The Student Room Group

Missed the vast majority of lectures and tutorials, lecturers not responding.. help!

I am really asking this out of desperation, hopefully someone out there can offer some advice.

After a great first year at UCL over the summer I was diagnosed with severe depression and general anxiety disorder. It really came out of nowhere and hit me like a truck. I am seeing a psychiatrist and up to my eyeballs in medication, doctor's visits and therapy sessions but it is gradually taking over my life. I have gone from a student with offers from the best universities in the country to barely being able to attend lectures. My personal tutor is very understanding and most lecturers have been too but there are two modules that I have barely attended this year and can't see a way to catch up. They have posted no solid material (even lecture slides) online, one of the lecturers is completely ignoring my emails and another one responded that I could visit during office hours but he can only offer five minutes per student each week due to time commitments- which frankly isn't going to help much when I don't understand any of the concepts. Its pretty humiliating to write to lecturers explaining all of your serious mental heath problems to be constantly brushed aside but I can't exactly force them to help me. Where do I go from here?

Thanks
Original post by UCLRyan
I am really asking this out of desperation, hopefully someone out there can offer some advice.

After a great first year at UCL over the summer I was diagnosed with severe depression and general anxiety disorder. It really came out of nowhere and hit me like a truck. I am seeing a psychiatrist and up to my eyeballs in medication, doctor's visits and therapy sessions but it is gradually taking over my life. I have gone from a student with offers from the best universities in the country to barely being able to attend lectures. My personal tutor is very understanding and most lecturers have been too but there are two modules that I have barely attended this year and can't see a way to catch up. They have posted no solid material (even lecture slides) online, one of the lecturers is completely ignoring my emails and another one responded that I could visit during office hours but he can only offer five minutes per student each week due to time commitments- which frankly isn't going to help much when I don't understand any of the concepts. Its pretty humiliating to write to lecturers explaining all of your serious mental heath problems to be constantly brushed aside but I can't exactly force them to help me. Where do I go from here?

Thanks

Sorry to hear all this has happened to you.

Do you have module outlines? That might be a good place to start, have a look see what you missed then work from there.

Regardless of the length of time go to the office hours and use the 5 minutes to explain the seriousness of your situation. Hopefully when they understand they can allocate you more time.

Also see if you can get a doctors note as well confirming everything you have been emailing them about so they understand.

Are there any course friends that can lend you notes/help teach you concepts?

Also try chatting to the SU see if they can help with the situation at all?

If it were me I would try and attend maybe a lecture or so a day and see if you can build it up from there and become a regular attendee.

Hope this helps
Reply 2
Original post by UCLRyan

After a great first year at UCL over the summer I was diagnosed with severe depression and general anxiety disorder. It really came out of nowhere and hit me like a truck. I am seeing a psychiatrist and up to my eyeballs in medication, doctor's visits and therapy sessions but it is gradually taking over my life. I have gone from a student with offers from the best universities in the country to barely being able to attend lectures.

Have you been and seen your University's Disabiility Support Office (or the equivalent)? You might be eligible for various reasonable adjustments (recorder for lectures, access to slides in advance or extended slides, extra time in exams, scribe etc ). Might be worth contacting them, if you have had a formal diagnosis you have medical evidence which they will need to see before they assess your individual needs but they are usually really helpful.

You also have mitigating circumstances in preparation for examinations because your studies have been affected. I'd contact your tutor and course leader to inform them of the situation and ask what medical evidence they require to have mitigating circumstances considered (they'll likely also refer you to speak to the Disability Support Office or equivalent, so if you already have that in hand it may be helpful).

My personal tutor is very understanding and most lecturers have been too but there are two modules that I have barely attended this year and can't see a way to catch up. They have posted no solid material (even lecture slides) online, one of the lecturers is completely ignoring my emails and another one responded that I could visit during office hours but he can only offer five minutes per student each week due to time commitments- which frankly isn't going to help much when I don't understand any of the concepts.

The Disability Support would circumvent this. Can you not grab some slides from friends or other people in your tutorials?

Its pretty humiliating to write to lecturers explaining all of your serious mental heath problems to be constantly brushed aside but I can't exactly force them to help me. Where do I go from here?
Thanks

They deal with this sort of thing, but you don't need to inform each one individually of your medical circumstances. Go and see the DSO and they'll kick things off. Do it soon so it's in time for the examinations, and you should have all the material provided to you that you have missed.

Get to it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending