The Student Room Group

How much study required for the GAMSAT (for a hugh mark)?

So I'm looking at applying to Medicial School for either 2016 or 2017 entry, most likely the latter.

I'm looking at only GEPs and the Irish Schools. I know the GEPs are vvery competitive but in all honesty I don't want to be going back to full-time study beyond 4 years and if I don't get onto the GEP for 2016, I'd rather spend another year earning money etc.

Anyways so I'm looking at purchasing some GAMSAT books and DVDs and was wondering how much work would need to be involved to want to score a high mark e.g. in the 70s or 80s? Are marks like this attainable? I assume it's a percentage right as I keep hearing "cutoffs" being implemented at like say the 50s or 60s for interviews.

How many hours a day would I need to be studying and are there any books you recommend? Furthermore, is there anything by way of courses or study classes like they do for admissions tests like the GRE and GMAT?

Finally the million dollar question: how tough is the GAMSAT?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Great resource on it here;

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3022525

Huge marks will obviously require lots of revision, however, it's as much a test in critical thinking as it is in book knowledge, so revising from a textbook may not be enough.

GAMSAT marks don't work on percentages. They have a fairly convoluted marking system, where some questions are worth more than others depending on how people answer them and other factors. Universities publish cutoffs every year, if you're above the cutoff you generally get an interview.

As for how long studying; if you're taking the exam in March- start now. If you're taking the exam in September- start now.

I haven't done any prep courses but they do exist.

Public consensus is that the GAMSAT is tough, but doable if you put the work in.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending