The Student Room Group

Grumpy Cat earns £64 MILLION!

That sum is just incredible!
When a cat is grumpy= "give it money"

When I'm grumpy= "let's poke it"
Original post by Captain Jack

That sum is just incredible!

ohh, apparently that figure is wrong according to the owner: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDFuctx_LDg
Reply 3
This nonsense is why I hate the idiots who blindly throw money at memes or anything they class as an internet-based joke. It is bad enough Zoella being the fastest selling female book author of all time, but this just pisses me off. People work their entire lives just to get shafted by the government, and this cat owners makes millions by sitting there with a cat that seems to have a faintly angry face.
Original post by Arkasia
This nonsense is why I hate the idiots who blindly throw money at memes or anything they class as an internet-based joke. It is bad enough Zoella being the fastest selling female book author of all time, but this just pisses me off. People work their entire lives just to get shafted by the government, and this cat owners makes millions by sitting there with a cat that seems to have a faintly angry face.

Well, I'm sure it's much more than that. There will be a whole licensing and merchandise business behind it all. Not to mention PR, marketing, publishing etc. I've no doubt she's worked hard to make it happen.
Reply 5
Original post by Captain Jack
Well, I'm sure it's much more than that. There will be a whole licensing and merchandise business behind it all. Not to mention PR, marketing, publishing etc. I've no doubt she's worked hard to make it happen.

I have. The internet did 99% of her job, and the cat did the other 1%.
That's a lot of catnip.
Original post by Arkasia

Sadly it's the times we live in. The celebrity culture in general is rotten and moronic.
Reply 7
As much as I love Grumpy Cat, I am a bit peeved that a cat has earned more than I ever will. Both my cats look grumpy. I should have put them on Reddit before Grumpy Cat came on the scene then they would have been the millionaires lol.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
What do you mean when you say it earnt £64 million? I don't understand the mechanism through which a grumpy cat would feasibly earn money, even just £10 million.
Yes, it's moronic, but it's also a brilliant exploit of our culture. Everyone has got the chance to come up with something equally pointless and shallow that will attract the masses and transfer their money to your pockets.

Facebook, the ridiculous social network that alienates people and spams you with advertisements is worth billions, the financial sector that just moves money around makes billions, stupid celebrities using auto-tune make hundreds of millions, etc. This is the face of the society that we live in and I'm very glad that Grumpy Cat earns so much because it's yet another case that exposes how stupid we collectively are.

I gave Grumpy Cat a good laugh when I first saw it but that's it. I'm not even mildly amused any more. I'm such an intellectual… :awesome:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by miser
What do you mean when you say it earnt £64 million? I don't understand the mechanism through which a grumpy cat would feasibly earn money, even just £10 million.

This article mentions soundtracks, books, toys and other merchandise with the brand etc.

However, the reporter or the source quoted show a remarkably poor grasp of numbers:

Ben Lashes, the talent manager credited with building Grumpy Cat's fortune, told Hollywood Reporter in July that Grumpy Cat had produced about $100 million in revenue. "This is a seven-figure cat, for sure," he said.

Er, $100 million is 9 figures. Only out by a factor of 100 then.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending