The Student Room Group

Can you join the army if you are gay

i am wondering if you can
Reply 1
Yes you can. It would be a disgusting form of prejudice if you couldn't

I just looked it up further and since 2000 it had been made legal for LGBT people to join the British Armed Forces. The Armed Forces even have regular gay pride parades and are in the top 100 LGBT employers index; I have heard a lot of positive things in recent years about the growing acceptance of LGBT people in the Armed Forces, which is great. :smile:

I know there is this stereotype of "butch, macho" men being in the Armed Forces who are also stereotypically seen as homophobic and yes a little bit of homophobia still exists within the Armed Forces sadly but it is only a minority who are so prejudist.
(edited 9 years ago)
Back in 2004 I researched joining the armed forces, and they had a 'don't ask don't tell' policy. Not sure if that still exists though
Yes.
Reply 4
Original post by askew116
Back in 2004 I researched joining the armed forces, and they had a 'don't ask don't tell' policy. Not sure if that still exists though

Not in this country they didn't. You're thinking of the US (and the law was repealed this year).
Original post by Drewski
Not in this country they didn't. You're thinking of the US (and the law was repealed this year).

I remember for a fact that they did. This was the RAF, and I distinctly remember reading it under the FAQ section on their website.
Original post by trifleontoast
i am wondering if you can

Yes you can.

Reply 7
I remember for a fact that they did. This was the RAF, and I distinctly remember reading it under the FAQ section on their website.

Sorry, but you're mistaken. The entire British armed forces has been open to openly homosexual (and other) people since 2000 and we've never had a don't ask don't tell policy in this country. I'm ex-RAF.
Reply 8

I don't think they did, well they certainly did not after 2000.

I found an article on an RAF Chief from June 1998 who argued in favour of lifting the ban on LGBT people joining the British Armed Forces and he mentioned something about not following America's "don't ask, don't tell" policy: http://www.proud2serve.net/raf-news/466-jun-98-raf-chief-argues-for-gay-ban-to-be-lifted

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending