The Student Room Group

Missed UKCAT for 2007- is there a way round it?

Hello!
If someone missed UKCAT (because they come from another country and their teacher didn't tell them they had to do it :mad: ) and they were taking the IB with Maths SL and Bio as HL, but no Chem, what can they do to start studying in 2007? I don't guess there is a way round the test, is there?

Does anybody know if Unis that offer the A104 course (with foundation year) take people on for year one without UKCAT?

Is it possible to enrol in another subject, such as chem or biochem or whatever, which will then possibly be regarded as the missing scientific basis, thus enabling the person to start a regular 5-year course in 2008?

Information appreciated.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
First, check your country to see if it was in the list of countries that didnt require its applicants to sit for UKCAT. If not, why not apply to the few uni's that don't ask for the UKCAT. Otherwise, gap year time.
Reply 2
No Chem at all or just not at HL?

'cause quite a few uni's accept AS level chem. Anyhow, what kind of foundation programme are you talking about? Some only take 21+ people and so forth.

KCL and Edin both require the UKCAT for their foundations.

Frankly, I'd recommend a gap, doing the chem and applying for 2008. AFAIK it's not recommended to start a BSc and then transfer - and I don't think it'll give you eligibility. Obviousy there are the med foundation years, though I don't know much about them.
Reply 3

med foundation years, though I don't know much about them

I thought they were for people with non science backgrounds...hard to convince with the OPs subjects ;p
Reply 4
If you're determined not to take a gap year then apply to St Georges for their BMedSci course - you can transfere into Medicine 3rd yr after compleation of the 3 yr BSc honnors course,

Good luck

Wangers
Reply 5
f_debelder
I thought they were for people with non science backgrounds...hard to convince with the OPs subjects ;p

Yes. Having done science without chem seems to be a catch 22 kind of thing.
Reply 6
There are still universities that you can apply to but you will be very limited in your choices. Bristol and Birmingham require no entrance exam and Oxbridge, Imperial and UCL require you to take the BMAT for which registration is still open.
Reply 7
Plus not many A104 courses will take people with one or two sciences...
Reply 8
Fluffy

Which again is why not having done chem is such a bad place to be.
Reply 9
Thales
Which again is why not having done chem is such a bad place to be.

In reality, it's not that chem is more important for medicine (it isn't), it's just that it's harder to bring someone without it up to speed in it...
Reply 10
Fluffy

I don't quite get that. It isn't as if the person didn't have any chem whatsoever, he just didn't take it on to A-level.

Edinburgh says for its course A104 (having taken the IB) you need

37 points; 6 6 7 required at higher level. Not subject combination listed for A100 course.

Plus they state:

This 6 year course includes an additional pre-medical year, consisting of selected courses from the first year of the Biological Sciences programme, and is designed for those students who have the correct grades for entry but who do not have the correct combination of science subjects to enable them to apply for the 5-year MBChB (A100).

I find this says: "ok, you are good, but didn't have chem, so you can take the 6 year course."
So if someone had maths and bio, but not chem, it ought to be ok, shouldn't it?
Reply 11
I said NOT MANY, not none!!!

A lot (the magority) of schools have a two sciences rule for A104. Doesn't matter what they are, but if you have two, they're usually a no go. The only exceptions are generally those 6 year courses set up for people from underachieving schools in useless areas...

Plus, I have to admit to being shocked that anyone could miss the UKCAT deadlines... It's not like the websites been live since April/may or anything. And it's not like all schools using it haven't been warning people via their websites about it for as much as 12 months... I get really annoyed by people who use the 'my teacher didn't tell me' excuse when med applications go wrong...
Reply 12
Fluffy
I said NOT MANY, not none!!!

A lot (the magority) of schools have a two sciences rule for A104. Doesn't matter what they are, but if you have two, they're usually a no go. The only exceptions are generally those 6 year courses set up for people from underachieving schools in useless areas...

Plus, I have to admit to being shocked that anyone could miss the UKCAT deadlines... It's not like the websites been live since April/may or anything. And it's not like all schools using it haven't been warning people via their websites about it for as much as 12 months... I get really annoyed by people who use the 'my teacher didn't tell me' excuse when med applications go wrong...

No, actually the school discourages people who want to study medicine in the UK. But that is another story.
The person in question just had a sudden attack of " I think I will do what I always wanted to do and not do as everybody is telling me to do". But alas, it is just too late this year. **** happens. But his alternatives aren't bad. And... tomorrow is another day (meaning there is such a thing as "next year")
Reply 13
I'm not surprised at all; I only found out about the UKCAT by chance in August. My school have been completely useless, which has meant I've done all the research myself. And it's not like you'd know about the UKCAT if you lived in another country anyway. My suggestion is ring up the universities you wish to apply to, and explain your predicament. They should be very understanding and will advise you on the best route to take. :smile: Good luck.
Reply 14
Thank you for the support!
Reply 15
JoePublic
I'm not surprised at all; I only found out about the UKCAT by chance in August. My school have been completely useless, which has meant I've done all the research myself. And it's not like you'd know about the UKCAT if you lived in another country anyway. My suggestion is ring up the universities you wish to apply to, and explain your predicament. They should be very understanding and will advise you on the best route to take. :smile: Good luck.

Key words highlighted. If you 'so want to do med/it's the be all and end all/etc, you would have found out about it...

BTW, this is the view most med schools are taking if other peoples experiences on other boards are anything to go by...
Reply 16
Fluffy
Key words highlighted. If you 'so want to do med/it's the be all and end all/etc, you would have found out about it...

BTW, this is the view most med schools are taking if other peoples experiences on other boards are anything to go by...

I am sure you are right.

But as I was saying

It is not me, so there is no use hitting me

the person only took the plunge a few days ago, after having been talked into doing something else at oxbridge for ages

the person does not live in the UK and studying in the UK is only one option.

The question was: Is there a way around UKCAT? Not: Is a person who missed UKCAT a moron?
Reply 17
And the answer is no, unless you apply to a non UKCAT uni, or somehow manage to charm an admissions officer out of the exam requirement, which seems rather unlikely. :wink:
Reply 18
I gather that is correct. Hard luck then.
Its to late for you to register for the Bmat but you could have went round it by applyin to UCL, Imperial, Bristol and liverpool. UCL and Imperial need Bmat and Bristol and Liverpool dont require Ukcat.

Latest

Trending

Trending