The Student Room Group
School of Oriental and African Studies
London

soas attendance

what’s attendance like at soas? i’ve heard in the past they were quite strict, but with classes being recorded is it still possible to study from home some days?
Original post by Anonymous
what’s attendance like at soas? i’ve heard in the past they were quite strict, but with classes being recorded is it still possible to study from home some days?

Hello,

I would say that it depends on the course/modules that you are doing. Some lecturers base a percentage of your grade on participation (which will include your attendance) and others may choose not to record lectures as they prioritize in-person engagement with their students. I have been graded on participation in a couple of classes, but for the majority of them I would say they were not strict on attendance. but tutorials are not recorded and they are really difficult to catch up on.

Is there a particular reason you would prefer to study from home?

- Monica (MA Social Anthropology)
School of Oriental and African Studies
London
What is the minimum attendance criteria for post graduate taught students and where can we find our attendance?
Original post by Vanshika#23
What is the minimum attendance criteria for post graduate taught students and where can we find our attendance?

Hi,

I would say that it does depend on the course and the modules that you are taking. Generally, it is advised to attend the lectures as well as tutorials and seminars that are part of your course. And generally, for tutorials and seminars, attendance is taken. Though attendance is not taken for the lectures but it is recommended to attend them nevertheless.

Speaking from personal experience, I am languages student, and if you are studying a language as part of your course, it is not a good idea to skip a language class as you will have difficulties following up with the subsequent sessions.

There also certain visa requirements for you to attend your classes, if you are an international student.

Hope this helps!

-A (MA Iranian Studies and Persian)
Postgrad is an intense period of study, you should be aiming for 100% rather than working out the minimum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending