The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi! I read this for my AS level, and it really grew on me as time went on. I never saw the play on stage or watched the film until after the exam, and I must say that to read the play is the best way of understanding (or trying to understand) T.Williams' play. I hated the character of Blanche right from the start, and really liked Stanley (I'm probably alone on this!). I don't believe he raped Blanche physically but rather he did mentally. I love the stage directions written by Williams, his direction and input make the play what it is. I keep meaning to buy a biograph on him...... right....off to ebay......
Reply 2
bukluva
Hi! I read this for my AS level, and it really grew on me as time went on. I never saw the play on stage or watched the film until after the exam, and I must say that to read the play is the best way of understanding (or trying to understand) T.Williams' play. I hated the character of Blanche right from the start, and really liked Stanley (I'm probably alone on this!). I don't believe he raped Blanche physically but rather he did mentally. I love the stage directions written by Williams, his direction and input make the play what it is. I keep meaning to buy a biograph on him...... right....off to ebay......

I like Stanley :biggrin: He seems to be the only real and down to earth character in the entire book :p: I love the whole Elysian fields imagery and Blanche's ride in the car symbolising the road to death etc. etc. lol, sooo good. It's a very good book to analyse, sexual connotations everywhere :biggrin: not full of biblical references like a lot of books :p: Do you think it's important to know a bit about T.W for essays? I know about his drunken father - ASND Stanley i think, and his mentally ill sister - ASND Blanche...what do you think?! :biggrin: xxx
Reply 3
Oooh I am also doing this for my AS this year!!!! I'm really enjoying it so far. I read it over summer and liked it but didn't really "get" it so studying it has been great fun! :smile:

Just written my first essay on it which I am pleased with!
Reply 4
Vicky88
Oooh I am also doing this for my AS this year!!!! I'm really enjoying it so far. I read it over summer and liked it but didn't really "get" it so studying it has been great fun! :smile:

Just written my first essay on it which I am pleased with!

Oooh same i like my first essay :p: bit unstructured, been out of practice over the summer :p: I read it first off, didn't think it was as amazing as everyone said but once you start annotating its like, OOOH I LIKE THIS PLAY!!! lol tis v good, what chapter are you on?! x
Reply 5
Yeah, I haven't written an essay for two years so I was welllll out of practice!!! What was your essay title?

Oh and we've just finished scene three - u? :biggrin:
Reply 6
Vicky88
Yeah, I haven't written an essay for two years so I was welllll out of practice!!! What was your essay title?

Oh and we've just finished scene three - u? :biggrin:

Eeerm it waaaas about the symbolic use of lighting, music and props in connection to Blanche. :p: Easier than it sounds lol but 2 pages all the same :p: I could write essays for england lol i type so much, probs all waffle :p: you? We're nearly at scene 7, it's the scene i think where ya know rapes ya know :p: lol x
Reply 7
Ooh you've gone rather fast!!!

Umm, 'how does Williams create dramatic tension' in scene three or something. I rambled quite a bit too, I wrote a politics essay that came to about 600 words so I was a bit worried and ended up typing 1500 odd!!
Reply 8
Vicky88
Ooh you've gone rather fast!!!

Umm, 'how does Williams create dramatic tension' in scene three or something. I rambled quite a bit too, I wrote a politics essay that came to about 600 words so I was a bit worried and ended up typing 1500 odd!!

haha i know i always think it's too short so carry on :p: plus i like people saying 'WOAH YOU'VE WRITTEN BEAR!' class of chavs :wink: lol, laugh a minute :biggrin: :p: i don't know how our class went to fast lol. We're watching a film version at the same time, not the marlon brandon version :frown: have you seen any film adaptations of ASND? x
Reply 9
Lmao!

I started watching the Marlon Brando version but not sure why I didn't finish lol. I'd like to see it tho. Is the one ur watching any good??
Reply 10
Vicky88
Lmao!

I started watching the Marlon Brando version but not sure why I didn't finish lol. I'd like to see it tho. Is the one ur watching any good??

Meh not really lol, it's a TV adaptation aka bad :p: I dunno why we're not watching the Brando one, clearly the best :p: do you get to take your book into the exam?! x
LadyEnglish
Anyone love/like/hate it?! Or just doing it for AS level :p:
Would like to meet: Others reading A.S.N.D :biggrin: x

:eek: I loved this play!!!!! Also we were lucky enough to see it performed. One of the best plays I've read - also got to see Death of a Salesman performed in September, Brilliant - it's on my A2 course so can't complain, still a great book :biggrin:
Reply 12
LadyEnglish
Meh not really lol, it's a TV adaptation aka bad :p: I dunno why we're not watching the Brando one, clearly the best :p: do you get to take your book into the exam?! x

Yes thank goodness!! hehe. u??
Reply 13
haha yeah i do :p: bit worried, it's FULL of annotation, don't want it taken off me :redface: lol x
Reply 14
Yeah mine is too! My teacher said that in all her years she has never seen a text taken off anyone so I think it would have to be A LOT!!!
Reply 15
Vicky88
Yeah mine is too! My teacher said that in all her years she has never seen a text taken off anyone so I think it would have to be A LOT!!!

Haha yeah lol. I chose blanche's speech about belle reve and death for a drama exam lol, v emotional :wink: lol, im looking forward to the exam in a strange way, i could write for hours about ASND :p: i don't care if people hate me for saying that lol hehe x
Reply 16
I'm looking forward to the exam too actually. I enjoy studying it.

NOT looking forward to my Frankenstein exam in Jan tho. :/
Reply 17
Hi! I studied A Streetcar Named Desire last year for AS English Literature. Are you folks with Edexcel by any chance?
Reply 18
Vicky88
I'm looking forward to the exam too actually. I enjoy studying it.

NOT looking forward to my Frankenstein exam in Jan tho. :/

You're worried about Frankenstein! I'm doing flipping Antony and Cleopatra by Mr. Shakespeare :frown: I don't think I have ever expierienced such extreme boredom in my life lol :p: x
Reply 19
Elements
Hi! I studied A Streetcar Named Desire last year for AS English Literature. Are you folks with Edexcel by any chance?

Not sure :confused: How was the exam and question?! :biggrin: x

Latest

Trending

Trending