get organised and avoid surprises that could throw you off. You could try using a diary, an online calendar or an app like Notion to keep track of your priorities and deadlines.

Tip 2: Plan your time

Planning your time and what work you want to get done means you’ll be more likely to do everything you need to without getting stressed. Try creating smaller, manageable deadlines for yourself and allocating set times to work on specific tasks.

Tip 3: Managing procrastination

We all procrastinate tasks we don’t feel like doing. Procrastinating constantly can really get in the way of getting good grades, as you end up having to sacrifice on quality because you’re running out of time. One method to minimise procrastination is by giving yourself a list of easier tasks to do first. Instead of feeling pressure from a large looming project, try to get some of the easier tasks on your list done like replying to emails and organising your notes. Sometimes, a change in plan is inevitable but try to be intentional about rescheduling and prioritise making time to do any work you had to postpone.

Tip 4: Don’t do everything all at once!

Trying to cram everything you need to do or study into a very short period of time can feel overwhelming. Instead, give yourself enough time to get your work done without the stress of a looming deadline, so that you’re able to produce your best quality work.

Bonus tip: Try the pomodoro technique This technique helps you stay focused and avoid feeling burnout out by breaking up your study session into smaller intervals. You’d usually study for 25 minutes and then take a short 5 minute break. We’d recommend taking a longer break (around 15-30 minutes) after repeating this cycle 4 times.

Whether you’re studying a hands on course like photography or print-making, or something more theoretical, like history, we hope you find these tips helpful!

We’d love to know your favourite study tips! Let us know below

Best of luck with your studies,
Judith
Original post by University of the Arts London

Student life can be a whirlwind of an experience from studying to social life, there can be a lot going on. But in the midst of it all, here are a few tips and tricks to help you become even more efficient and make the most of your study sessions so that you retain information and get the grades you really want.

You’ll most likely be taking multiple modules at once so it’s always a good idea to have an overview of everything that will need your time so you’re able to get organised and avoid surprises that could throw you off. You could try using a diary, an online calendar or an app like Notion to keep track of your priorities and deadlines.

Planning your time and what work you want to get done means you’ll be more likely to do everything you need to without getting stressed. Try creating smaller, manageable deadlines for yourself and allocating set times to work on specific tasks.

We all procrastinate tasks we don’t feel like doing. Procrastinating constantly can really get in the way of getting good grades, as you end up having to sacrifice on quality because you’re running out of time. One method to minimise procrastination is by giving yourself a list of easier tasks to do first. Instead of feeling pressure from a large looming project, try to get some of the easier tasks on your list done like replying to emails and organising your notes. Sometimes, a change in plan is inevitable but try to be intentional about rescheduling and prioritise making time to do any work you had to postpone.

Trying to cram everything you need to do or study into a very short period of time can feel overwhelming. Instead, give yourself enough time to get your work done without the stress of a looming deadline, so that you’re able to produce your best quality work.

Bonus tip: Try the pomodoro technique This technique helps you stay focused and avoid feeling burnout out by breaking up your study session into smaller intervals. You’d usually study for 25 minutes and then take a short 5 minute break. We’d recommend taking a longer break (around 15-30 minutes) after repeating this cycle 4 times.

Whether you’re studying a hands on course like photography or print-making, or something more theoretical, like history, we hope you find these tips helpful!

Judith

Hi there! I love all of these tips they're so helpful!

For me personally, I procrastinate and struggle to concentrate when I am surrounded by distractions or in my room at home. I work best when I separate my work and home life so tend to spend most of my study time in the uni library, specifically on the silent floor where I have no one talking to me. This might be some people's worst nightmare but you have to find what study environment works best for you because we are all different :smile:

When I have to try and revise info through memory recall, I find that explaining something aloud in the style of teaching something else is very useful. I find that it causes me to break things down more and consider things more deeply than I would have done if I'd just created flashcards for example. It really highlights gaps in your knowledge which you can work on for the future.

I also have been using apps which give incentives to stop being tempted to go on your phone all the time. I constantly have the urge to stop what I'm doing and go on my phone but I downloaded this app called Forest where I can grow a tree within a set time but if I go elsewhere on my phone, the tree will die :frown: Some how this technique helps me to minimise the impulse of having a phone break before I planned it.

These tips probably won't work for a lot of people but just show how everyone is different and works in various ways which is okay. You might have a slightly weird approach to studying but embrace it if it works!

Good luck with your studies everyone! Looking forward to other responses on the topic :smile:

Rachel- York St John student rep
Original post by University of the Arts London

Judith

could you do one for A Levels :smile:?
Original post by emm4nuella
could you do one for A Levels :smile:?

Hi there,

Absolutely! Keep an eye out and i'll see what I can do :smile:

In the meantime, you should be able to apply the same advice and tips to your A Level studies. For example, instead of having multiple modules to think about, you will be studying multiple subjects, so it's equally important to plan your time across each of these subjects appropriately.

Best of luck!
Georgia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending