The Student Room Group

Why are girls more prone to have celebrity crushes?

I am not saying only girls have them, I know one guy in my class was absolutely in love with Jennifer Lawrence, but girls certainly seem far more easily attached and obsessed with their favourite celebrities than boys. Just look at 'directioners', 'beliebers', 'cumberbitches' and all of the other fanbases which are predominantly female, and even some of the posters on here who border on stalkerish.

My question is this: is there some personality trait more common among girls that means they become more easily and more strongly attached to objects or people, and if yes, what is it?

As a bonus, here is a hilarious youtube video:

(edited 9 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

If there were an army of men on the internet who were obsessed with a female celebrity and wrote elaborate fan fiction about having sex & followed them everywhere they went they would get in big trouble.
Reply 2
Celebrity = Their dream guy?

Its that or its the money and fame.
No evidence to back it up, but perhaps girls focus more on personality than simply looks, and because of that personality cults emerge more readily which is an essential component of crazy fan mentality.
As for Benedict Cumberbatch many women fawn over his persona "Sherlock Holmes" also status is another thing which attract women for example fame and money.
Girls are more attracted to status itself than guys are.
Girls get stronger feelings or more attached than guys do? :dontknow:
are you referring to me op?
in my experience girls have this curious desire to be authority figures and men with a lot of status.
Original post by sherlockfan

Probably not but you would fall into the category as a "fan girl"
Original post by Maid Marian

For sure, you never see a guy crying and eating ice cream on the sofa while watching a Romcom because his girlfriend dumped him.
Reply 11
Original post by TroyAndAbed
If there were an army of men on the internet who were obsessed with a female celebrity and wrote elaborate fan fiction about having sex & followed them everywhere they went they would get in big trouble.

There are some in the dark corners of the internet.

Original post by Enoxial
Celebrity = Their dream guy?

Its that or its the money and fame.

Original post by Fizzel
No evidence to back it up, but perhaps girls focus more on personality than simply looks, and because of that personality cults emerge more readily which is an essential component of crazy fan mentality.

Original post by Black Cat
As for Benedict Cumberbatch many women fawn over his persona "Sherlock Holmes" also status is another thing which attract women for example fame and money.

Original post by TurboCretin
Girls are more attracted to status itself than guys are.

Original post by KingStannis
in my experience girls have this curious desire to be authority figures and men with a lot of status.

Interesting because the term that keeps cropping up is 'status'. Do you all think this is socially instilled, and that girls are brought up on Disney fairy tale princes and aim for the top, or is it a biological desire for finding the best option, or something else entirely?

Original post by Maid Marian

Is it that simple though?

Am I, 'sherlockfan'? Are you the only person who is like this in the entire world?
Original post by Arkasia
There are some in the dark corners of the internet.

Interesting because the term that keeps cropping up is 'status'. Do you all think this is socially instilled, and that girls are brought up on Disney fairy tale princes and aim for the top, or is it a biological desire for finding the best option, or something else entirely?

Is it that simple though?

Am I, 'sherlockfan'? Are you the only person who is like this in the entire world?

lol. dont try and pretend.
you do know posting a thread about a celebrity getting married doesnt count as stalking them.

[video="youtube;pUEV4rnu5V8"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pUEV4rnu5V8[/video]
Reply 14
lol. dont try and pretend.
you do know posting a thread about a celebrity getting married doesnt count as stalking them.

You got very angry at me the other day for coming onto your thread and trying to argue, please don't do the same.
Probably not but you would fall into the category as a "fan girl"

i dont care to be placed in a "category". it's not people on the internet who define who i am.
I have no idea. I do this myself as well? Maybe it's because these celebrities are dream guys/girls?
Original post by Arkasia
You got very angry at me the other day for coming onto your thread and trying to argue, please don't do the same.

dont do the same? youre the one who started it. if you're going to make derisive comments about people online, live with the consequences.
Original post by Arkasia

Who says Celebrities are the best options?

maybe. but that's not the case with me : dontknow:

Latest