The Student Room Group
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast

QUB/Magee Nursing 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rosiemac92
I really hope so Aoife. Fingers crossed for you. I know you were saying you've applied down south but so at least you have that. You obviously have the academic requirements to get into queens already if you got an interview so if you don't get anywhere I don't think there's any need for you to jump into an access course.

I took a year out this year because I've a baby and my old tutors told me to do short courses instead that it would make my application stand out... So I've done phlebotomy, palliative care, and a care of diabetes course. I do already have health science as well as quite a strong leaving certificate.

But I'm just thinking an access course might not make a huge difference if you have your fetac and a leaving cert, queens are already happy enough with your academic qualifications if you got an interview.

Just an idea though.... It's obviously up to yourself. You might still get in yet :smile:

I also have a degree. Maybe i jus rehearsed my answers too much.
I might jus need more experience it's hard to know

Posted from TSR Mobile
Graduation garden party, Queen's University Belfast
Queen's University Belfast
Original post by deviant182
Just to give a little help to people in regards to what they are looking for...
Although plenty of people talk about the 6 c's of nursing etc...
They are looking for the all round qualities of a nurse. What embodies a nurse? What is it you think a nurse is / should be? And try to convey this across. They look for parts of your personality and how you can demonstrate this. How you come across in interview matters a lot. And they can immediately tell when people have rehearsed answers and are saying just what they think will get them points to pass the interview.
Interviews are continually changing even if the questions do not vary that much, as the course is becoming more and more competitive each year.
It is difficult and don't give up if you didn't get in please! The NHS needs great nurses :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I agree and although I only have experience of Magee and QUB interviews, I definitely found that QUB where assessing me as a person and who I came across. When I went to the tour at queens the lady told us to show how passionate we were to become nurses. She made the point of saying it's only 20mins of your life and do you should give it everything to show how much u want it. That kind of stuck with me...it was obviously a very important aspect they where looking for

Posted from TSR Mobile
If I'm honest I talked about the exact same stuff in both my queens and magee interview and only got an offer for magee so god knows how much queens wanted
Deviant, that's very true.. I think, on reflection, that was maybe where I failed.. I knew in my head what a qualities a nurse needs, and how I feel I have them, but I don't think i got it across very well :-/ I feel of all the questions, it was the most important, but I may have not given it as much as I did my other answers.. Lesson learnt here!

Gareth.. Thats gonna stuck with me too now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Tigerjack1010
Deviant, that's very true.. I think, on reflection, that was maybe where I failed.. I knew in my head what a qualities a nurse needs, and how I feel I have them, but I don't think i got it across very well :-/ I feel of all the questions, it was the most important, but I may have not given it as much as I did my other answers.. Lesson learnt here!

Gareth.. Thats gonna stuck with me too now :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lol rough night... Say no more!!!😂😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1385
Anyone for feb 2016 intake at queens for adult nursing?:smile:
Anyone know if there's a fb page for queens adult nursing September intake?
Is everyone going to this info day on Saturday?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by JemmG
Anyone for feb 2016 intake at queens for adult nursing?:smile:

Yep, me! :biggrin: Is it far too early to make a page?
there already is a feb fb page and i think it has like 160 odd members just type in QUB Nursing adult and it should pop up
Reply 1390
Is anyone going to do a adult fb page for sept 2015
Original post by Papo1489
there already is a feb fb page and i think it has like 160 odd members just type in QUB Nursing adult and it should pop up

I think it's this years intake one. Also, Papo, you seem like a guy that knows the score, do prospective students apply for a bursary before or after or nearer the time they start? Just incase I've missed out on info somewhere.
Also just occurred to me I've assumed you are a man. I do apologise profusely if this is not the case.
*Takes foot out of mouth*
Awkward.
Reply 1393
Original post by Chloelou13
Is everyone going to this info day on Saturday?:smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yep I b going down on sat ta info day really looking forward ta it..just seems surreal don't think it actually hit me ta I put on that uniform lol
Original post by LtRipley11
I think it's this years intake one. Also, Papo, you seem like a guy that knows the score, do prospective students apply for a bursary before or after or nearer the time they start? Just incase I've missed out on info somewhere.

Hey!
For prospective students, Queens have already issued advice on their Facebook page....
But they will send out in for regarding bursaries, occupational health etc in due course. So all you have to do is sit and wait for post. If they ask you to fill in anything etc, get it done ASAP and send it back.
You will need a passport photo though for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hey!
For prospective students, Queens have already issued advice on their Facebook page....
But they will send out in for regarding bursaries, occupational health etc in due course. So all you have to do is sit and wait for post. If they ask you to fill in anything etc, get it done ASAP and send it back.
You will need a passport photo though for them!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Aw thanks for that deviant. Hopefully something for waiting list comes in the post. I do hav backup options. If this year ain't my year I'm gonna become a hca for the year and get more experience. Or do dental nursing for 2 years and apply again.
Keeping my options open.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AoifeBass93
Aw thanks for that deviant. Hopefully something for waiting list comes in the post. I do hav backup options. If this year ain't my year I'm gonna become a hca for the year and get more experience. Or do dental nursing for 2 years and apply again.
Keeping my options open.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No problem!
It's good to do something with your time if you don't. Short courses or even a longer one that will aid your skills in becoming a nurse will help.
The more experience the better I'd say! Every little helps and it's amazing how much you change as a person year in year, especially if you are getting that experience.
Fingers crossed for you!
It's literally waiting on post and maybe the odd email now until Sept.
They wait for offers to come out in Aug to see who's met them and who hasn't. Then they look at who's accepted and who hasnt and then who will be on the reserve list etc.
It's unfortunately one big waiting game.

Posted from TSR Mobile
No problem!
It's good to do something with your time if you don't. Short courses or even a longer one that will aid your skills in becoming a nurse will help.
The more experience the better I'd say! Every little helps and it's amazing how much you change as a person year in year, especially if you are getting that experience.
Fingers crossed for you!
It's literally waiting on post and maybe the odd email now until Sept.
They wait for offers to come out in Aug to see who's met them and who hasn't. Then they look at who's accepted and who hasnt and then who will be on the reserve list etc.
It's unfortunately one big waiting game.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ha I will be used to the waiting around lol. The cao(Irish equivalent) comes out in August too.
I'm still waiting for feedback.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1398
Original post by Cee25
Yep I b going down on sat ta info day really looking forward ta it..just seems surreal don't think it actually hit me ta I put on that uniform lol

Hi tell me if I'm wrong didn't you make reserve last yr like myself
Original post by LtRipley11

Yes i'm a guy lol, like deviant said Queen's send out information to them in september and they contact us about it. I asked a girl about it a few pages back in this thread and she said we get around £430 a month, but take away bills and rent and that isn't a lot. I'm getting most of my information of the QUB fb page and this thread, any other questions you have i'm sure you can find here are there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending