The Student Room Group

Currently/hoping to study Chemistry: what were your A level subjects?

Just out of interest. I'm conflicted: do I choose to carry on with biology, chemistry and maths should I choose English literature, chemistry and maths? I prefer English as AS and love the arts/science mix, but would it look bad if I applied to university with it?
Original post by MsTyrell
Just out of interest. I'm conflicted: do I choose to carry on with biology, chemistry and maths should I choose English literature, chemistry and maths? I prefer English as AS and love the arts/science mix, but would it look bad if I applied to university with it?

Taking all the sciences is a hellish combination, only continue if you're really intent on a STEM career. I enjoyed History, so I can recommend that.
Reply 2
I am already in year 12, and I'm choosing which subjects to carry on into year 13. :smile:
I did chemistry biology and sociology and im studying chemistry now so
Reply 4
I did Maths, Biol, Chem (Spanish AS) - I would've kept Spanish over Biology, although I knew the likelihood of getting an A in Spanish was awfully slim so I took the safe option there. Having a good background across all the sciences is very helpful, as Chemistry itself is very rarely used in isolation. You should be fine for entry with those though so don't worry too much. Biology stuff is good to know, but in no way is it a core part of the course - it's easily the least relevant/useful out of the four sciences for Chemistry at undergraduate level.
I did chem, bio and maths (phys AS), but that's irrelevant. Biology would be helpful if you do any biochemistry stuff at whatever uni you go to. Almost no unis will penalise you for the English Lit though.

Most of all, I'd say wait. It's way too early to make this decision. See how you do in your AS levels, and how much you enjoyed each at the end. Most schools will let you switch even once you've started year 13.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending