The Student Room Group

Want to make friends but don't know how...

I started university as a mature student last year, in my early twenties, and I made a few friends within my halls who I decided to live with in a house this year. These are really my only friends at university as I have none on my course, but I am hoping to join some societies in second semester.
I feel really down as I've come to realise I don't actually have much, if anything at all, in common with any of these people… We get along, have a laugh and are kind of there for each other but I'm not myself around them.

I'm asian whilst they are white and I do feel this has a lot to do with it as I'd like to have at least one group of friends at university of my ethnicity who understand my culture and have the same music interests and background etc...

I did make friends with a few girls at the beginning of last year but I haven't really seen them since. We really got along so this is a shame and they seem quite cliquey in their group now so I don't know if I would be able to break in anyway. I'm attractive if this helps in any way but I'm not sure if they would be welcoming due to my age.

Any tips?
Reply 1
Original post by peanutbuttercup
I'm attractive if this helps in any way

Lol.

Part of it is just being brave, walking up to a group of people you like the look of and starting talking to them. If you carry on doing that, eventually you'll know whether they're the kind of people you think you could be friends with - and they'll know the same about you. Early twenties isn't that old so don't let that be a factor. Good luck.
Reply 2
I think many of us are not 'quite ourselves' with friends - we have to change our behaviour in order to fit within group norms. Maybe you would feel more comfortable with Asian friends though. And early twenties is still young enough to get on with 18-19 year olds - in fact some may adopt you as the 'mother' of the group!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending