The Student Room Group

Psychology should be taught as a compulsory subject

Does anyone else agree?

I think it would be so beneficial for children to learn more about human nature and our behaviour.

I feel like a lot of prejudices are rooted by an ignorance of people, which an understanding of Psychology could help to reduce.
It amazes me how I often see many academically successful people on here just miss the mark with topics about humankind, and it seems obvious.

The first thread that springs to mind is a thread about whether intelligence is down to genetics, which was up a little while ago. Firstly. It amazed me how some people adamantly draw up their own conclusions-"oh definitely genetics", from the tops of their heads. It's as if it doesn't dawn on them that there is a field of research that studies this, and instead of just making up an answer which seems sensible to you, have a Google?

Other common answers were 'not genetics, all it takes is hard work. I did well because I worked hard'. Firstly this makes me feel like some people don't really understand what intelligence is, and somewhat think it's synonymous with academic success in school. This kind of ignorance here, are firstly, and it's an all too common mindset on TSR, that if you didn't do well in school, or didn't go to uni, you are by default less intelligent. Or even unintelligent.

Another ignorance is the belief that it's all down to 'hard work' which leads to the mindset that those who are 'successful,' are more hard working than those less successful. Which leads to the other common belief that those who earn less/ didn't do as well in school are somehow less hardworking, and even more lazy. This attitude is rife among threads about income support, the typical 'I work/ed harder than them, yet my taxes goes towards their cans and fags' attitude.

Another ignorance is the idea that intelligence is all down to genetics, this leads to attitudes such as the working class are by default 'less intelligent' and so they deserve to be treated with less respect. This kind of attitude also transfers to attitudes concerning children of the working class and any additional support they may receive.

I really believe that if people are more understanding in the complex environmental/genetic interaction that leads to who we are as people, we'd experience less prejudice in society. The above example is one of many, it can also be applied to racism, sexism and many other types of ignorances in society that leads to prejudice and discriminatory attitudes such as attitudes towards the homeless.

Another good reason for having Psychology taught as a compulsory subject is that it'd be so beneficial in improving attitudes towards mental illness and the stigma that still surrounds it. The idea that mental illness illness= weakness.

I think an understanding of Psychology is beneficial in developing a critical attitude which leads you to query what you hear and not to accept things at face value.
I would add economics to that.

When our leaders can equate a deficit to a debt and get away with it you got a problem.
This is a brilliant post, agree 100%. Maybe it could be taught as part of PSHE/Citizenship instead of how psychology is taught now, that way it would allow for more discussion based on the ideas/theory rather than the memorisation of past (and usually flawed) experiments.
I don't think psychology should be compulsory.

It's already compulsory in many schools for pupils to take part in key skills such as communication and working with others, which help people develop some skills which you've mentioned. A lot of other subjects can give the skills that you've mentioned in the post.

There will always be people ignorant to others. Forcing them to study psychology may help some people understand human nature a little more, but that doesn't necessarily mean it'll change their behavior.

I think that more work should be done in secondary school with introducing children to the 'real world.' By this I'd consider making some form of volunteering compulsory for a short while, or even extra work experience. This will help them get an understanding of the nature of people in different environments, and may help them develop skills which will become useful in later life when they leave school, college or university and go out to get a job.
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
I would add economics to that.

When our leaders can equate a deficit to a debt and get away with it you got a problem.

How did you learn about economics?

I'm 17 and I barely know anything about how politics or how our economy works and that worries me lol.
Reply 5
It's already compulsory at degree level for people with above average A-levels and no clue.
Original post by grassntai
How did you learn about economics?

I'm 17 and I barely know anything about how politics or how our economy works and that worries me lol.

Disclaimer: I'm very much a left winger

Well I got a basic understanding from reading easily accessible pop political books. Which started with Noam Chomsky really, stuff like "Profit over People", "How the world works", "manufacturing consent". Those are more political rather than being in depth economic analysis. Noami Klein is another good one.

Steve Keens is a good start for a more detailed look into the empirical flaws of neoliberalism (which is the current mainstream economic school of thought).

I tend to read stuff I know I am more likely to agree with. I find it hard to read stuff I wont agree with. I'm aware I'm in danger of the closed echo chamber effect but whatever. I get bombarded with we enough alternative view points with everyday news etc, which I have always been suspicions of, now I have actual sources and facts to legitimize my suspicions.

Also this: http://anotherangryvoice.blogspot.co.uk/2014/09/recommended-reading-economics.html
(edited 9 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending