The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by jam277
They were pretty average, only time you really had a boss midfield was 2008 when they were with Hargreaves at his best. Since he became a crock your midfield has been terrible/average, just that Chelsea's midfield were poor with Lamps etc waning after 2010, Arsenal were a mess defensively so whenever they dominate you they lost.

Go to the games where you actually faced a top midfield under Fergie post 2010, Barcelona(dominated), Manchester City(dominated), Real Madrid (dominated).

The midfield was pretty average.

LOL we got dominated by RM. Ok mate.
Barca would have dominated any midfield. They were the best team in the world, and we got done by them.
But our midfield was in decline since Scholes was getting to the end of his career, so I see what you're saying.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by sr90
Total cost of Southampton starting XI today: £35m
Total cost of the worst player on the pitch today: £59.7m
Total cost of the second worst player on the pitch today: £38m

How can anyone defend Van Gaal after this? He's a fraud, i've been saying this for ages. Now do people believe me?

35m is staggering.
they are such an efficient club financially, it's amazing.
as a fan of soton it must be disappointed to see your best players taken away by bigger clubs, but with the academy and transfer scouts they have, it must also be very exciting to see who comes in next.

all i would say is that this is merely a single game and you still have a lead over arsenal, who are also playing city next week.
the window is open so you have opportunity to buy if you want too.
it's not all doom and gloom, however there is little to be positive about from that match.
Original post by ElChapo
That was a pretty good midfield if you ask me

Posted from TSR Mobile

See I'd have disagreed. Maybe with Essien and Lamps in their prime that would be boss midfield but their performances dipped badly when they played together. Chelsea's midfield equally have been average(compared to previous midfields) since late 2010-13.

I think we just have different definitions of average.
Eb will be requesting a transfer later this season it seems.

Spoiler

Original post by Eboracum
Just hate the whole squad bar Rooney and De Gea tbh. ****ing hated football since Ferguson left. If Van Gaal is still there in Summer I'm leaving the club to Chelsea. I've watched **** for the last 18 months and I'm ****ing sick of it. I want dominance and position 1. Sooner Van Gaal has gone the better. Sack sack sack and bring in Guardiola or Ancelotti. Hate Van Gaal so much. He was an appointment of convenience and nothing more. Blind is weak, he's a lightweight. Not enough quality in midfield. Sign some proper players in January, you've got 3 weeks.t.

I'd get used to hating De Gea as well because he's probably on the plane to Madrid right now to sign the contract, and can you blame him? Would you stick around to watch this utterly **** team fail once again, and play for a senile old man who has evidently lost the plot? Or go to Madrid and play for the best team in the world, winning trophy after trophy?

Van Gaal should be sacked first thing Monday morning. Was a good manager once upon a time but much like Arsene Wenger, he simply has no idea how the modern game works. At least Wenger managed to make a decent signing in Sanchez - why weren't we in for him? Instead we sign an overpriced flop from Madrid. Send him back on the plane with De Gea.

This entire team cost less than Juan Mata, and we couldn't even manage a shot on target. Diabolical.

''Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results'' - Albert Einstein.
(edited 9 years ago)
The Barcelona team from 09-11 would have dominated any midfield. Its a once in a lifetime team, especially the midfield.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
Plus its far too early to say Van Gaal out tbh. I know we've splashed out so much money and all but patience is needed. If we dont finish top 4 this season then he can go.

Posted from TSR Mobile

And if he goes, I presume you guys will be looking to bring in the likes of Ancelotti or Pep right? Hmmm.
That's the problem with modern day football, people are way too quick to say managers should be given their marching orders. Please don't think I'm criticising you here. I know he's spent a huge amount of money and all that but it would be a bit premature to let him go, even if he does finish outside the top 4. Ultimately, he's just trying to fix what Moyes undone last season. Didn't he say it would take round about 3 years to solidify everything? Time doesn't wait for anybody in football, I do acknowledge that.

This argument has been debated many times before but I'm just interested. It's not easy for managers these days eh? :tongue:
Eboracum :woo:
Original post by sr90
I'd get used to hating De Gea as well because he's probably on the plane to Madrid right now to sign the contract, and can you blame him? Would you stick around to watch this utterly **** team fail once again, and play for a senile old man who has evidently lost the plot? Or go to Madrid and play for the best team in the world, winning trophy after trophy?

Van Gaal should be sacked first thing Monday morning. Was a good manager once upon a time but much like Arsene Wenger, he simply has no idea how the modern game works. At least Wenger managed to make a decent signing in Sanchez - why weren't we in for him? Instead we sign an overpriced flop from Madrid. Send him back on the plane with De Gea.

''Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results'' - Albert Einstein.

I'm so angry. I just hate the lot of it. Hated Moyes, but at least he was a nice guy. I hate Van Gaal with a passion. Just looking at him makes me feel sick. How **** it is, just one game after another. I watched Spurs away, Stoke away, today...just awful. No shots on target. All the fans today should get there money back. It's ****ing atrocious whats happened to this club over the last 18 months.

I've had moron after moron telling me about those signings. THEY ARE ALL ****. YES I SAID IT. DI MARIA IS A FLOP AS ARE THE REST. How can they not be? Unless you've have the impact of Fabregas, Sanchez or Costa you're a flop at that level surely? Why do they accept less?

Why the **** didn't we go for Fabregas and Sanchez.

Wish we had Wenger instead of that idiot and buffoon Van Gaal.

If I had a season ticket I'd sell it. I'm not going again until Van Gaal has gone. Wish I was a Chelsea fan. Jam has it so easy. Guaranteed wins every week.
Its exactly like Moyes all over again.
Van Gaal will realise in April that his tactics were completely ****, but it will be too late.
Whats he got against Falcao? Hasn't been the best but with the more games he's playing the more of a threat he's looking, compared to our other strikers.
Absolute appalling post Ebocorum. I don't get how you guys find entertainment from this. When it's plain sailing it's " I say things I don't mean when I'm angry" yet it took one loss against a respectable side for you to call for Chelsea again.

Berate your manager and players all you want. Don't start giving Koeman and the club stick because they've outclassed you in every single way this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Eboracum
I'm so angry. I just hate the lot of it. Hated Moyes, but at least he was a nice guy. I hate Van Gaal with a passion. Just looking at him makes me feel sick. How **** it is, just one game after another. I watched Spurs away, Stoke away, today...just awful. No shots on target. All the fans today should get there money back. It's ****ing atrocious whats happened to this club over the last 18 months.

I've had moron after moron telling me about those signings. THEY ARE ALL ****. YES I SAID IT. DI MARIA IS A FLOP AS ARE THE REST. How can they not be? Unless you've have the impact of Fabregas, Sanchez or Costa you're a flop at that level surely? Why do they accept less?

Why the **** didn't we go for Fabregas and Sanchez.

Wish we had Wenger instead of that idiot and buffoon Van Gaal.

If I had a season ticket I'd sell it. I'm not going again until Van Gaal has gone. Wish I was a Chelsea fan. Jam has it so easy. Guaranteed wins every week.

Both Di Maria and Fabregas have been garbage in the big games, Sanchez better then them but not amazing.
But Di Maria is starting to **** me off. I expected him to pick up the ball and do something amazing. Too much to ask?
6 points in 5 games.

SSN reporting this morning that LVG said they could win the league and go the rest of the season unbeaten. What a Fat head.
Original post by Rk2k14
Both Di Maria and Fabregas have been garbage in the big games, Sanchez better then them but not amazing.
But Di Maria is starting to **** me off. I expected him to pick up the ball and do something amazing. Too much to ask?

Why is he pissing you off? He played out of position he's not a striker, not his fault

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Rk2k14

Did you happen to watch Sanchez today?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Xabi Alonso: "I left Real Madrid for the same reason Di Maria did. We do work hard and only others get the praise"
Interesting...
Original post by AR_95
Absolute appalling post Ebocorum. I don't get how you guys find entertainment from this. When it's plain sailing it's " I say things I don't mean when I'm angry" yet it took one loss against a respectable side for you to call for Chelsea again.

Berate your manager and players all you want. Don't start giving Koeman and the club stick because they've outclassed you in every single way this season.

Posted from TSR Mobile

This.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Di Maria is playing bad because he's being shunted in positions he's not suited to e.g. at ST.

Stretching the soton backline may be useful but surely Di Maria's ability to drive at defenders and increase the tempo of your midfield is more important.
Original post by AR_95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Big games he's done little to **** all. Although scored a good goal vs City he was pretty **** for most of the game.

Compare to Hazard in big games e.g.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by ElChapo
Why is he pissing you off? He played out of position he's not a striker, not his fault

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not saying he isn't good, but for £60million you expect at least something. His final ball, regardless of his positions has been poor so far.
Original post by AR_95

Posted from TSR Mobile

Its Stoke:biggrin:. Guaranteed win for you's.

Latest