The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sr90
Lucky! My dissertation presentation was worth 5%, so 2 credits :lol: I didn't even bother to plan for it cos it was worth so little, just winged it.

i would've been outraged if something like that had been worth so little.
that's disgusting.
any presentation in general should be worth AT LEAST 10% of the module it's within imo.
Original post by Lúcio
true, arsenal have a tendancy to utterly collapse :wink:
i don't think they will this season, however they have looked extremely wobbly at times, even in their wins.

i just feel like unless united have a ridiculous improvement in terms of performance AND something catastrophic happens to liverpool, they aren't making top 4.

Speaking of teams having a tendency to collapse...

1425251862057.jpg

:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hayles101
Speaking of teams having a tendency to collapse...

1425251862057.jpg

:colone:

Posted from TSR Mobile

oh my.
hayles i'm in shock.
that was low...think i'm gonna have to watch the highlights from the game today to perk me up again :wink:

we're coming for you and there's nothing you can do about it <3
Original post by Lúcio
i definitely wouldn't chastise you for that man.
nearly everybody on TSR (even liverpool fans) wrote us off at xmas.

me and jam were literally the only people i can think of that still believed liverpool would get back and challenge for top 4.
obviously i don't get any acknowledgement for this though because of negative connotations to my name :smile:

i think regarding top 4, all you can do now is just look at where you are and take it game by game.
points are all that matters and you simply have more than we do right now.

honestly, i would've chosen 2 extra modules; i can't stand outside work.
with set lectures, you have a specific time and place you need to go and you don't have to organise and manage your time to meet a deadline :frown:

essentially humans are one of the few species that have the cognitive capacity to undergo mental time-travel in order to entertain future scenarios and act based on analysis of perceived outcomes of such scenarios.
my dissertation specifically assesses individual's accuracy of prediction and whether various measures of individual differences (i.e: personality, numeracy skills, etc.) have an affect on said prediction accuracy.
so yeah, i'm a nerd...

Everybody needs to realise that Liverpool are a 2nd half of the season team under Rodgers, if there is a problem with the tactical setup, Rodgers takes some time to find the solution, but he's very good at getting the team on the front foot, simply when you play fast cohesive attacking football with high pressure it's very hard to contain.

I think the problem is your vastly inferior goal difference though. Which could be crucial in the race for top 4.

Your form is scary, and if Rodgers finds a way to prevent these half season lapses early on, you could be challenging for the title next year. United you know will go beast sooner or later if they get top 4 this season, not under Van Gaal but he can help build a great team like he did at Bayern. I genuinely think it's between Arsenal and United for 4th. Liverpool should win at Anfield vs United, Arsenal at Emirates is a hoodoo for them but I think they can get a result.
Original post by WeOnlyLiveOnce
But Arsenal are bipolar..

Posted from TSR Mobile

Are they really? Other than Spurs away and Monaco they've won 9 out of the last 11.

They're in form, and have got a good result vs City away. They're getting good at grinding the smaller teams again but their indifferent start to the season is what has costed them. The difference between them and United is that Arsenal have actually been playing well for the most part, United haven't, they've been getting results.
Original post by jam277
Everybody needs to realise that Liverpool are a 2nd half of the season team under Rodgers, if there is a problem with the tactical setup, Rodgers takes some time to find the solution, but he's very good at getting the team on the front foot, simply when you play fast cohesive attacking football with high pressure it's very hard to contain.

I think the problem is your vastly inferior goal difference though. Which could be crucial in the race for top 4.

Your form is scary, and if Rodgers finds a way to prevent these half season lapses early on, you could be challenging for the title next year. United you know will go beast sooner or later if they get top 4 this season, not under Van Gaal but he can help build a great team like he did at Bayern. I genuinely think it's between Arsenal and United for 4th. Liverpool should win at Anfield vs United, Arsenal at Emirates is a hoodoo for them but I think they can get a result.

very true - rodgers will try different things and eventually find a solution.
you never know though; if we finish top 4 and buy well in the summer (unlikely), maybe we'll actually have a decent start to the season for once.
not sure next season would be a title challenge without having a clear world class player, however we should definitely be looking at consolidating a regular top 4 spot.

couldn't agree more, GD worries me and it's our own fault for such a ridiculous start to the season.
we're 10 behind united with 11 games to go.
i'm not saying that's impossible to make up, however with our more balanced side we don't really thrash teams anymor, and if united ever lose it's typically only by a single goal.
so even though united are 2 points ahead, we technically need to gain 3 on them in the remaining games.

our form is scary for everybody except chelsea, you're safe all the way up there man :wink:
you guys must be loving it - league cup won, PL looking very likely, still in the CL :cool:

exactly, with the individual players they have it's only a matter of time before united go crazy.
so it's imperative that we make top 4 so we can bring in some talent of our own.

i'm not as optimistic as you; arsenal are solid for top 4 imo.
i think we'll win at anfield vs united but lose to arsenal at the emirates.
let's not forget that although in our last 10 games we have 26 points, arsenal have 24.
i wouldn't say they're playing as good as us, but they're getting results and thats all teams need at this stage.
i miss old whiskey nose

Original post by jam277
x

Van Gaal is generally a second stage of the season manager too though. He's shown more tactical competency in recent games (playing wingers for one), so a lot of the tags we're labelled by don't seem to be surfacing as prominently as people would have you believe. We've started playing much more balanced football since West Ham e.g. With the loss at Swansea can be contributed to a freak goal (though it's worrying how we seem to struggle to come from a goal behind, bar the much maligned long ball tactic) and the injury of Van Persie makes it an easier decision really. It's clear Van Gaal doesn't trust Falcao to lead the line, so I think we can expect Rooney leading the line at some point, or worst case scenario he's at 10 and Falcao at 9. Makes me feel a lot more secure than I have been at other stages of the season. I think we'll be ok in the big games, the others well it's not so easy to break a bus as others know.
Rooney needs to start up top. That much is clear to see. LVG is complaining about having no 20+ goals a season man, but he's got one right under his nose in the shape of Rooney.

Playing him continually deeper just reeks of having to placate too many star names. Falcao won't get taken on permanently, and van Persie may be out, but LVG should use that as a chance to build around Rooney up top.
On another note I don't understand why people want to see Mata play in behind Rooney when it doesn't/won't work. They both like to occupy the same spaces and end up disrupting each other, Mata thrives on runs in behind the defence generally and Rooney can't and won't make those runs, will end up coming deep and frustrating everyone. I wouldn't mind seeing Di Maria as a 10 but playing in a free role, allowing him to run in behind the defence and stay Central or drift into channels if he wishes. Young and Januzaj either side of him.
Original post by Depleted
On another note I don't understand why people want to see Mata play in behind Rooney when it doesn't/won't work. They both like to occupy the same spaces and end up disrupting each other, Mata thrives on runs in behind the defence generally and Rooney can't and won't make those runs, will end up coming deep and frustrating everyone. I wouldn't mind seeing Di Maria as a 10 but playing in a free role, allowing him to run in behind the defence and stay Central or drift into channels if he wishes. Young and Januzaj either side of him.

He likes being deep in the midfield playing in the no.10 makes him frustrated and he put his back towards the goal instead of doing his long pacey runs from our defence ...
Thanks Lucio for ruining my day with the predictions :frown:
Di Maria's best when he's running at people - as we saw in his first few games - but LVG's cautious build-up play and approach really doesn't accommodate him.

Van Gaal is generally a second stage of the season manager too though. He's shown more tactical competency in recent games (playing wingers for one), so a lot of the tags we're labelled by don't seem to be surfacing as prominently as people would have you believe. We've started playing much more balanced football since West Ham e.g. With the loss at Swansea can be contributed to a freak goal (though it's worrying how we seem to struggle to come from a goal behind, bar the much maligned long ball tactic) and the injury of Van Persie makes it an easier decision really. It's clear Van Gaal doesn't trust Falcao to lead the line, so I think we can expect Rooney leading the line at some point, or worst case scenario he's at 10 and Falcao at 9. Makes me feel a lot more secure than I have been at other stages of the season. I think we'll be ok in the big games, the others well it's not so easy to break a bus as others know.

I wouldn't really call Van Gaal a second stage of season manager, he does ok at the second half of the season, but he's not ridiculously good like Rodgers who gets the team on a title winning run in such a challenging league. He's getting this tag from his 09/10 season at Bayern, where lets be honest little credit can be attributed to his managerial ability for that win when the team is as strong as Bayern, bar for Thomas Muller's introduction. Season after that where was his "second stage of the season" ability when Dortmund pummelled them 3-1?

Freak goal from Swansea, you played ok but it wasn't anything special. He played a team that people were asking for two months and you suddenly play decent football, shock horror.

Van Gaal deciding suddenly that a team that played with wingers for the past 25 years play better with wingers, amazing tactical revelation there woo 3 cheers for Van Gaal!!!

United haven't used a bus once this season too, just defensive tactics, sitting back and countering with the front 2/3 in advanced areas. E.g. vs Arsenal you had Di Maria and RVP in advanced areas with Rooney just in behind making it 3 people in the counter.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Mackay
Di Maria's best when he's running at people - as we saw in his first few games - but LVG's cautious build-up play and approach really doesn't accommodate him.

We bought di maria for counter attacking style of play and lvg is playing him in the opposite way.
Original post by realunited
We bought di maria for counter attacking style of play and lvg is playing him in the opposite way.

Agreed. Apparently a lot of it comes down to him trying to implement a tactic of moving side-to-side in banks, rather than taking the game to the opponent. United fans have been chanting 'attack, attack, attack!' quite regularly, which would hint at them not being massively enamoured with that approach.
Original post by jam277
I wouldn't really call Van Gaal a second stage of season manager, he does ok at the second half of the season, but he's not ridiculously good like Rodgers who gets the team on a title winning run in such a challenging league. He's getting this tag from his 09/10 season at Bayern, where lets be honest little credit can be attributed to his managerial ability for that win when the team is as strong as Bayern, bar for Thomas Muller's introduction. Season after that where was his "second stage of the season" ability when Dortmund pummelled them 3-1?

Freak goal from Swansea, you played ok but it wasn't anything special. He played a team that people were asking for two months and you suddenly play decent football, shock horror.

Van Gaal deciding suddenly that a team that played with wingers for the past 25 years play better with wingers, amazing tactical revelation there woo 3 cheers for Van Gaal!!!

United haven't used a bus once this season too, just defensive tactics, sitting back and countering with the front 2/3 in advanced areas. E.g. vs Arsenal you had Di Maria and RVP in advanced areas with Rooney just in behind making it 3 people in the counter.

I mean relatively to his first half, so we can expect and improvement in the next coming games (which logic would surely suggest anyway).

As for next two paragraphs well tactical competency /=/ tactical genius, and I never labelled him as such. Just that he's willing to be flexible and change it up when needed, and the ability to change it in the right way. Just that people labelling us with deficiencies shown in the first half of the season are wide of the mark (I.e conceding a lot of goals, imbalance in the team to an extent too) as many of these issues have been rectified to some degree.

I didn't mean us using a bus, I meant smaller teams parking it against us and us having to break it down. We play too slowly at the moment, need to move it across the pitch quicker and basically pack one side to get in behind. Having said that wingers should help, I will eat my **** if anyone calls for Valencia at RW though. Need to overload wings, drag players there and create gaps centrally for Mata/Rooney to do his thing.
(edited 9 years ago)

I didn't mean us using a bus, I meant smaller teams parking it against us and us having to break it down. We play too slowly at the moment, need to move it across the pitch quicker and basically pack one side to get in behind. Having said that wingers should help, I will eat my **** if anyone calls for Valencia at RW though. Need to overload wings, drag players there and create gaps centrally for Mata/Rooney to do his thing.

Yes! We keep attacking through the middle of teams that park the bus, and that to slower than my pet turtle. We need attack from the wings and then di maria should come flying through the middle like his goal against Leicester.
Attack from all angles while moving the ball fast.
Original post by Mackay
Agreed. Apparently a lot of it comes down to him trying to implement a tactic of moving side-to-side in banks, rather than taking the game to the opponent. United fans have been chanting 'attack, attack, attack!' quite regularly, which would hint at them not being massively enamoured with that approach.

Is it just me who finds the attack chants slightly pathetic and frankly embarrassing?

Seems like fans will boo when the team goes direct and boo when the team builds up play slowly.

I think a lot of fans need to grow up and realise that LvG I not SAF
Original post by realunited
Yes! We keep attacking through the middle of teams that park the bus and that too slower than my pet turtle. We need attack from the wings and then di maria should come flying through the middle like his goal against Leicester.
Attack from all angles while moving the ball fast.

From a Liverpool fan, I agree.

I'm not scared of the way you play in the slightest. If Di Maria was to gain the ball and run with it at players, though, I'd be shaking.

Latest