The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
LadyEnglish
Not sure :confused: How was the exam and question?! :biggrin: x

Lol, don't worry about it. Was just going to say that if you're with Edexcel, when you do your English exams, you have to answer one question on ASND and one question on poetry as one of your English exam papers, to be done in 90 mins. So was just going to give tips.

So am I the only one that had any empathy with Blanche then? I found her such a complex character too; you'd have to make your mind up firmly about who she was and why she did the things that she did: set your own mind on one set of interpretations, to come to terms with her and act/read her parts out.
Reply 21
I am with Edexcel! :smile:
Reply 22
Yeah I am worried about the time in the exam. It took me just over an hour to write my essay on Streetcar (we had to time ourselves an hour and write it on there if we went over) which would leave me less than half an hour for poetry. :/

I assume that I will get better as the course goes on and be able to manage time better!
Reply 23
Vicky88
I am with Edexcel! :smile:

:five:
Reply 24
Elements
Lol, don't worry about it. Was just going to say that if you're with Edexcel, when you do your English exams, you have to answer one question on ASND and one question on poetry as one of your English exam papers, to be done in 90 mins. So was just going to give tips.

So am I the only one that had any empathy with Blanche then? I found her such a complex character too; you'd have to make your mind up firmly about who she was and why she did the things that she did: set your own mind on one set of interpretations, to come to terms with her and act/read her parts out.

Not so much empathy, more sympathy and mild understanding, going into a new situation with a different background/beliefs, it's hard. I don't understand why some people hate her so much. Her naievity can get a tad annoying and her childish fantasies but that is Blanche. It's Stella who winds me up, doesn't stand up for herself AT all, grr :p: Atleast Blanche is an independant woman, ish, and I really don't think on any level she deserved what Stanley does to her in scene 7 :rolleyes: I think people forget everything she has gone through, suicidal husband, lost home etc. Poor Blanche :frown: I'm doing her monolouge about Belle Reve and death for a drama exam, very emotional and angry, perfect :p: x
Reply 25
Vicky88
Yeah I am worried about the time in the exam. It took me just over an hour to write my essay on Streetcar (we had to time ourselves an hour and write it on there if we went over) which would leave me less than half an hour for poetry. :/

I assume that I will get better as the course goes on and be able to manage time better!

No you will as time goes on, trust me. At the beginning of the course, I spent about 10 hours, I kid you not, doing my Streetcar essays with my big dictionary and thesaurus nerby along with other books- other parts of the course I spent even longer- writing loads too!:biggrin: Now of course, I didn't have that much time in the exam, but I still managed to maintain both the quantity :wink: and the quality! Came out with a high A too. Let me give you some idea of the quantity: Considering the concept that even when rushed my handwriting is a little bigger and not as neat, my writing was still small, they give you a 14 page A4 booklet of lined paper, and I needed another one!:rofl:
Reply 26
LadyEnglish
Not so much empathy, more sympathy and mild understanding, going into a new situation with a different background/beliefs, it's hard. I don't understand why some people hate her so much. Her naievity can get a tad annoying and her childish fantasies but that is Blanche. It's Stella who winds me up, doesn't stand up for herself AT all, grr :p: Atleast Blanche is an independant woman, ish, and I really don't think on any level she deserved what Stanley does to her in scene 7 :rolleyes: I think people forget everything she has gone through, suicidal husband, lost home etc. Poor Blanche :frown: I'm doing her monolouge about Belle Reve and death for a drama exam, very emotional and angry, perfect :p: x

Great choice of monologue! Anybody choosing to do a predictable but traditional Shakespeare monologue in your class?
Reply 27
Elements
Great choice of monologue! Anybody choosing to do a predictable but traditional Shakespeare monologue in your class?

Eeerm don't thiiink so, they only started choosing them today. Although my friend is doing one from A Midsummer Night's dream were Helena and Hermia have a fight, so a bit predictable i suppose...I have to do 2 because im on silver medal :wink: she's only on bronze lol, i was going to do a richard III speech but apparently the examing board hate girls playing boys and vice versa :frown: So I'm playing the Queen of the Goths from Titus Andronicus, not obvious at all :biggrin: lol x
Reply 28
LadyEnglish
Eeerm don't thiiink so, they only started choosing them today. Although my friend is doing one from A Midsummer Night's dream were Helena and Hermia have a fight, so a bit predictable i suppose...I have to do 2 because im on silver medal :wink: she's only on bronze lol, i was going to do a richard III speech but apparently the examing board hate girls playing boys and vice versa :frown: So I'm playing the Queen of the Goths from Titus Andronicus, not obvious at all :biggrin: lol x

Goths, :hmmm:, even in the historical context... How sexist!:mad:
did it for drama AS last year. pretty good, and has some great underlying concepts and themes.

it was fun to play drunk stanley and yell "stelllaaaaa" as well :biggrin:
Reply 30
TheImpaledWarthog
it was fun to play drunk stanley and yell "stelllaaaaa" as well :biggrin:

Haha classic line :p: x
Reply 31
From June - July, when we started our A2 Levels, and before I decided to drop English, I read this.

I really did enjoy it, it was a fantastic book, unfortunately, the other books we had to analyse weren't quite so good.

That was OCR A2 by the way.
Reply 32
NickiM
From June - July, when we started our A2 Levels, and before I decided to drop English, I read this.

I really did enjoy it, it was a fantastic book, unfortunately, the other books we had to analyse weren't quite so good.

That was OCR A2 by the way.

What other books did you study?! x
Reply 33
LadyEnglish
What other books did you study?! x

For A2, we would have been doing:
Catcher in the Rye
The Homecoming (Pinter?)
Hamlet
Death of a Salesman

Sorry, can't remember anything else!
Reply 34
Did it for AS.

Had some controversial views regarding Stanley and Blanche that didn't go down particularly well with my female friends. :p:
Reply 35
Socrates
Did it for AS.

Had some controversial views regarding Stanley and Blanche that didn't go down particularly well with my female friends. :p:

haha lol yes it's a thin line when it comes to opinions on stanley and women :p: x
Reply 36
I can't stand Stanley at all, I think out of the male characters, I like Mitch the best.
Reply 37
NickiM
I can't stand Stanley at all, I think out of the male characters, I like Mitch the best.

He's niiiice but Stanley makes a better read :p: x
Reply 38
I think I might be a bit biased - I got given Mitch as a character to read. Stanley's just too aggressive for me. I like how the secondary text (??) like the music and the blue piano (I think - can't remember that much) is used to build up tension etc.
Reply 39
NickiM
I think I might be a bit biased - I got given Mitch as a character to read. Stanley's just too aggressive for me. I like how the secondary text (??) like the music and the blue piano (I think - can't remember that much) is used to build up tension etc.

Ooh secondary text, i like it :p: *stealing* lol. I got given Stanley as a character lol hehe, weird :p: x

Latest

Trending

Trending