The Student Room Group

Self teaching AS-level as an external candidate?

Hi, I am thinking of attempting to register as an external candidateand to self-teach myself an AS-level inorder to boost my UCAS points, I am currently only in need of another 10-30 points so literally will only need to achieve a Grade E or D at tops in order to get onto my chosen uni course! Was just wondering if peoplecan help me with the following questions:
Would I be able to register before January assuming my oldsixth form allow it to happen?
Would I be able to take an AS-level that I didn’t takeduring my first time around?
What is sociology like at AS-level, for instance is thereany coursework? How difficult would you say it is and would already having a Bat A-level psychology be helpful with this? (In terms of essay writing skillsgathered)
How do you even start to register as an external candidate?
Do you have to sit the exam at a college/sixth form, or canyou go to another controlled environment?
How much would it cost me to do this?

Has anyone else done this, if so what was your experiences?

Any help is greatly appreciated!
Umiversities usually require you to get a certain number of UCAS points in the whole A-Level.
So say if a uni gives you an offer of 300 UCAS points, you need to get 3B's at A-Level.

Otherwise people could simply accumulate many E grades at AS level and gain entry to a university course where people had all A's for example.

In reply to your questions, each exam would cost between £10-£20, so a 4 unit a level would be max 80, and a 6 unit a level would be £120 max (usually 90ish tho).
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest